• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Eppler slow play might be working?

Erstad Grit

Cardinals signaled they are out.  They could go with Holliday/Grichuk/Piscotty.

Cubs got Heyward.

Giants got Cueto and Samardzija.

Tigers got Zimmerman.

Red Sox got Price.

Diamondbacks got Greinke.

I still think there are enough teams out there to drive the prices up or at least hold the prices up but we'll see...getting interesting.

It is kind of strange how slow the OF market has been this offseason. All the big 4 FA pitchers are already signed as well as some of the mid-tier options. OF has been a standstill except for the Heyward deal which was less than what most were anticipating

Trying to think what teams are out there who can shell out the money for these big FA Ofers. Dodgers certainly could but they'd need to work a trade with one of their current OFers to free up a spot. Cards have gone on record saying they aren't expected to chase a big OFer but that could just be all talk. Giants have already shelled out over $220 million on pitchers so they may not be able to fit another big contract into their budget

Mets could certainly afford to land one of the big ones.

Royals don't have the funds, White Sox are sort of in an awkward state of their franchise where they aren't good but they aren't awful, I can see the O's blowing some cash, Dodgers always have money so you can't rule them out, Yankee's could throw some cash around too. Mets are kind of forced to spend some money after getting to the World Series.

You have to figure the Yankees, Orioles, Royals, Mets and Nats are still in the race for the major OF's.

Given their needs, I think they're all strapped for cash just as much if not more than we are in the present situation.

The Angels are likely the leading candidate for both Upton and Gordon as well as potentially being the strongest suitor for Murphy or Kendrick as well. This doesn't mean we'll spend. Just that we have the unique opportunity to strike at top quality FA without as much competition, which frequently results in less money and creates better opportunity for team friendly deals.

Say all you want about "slow playing" but literally every team that isn't Az, Cubs and Giants are basically standing still. The Red Sox made the Kimbrel deal and the Price deal so I guess they have been busy, and the Mariners have done a ton, but is any of it been for really good or great players? Basically the Angels and 25 other teams are doing the same thing. We will get an outfielder, and more than likely one of the big three.

Say all you want about "slow playing" but literally every team that isn't Az, Cubs and Giants are basically standing still. The Red Sox made the Kimbrel deal and the Price deal so I guess they have been busy, and the Mariners have done a ton, but is any of it been for really good or great players? Basically the Angels and 25 other teams are doing the same thing. We will get an outfielder, and more than likely one of the big three.

I hope you are right about the OF. If we don't get help there, unlike those other teams, we don't have help on the farm--whether that be to plug and play or to use in a trade.  

The nats sucked last year. Their lineup is full of holes. Their pitching is massively overrated and they lost their best pitcher

They're not close to competing

Seriously? They have a much more complete roster than the Angels, and that is coming from me, someone that you might consider myopic.

I was just thinking about this as well.  

There is gonna be an option available pretty much no matter what.  They may already have it in Choi/Gentry.  The Halos wouldn't publicly state that at this point because I think the fan base would go nuts.  

But the way things are shaping up, you have to wonder who is still in play.  Usually when one of the big names drop off, the rest follow suit but the Heyward situation was unique because of his age elevating his cost relative to his skill set.  So he actually didn't really set the market.  

We might actually have held things up as was previously speculated as I am sure several agents expected the Halos to jump in on one of the players and be very aggressive.  

The bottom line is that any one of the main 3 OFers would work.  Granted, I have my preference for Upton and if we don't get him, I would downshift to Span, but most of that thought process is based on the perceived deals that Cespedes and Gordon stand to get.  Also, Chris Davis is still out there.  I don't want him, but I think he's gonna end up with the O's and take them out of play.  

I don't think the Yankees are gonna make a run at any of these guys.  They have a ton of money tied up in their OF already and have been talking about trying to get younger.

The Mets and Royals don't have the cash.  

The Nats are probably still in play for someone.  I could see the Rangers being a dark horse for someone.  The Cards and Giants might still be kicking tires as well.  But I don't think any of the teams still in play think they NEED one of these guys including us.  

So we can just let the market come to us. 

The other thing to keep in mind however, is that none of the mid and lower tier FA position players have signed yet as well.  Those guys start to get snagged when teams are out of the running on the big guys but maybe it's because the players and agents are waiting for the market to develop.  

There are a lot of position players left that can help us.  Maybe we wait till the very end and sign some guys on some one year deals.  Give up the draft picks and then get them back next year.  

Eppler has certainly seen what it's like to run a club in the biggest market.   Maybe he's an evil genius.  

I was just thinking about this as well.

There is gonna be an option available pretty much no matter what. They may already have it in Choi/Gentry. The Halos wouldn't publicly state that at this point because I think the fan base would go nuts.

But the way things are shaping up, you have to wonder who is still in play. Usually when one of the big names drop off, the rest follow suit but the Heyward situation was unique because of his age elevating his cost relative to his skill set. So he actually didn't really set the market.

We might actually have held things up as was previously speculated as I am sure several agents expected the Halos to jump in on one of the players and be very aggressive.

The bottom line is that any one of the main 3 OFers would work. Granted, I have my preference for Upton and if we don't get him, I would downshift to Span, but most of that thought process is based on the perceived deals that Cespedes and Gordon stand to get. Also, Chris Davis is still out there. I don't want him, but I think he's gonna end up with the O's and take them out of play.

I don't think the Yankees are gonna make a run at any of these guys. They have a ton of money tied up in their OF already and have been talking about trying to get younger.

The Mets and Royals don't have the cash.

The Nats are probably still in play for someone. I could see the Rangers being a dark horse for someone. The Cards and Giants might still be kicking tires as well. But I don't think any of the teams still in play think they NEED one of these guys including us.

So we can just let the market come to us.

The other thing to keep in mind however, is that none of the mid and lower tier FA position players have signed yet as well. Those guys start to get snagged when teams are out of the running on the big guys but maybe it's because the players and agents are waiting for the market to develop.

There are a lot of position players left that can help us. Maybe we wait till the very end and sign some guys on some one year deals. Give up the draft picks and then get them back next year.

Eppler has certainly seen what it's like to run a club in the biggest market. Maybe he's an evil genius.

I disagree with a lot of this

Eppler has experience in an FO that is used to overpaying massively for players

I disagree with a lot of this

Eppler has experience in an FO that is used to overpaying massively for players

Yet you want him to be first to the party and sign a guy, which would ultimately be an overpay because in order to sign a guy right off the bat you would have to blow him away with an offer.

Obviously you don't know much about the nats current situation

Go position by position and tell me who has the better roster. We beat them at CF, RF and SS. They will now move Rendon to third is my guess. The team doesn't have a talent problem they have a clubhouse problem. Who would you rather have as your number one next season Scherzer or Richards? Your number two Strausberg or Heaney? Number three Gonzalez or Santiago? Seriously, I am the one considered a homer and you think we have a better roster than they do?

you gotta figure the reds aren't buyers.  They have three or four position players to sell actually

toronto added pitching early so they are likely done. boston, cle, tampa, miami, atlanta, philly, minny, pitts, milwau, oaklan, colorado aren't likely to spend any more or at all.  don't think detroit will as well.  

bmore, nyy, wash, nym, kc, cws, stl, lad, sdp, sfg, laa, rangers could all spend some money.  seattle probably won't.  houston might but if they did it would likely be on pitching.  

the FA pool was deep this year so it makes sense to wait it out.  

The other thing the Halos could be doing is waiting to see how much of Wilson's salary they can off load so they are waiting for the mid tier pitching market to take some form.  

It's pretty fun to follow right now even though nothing is happening.