• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Steak Thread

I am not an expert or anything.  Just always felt that storing it without it being cooked to medium you are just letting it sit with possibly harmful bacteria.  I have absolutely no idea of that is true or not lol.

They want you to think that, and yeah, there is food safety like not letting it sit on a counter in room temperature for over two hours.

Red meat and fish you are fine, hence why people eat the shit raw. Poultry is the one you need to watch out for with salmonella. That said, people are more prone (so it seems) to get sick or food poisoning from fish

You basically have less than four hours to get it out of "the danger zone" (insert Archer joke here). You have four hours to get it under 41 degrees after cooking it to keep it safe.

Or this.

I worked a sandwich shop joint in high school and had to go through all the training and what not.

After seeing home brewers post, cooking rare it is and reheating the next day. Steak is the one thing I hate meal prepping because it almost sucks the next day.

Or this.

I worked a sandwich shop joint in high school and had to go through all the training and what not.

After seeing home brewers post, cooking rare it is and reheating the next day. Steak is the one thing I hate meal prepping because it almost sucks the next day.

The trick is to reheat it on a low power level. Should be juicy enough to force down your throat. Seriously though, who does meal prepping with red meat anyways? Assuming of course, you're meal prepping to get those gainz. Chicken chicken chicken and more chicken!!!! You can do turkey some days too.

Ribeye with salt/peppah on the bbq during the summer.  Winter, I like to sear on a hot ass cast iron and finish it in the oven (the steak). 

Found a Porterhouse recipe where it gets seared very quickly.  Then into the oven for a few minutes.  Take it out and separate with the knife) the cuts from the bone.  Put it all together loosely back in the cast and baste a garlic butter over all and back in the oven to finish. 

Pretty damn good.  (I've since lost the recipe/directions.  Gonna have to get that again.)

Or this.

I think these are health department scare tactics with almost no chance of actually harming anyone.

Growing up, my family had a big catering business. We'd cook huge pots of meat sauce, then just put them directly into the fridge. When we needed to thaw out meet, we'd put it on the butcher block and let it sit out over night. Nobody ever got sick.

Try marinating a cut of steak (ribeye, sirloin, or porterhouse) in Bernstein's Italian dressing for a couple hours before you grill it, it's really friggin good.

WIth filets I typically season with salt, garlic powder, and pepper. I get a pan on high heat with butter, and sear the outside until brown. Then I go to the grill. Cook until medium rare and you get those nice grill marks on them. Turn them once.

It's similar to the way I do rack of lamb too. Except I use rosemary and pepper the outer edges.

I think these are health department scare tactics with almost no chance of actually harming anyone.

Growing up, my family had a big catering business. We'd cook huge pots of meat sauce, then just put them directly into the fridge. When we needed to thaw out meet, we'd put it on the butcher block and let it sit out over night. Nobody ever got sick.

I disagree to an extent. There may be some things that are overly cautious, but it's basic science with the baselines they have in place.

Cross contamination and shit like cooking/eating chicken after its sat out for x amount of time has a legit chance of getting people sick...even if it's just the shits.

What you mention is completely normal.

i'll eat just about any cut of steak, but filet is my favorite.

my mom used to go to restaurants, and ask for filet mignon...butterflied and well done.

not joking.

my dad and i got to a point where we didn't like going out for steak with her along because we were afraid of what the chefs would do to our food.

did she put ketchup on it too?

Any good butcher shops recommendations in the I.E. or OC ?

When I lived in the OC there were two real butchers I would hit for special occasions.

One was in the Big Red Barn out on El Toro Road, about 2 miles north of the Fwy.

The other was in San Clemente, right off PCH on the main drag, headed towards the pier.

I'm sure someone can clarify the locations....but they were both pretty damn awesome, and also damn expensive, but on the rare occasions that I would splurge by going to a real butcher, it was all about quality and results, not cost.

Normal for me is ribeye rubbed with salt and pepper.  There's enough flavor in the marbling that you don't need other seasoning IMO

When I have the time, I smoke a tri tip.  Do a Santa Maria style rub (1T salt, 1T pepper, 1T garlic powder, 1T granulated onion, 1t oregano, 1t cayenne if you like heat, and chopped rosemary) and let marinate.  I put the coals on a piece of oak bark so it gets authentic gaucho flavor.  Turn every 30 minutes for 2 hours at 250F.  I find that it's perfect

The wife likes a bacon wrapped filet we found in a recipe book.  It has a gorgonzola mushroom sauce on top. 

My flank marinade is heavy on acids; vinegar and lime juice mostly, with onion, garlic, cilantro and jalapeno.  Even if I overcook it because I'm hammered, it's still delicious sliced up in tacos

When I was in high school, I cooked at Sizzler. (The one on Beach Blvd at 5 Points, I think it's still there)

Had a regular customer every Sunday afternoon that liked his steak done like a piece of charcoal.

I would literally put it on the back of the grill when I fired it up at 10 or 11, and let it cook until he got there at 2 or 3.

He would RAVE about how great it was.

Any good butcher shops recommendations in the I.E. or OC ? _____________________________________________________________________________

When I lived in the OC there were two real butchers I would hit for special occasions. One was in the Big Red Barn out on El Toro Road, about 2 miles north of the Fwy. The other was in San Clemente, right off PCH on the main drag, headed towards the pier. I'm sure someone can clarify the locations....but they were both pretty damn awesome, and also damn expensive, but on the rare occasions that I would splurge by going to a real butcher, it was all about quality and results, not cost.

I like Stater Bros for their butcher department.  And they always have specials.  Bone-in ribeyes are almost always on sale for $5.99/lb.  Tri-tip for $3.99/lb

I like Stater's T-bone sale when they do $5.99/lb. I'll go to the local Stater's and ask the butcher to cut me a couple of Porterhouse's while the sale is on. Same price, $5.99/lb for awesome Porterhouses. 

I haven't tried their ribeyes though. Every other store around sells USDA Choice. Stater's does Select. Is there much of a difference?