• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Nats Sign Daniel Murphy

Second Base

They're certainly looking like a drastically improved team.  Murphy probably figures to play 3B while Rendon is at 2B.  It also ended up being a 3-year deal, which is shorter than anticipated due to the dwindling number of suitors.  Since teams generally value a first round pick to be around 5 million dollars, you have to figure the Nats probably got him at a bit of a discount due to free agent compensation. 

That leaves Howie left on the board.  A two-year, low cost deal is appearing more likely for Howie, given that he's a year older that Murphy, his defensive value took a hit last season and he has a compensation pick attached to his name.  I'm not saying we need to bring him back, but I am saying that whoever signs him, is probably going to get him for a lot less than anticipated.

Is that allowed Scotty? And wouldn't the signing team lose their second round pick and some of their draft pool?

As long as the player consents it is permissible. The player would need to negotiate the contract and the teams would need to negotiate the trade pieces. Allowable under the CBA.

There shouldn't be any draft pick lost.

Edited by halosfan1970

Forfeiting a draft pick is going to be a big deal for most teams that might sign Howie. Someone mentioned a sign-and-trade with the Dodgers, but I don't know why the Dodgers would do that just to benefit another team. More than likely they had rather have a first round pick that the minor leaguer that they would be likely to get in return in a sign and trade.

If Murph got 3 years at 13-14 million a year, I figure Howie will get 2 years at 11-12.

Perhaps he'll be the first sign and trade. I've been waiting for that to happen.

Howie is only 32 and he's never really cashed in on a big $$$ contract. He's only made like $38M lifetime so I'm pretty sure that he thinks he deserves more. He might be asking for way to much like 4/60 to finish off his career. Edited by CALZONE

Forfeiting a draft pick is going to be a big deal for most teams that might sign Howie. Someone mentioned a sign-and-trade with the Dodgers, but I don't know why the Dodgers would do that just to benefit another team. More than likely they had rather have a first round pick that the minor leaguer that they would be likely to get in return in a sign and trade.

It's not in the Dodger's interest to do it this early, but in a scenario like Morales two years ago, they would be better off getting something of value rather than nothing. I don't see a sign and trade happening unless a player with a QO is still unsigned in February.

As long as the player consents it is permissible. The player would need to negotiate the contract and the teams would need to negotiate the trade pieces. Allowable under the CBA.

There shouldn't be any draft pick lost.

Since when is it allowable?

It has definitely been illegal before, and no team / player has done it before.

Since when is it allowable?

It has definitely been illegal before, and no team / player has done it before.

The CBA prevents the trade of a free agent signee prior to June 15th unless the player consents, in writing, to the transaction. So if the player negotiates the contract with the acquiring team and gives the written consent to the trade, a sign and trade would not violate the CBA. It hasn't been done to date, but that doesn't make it impermissible. The player and both teams would have to come to agreement. It seems possible but unlikely.

I was a little surprised HK didn't accept the QO

I was shocked he didn't take it after missing a month during the season. To upgrade from 9.5 to 15.8 vs going on the free market with a first rounder attached. Really interested to see what he winds up getting.