• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Meet Lazaro Armenteros, the next Cuban baseball star

ABC

One veteran American League international scout called him young and raw, but a rare talent with signs of Willie Mays and Bo Jackson, due to his combination of speed and power.

And soon, he hopes, to the United States, where all 30 teams plan to watch his showcase event on Jan. 8 at the San Diego Padres' complex in Cristobal. MLB is expected to rule by the end of January whether he's eligible to sign now, or must wait until the next signing period that begins July 2.

While the United States and Cuba have restored diplomatic relations, the trade embargo still is in effect. Armenteros had to defect, and with the financial backing of investors who will collect a percentage of his future earnings, he made three attempts to reach Haiti to establish residency. Finally, he reached his destination on a fourth attempt after a layover flight from Germany.

He remained in Haiti for seven grueling weeks before going to the Dominican Republic.

It was life in Haiti, Armenteros says, that further convinced him how badly he wants to be a big leaguer.

"It really woke me up,'' he said.

He resided in a house where electricity lasted only eight hours a day, and running water stopped for eight hours. If you needed to store water, you had to cover it, making sure it wasn't filled with flies and bugs.

Every other team plans to watch the Cuban version of Bryce Harper when he was a 16-year-old phenom out of Las Vegas, with his power, speed and exuberance.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2015/12/22/lazaro-armenteros-cuba-baseball/77750654/

None of this matters for the ANgels considering they blew through their international spending limit on that stud Baldoquin. THey are now penalized from spending big money for the next 2 signing periods - this current one and then next year's signing period - so even if they are interested(probably aren't anyway) they simply won't have enough to spend to land him

Man it was so awesome that they wasted their limit on Baldoquin and then, instead of continuing to spend during that signing period, they just did absolutely nothing. Just went and watched Yoan Moncada sign with the Red Sox as well as other international talent. Usually, when a team blows through its spending limit, they just continue to sign other players during that signing period before the penalties take effect. Of course, considering the Angels do absolutely nothing overseas, I guess the fact that they even signed Baldoquin was a minor miracle. He looks like he might become a solid backup SS going forward....so that's, uh, something

Most of their scouting was around his defense and how smooth he looked in the field. Unfortunately, they must not have seen enough of his bat. A .560 OPS in the Cal league is pretty hard to accomplish but he found a way....all the while showing zero power, zero base running ability and to top it off he even displayed a horrible approach at the plate with his wonderful 9/70 BB/K ratio in 289 AB

No wonder the new GM quickly traded for a SS under contract for the next 5 years. They were toast once Aybar was gone after this season

To be fair, Baldoquin hadn't played competitively in a long time.  He ended up with a .233 BA, after a first half at .175.  I want to see what he looks like coming in to camp, and see if he can handle a full season at AA. 

I think Baldoquin has a chance to be a good player.

That .233 BA, happened in the Cal League, at an age appropriate level. Hopefully it's just because he was rusty, but it's far more likely that he just isn't as good as the money we paid him.

To be fair, Baldoquin hadn't played competitively in a long time.  He ended up with a .233 BA, after a first half at .175.  I want to see what he looks like coming in to camp, and see if he can handle a full season at AA. 

I think Baldoquin has a chance to be a good player.

Yoan Moncada(the player the Angels should have went over their spending limit for) didn't struggle to adjust to baseball in the states

Batted .278/.380/.438 with 8 HR and 49 SB(with just 3 CS)

Baldoquin was probably the only guy they even scouted.

This is the Corky of baseball organizations.

If this is a reference to an old tv show, and I think I know which one, then you deserve a pat on the back.

If it isn't, then I don't care.

Most of their scouting was around his defense and how smooth he looked in the field. Unfortunately, they must not have seen enough of his bat. A .560 OPS in the Cal league is pretty hard to accomplish but he found a way....all the while showing zero power, zero base running ability and to top it off he even displayed a horrible approach at the plate with his wonderful 9/70 BB/K ratio in 289 AB

No wonder the new GM quickly traded for a SS under contract for the next 5 years. They were toast once Aybar was gone after this season

He had his gift year.  Getting acclimated?  fine.  Hadn't played in awhile?  ok.  

put up another 8/1 k/bb ratio? that's it.  

Turns out that Servais kinda sucks bro.