• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Middle Class Losing Ground

i'm still at work, cat. i posted during lunch and my free period. we have classes through friday this week and then we're off on like our thirtieth or fortieth (you lose track after a while) holiday of the year.

Part of me envisioned you with your feet up on the desk posting on your phone while saying "quiet you little bastards I'm telling someone how hard I work."  

I'm indifferent about teacher wages, but way too many preach underpaid the same way hostess/bartenders/waitresses do and it bugs me, like they don't have options in life.

I have absolutely no complaints about my salary. I certainly wouldn't mind making more, but I didn't go into this career expecting to make tons of money. I'm also making more than I ever thought I would. I wish my Christmas bonus was more, but that's a pretty minor thing.

CF8, i disagree about teaching, in terms of saying it isnt stressful. Teachers today are dealing with the failures at home, so not only are they having to deal with slower kids (not because they were born defective, but because their parents never taught them fundamentals before they got to school) as well as what juan savage is talking about in breakdown of morals (which again, starts in the home).

I agree with you about teachers wanting more money when they havent increased their job skills. Same as cops, firfighters, nurses, etc etc (any job). Im of the belief as long as youre making a fair wage, youre not owed more being that its your choice to stay or leave for greener pastures.

Switching gears, i also think theres been a shift in what defines middle class. I assume (too young to say for sure) that in the "wonder years", middle class homes had one car that they drove into the ground. They owned one tv (which obviously were a lot more expensive). And the only "toys" kids had were sports equipment, dolls, comic books and things like that. Id also assume the kids had "a" jacket, a few pairs of levis and a pair of converse.

Today, the middle class has all kinds of materialistic things. Except in the really low economies like appalachia, the south, the desert, etc, even the lower classes have these things. Every dumpy apartment i go to, which has roaches crawling everywhere, usually has an SUV in the parking spot, a giant tv, an xbox and smart phones. Lots of jordans, etc etc. Youd also be suprised how many of these homes has a single income, and ine that doesnt pay anything much to begin with.

So i think again, its a failure on us as a culture to learn to invest our money and make a better life a decade down the road

Teaching bad kids is stressful. Teaching with certain principals is stressful. I'm only saying that many people feel stress because their employment is tenuous. Teachers don't usually have that kind of stress. I think teaching one hour in some situations is like working two or three in other occupations as far as effort and stress.  

CF8, I struggle reading your generalization of teachers especially when you are responding to a well respected member of the board who happens to be a teacher, it's a pretty shitty thing to do. It's one of those things where maybe you keep your shitty opinion to yourself. Not to mention there are many ways a profession can be stressful and teaching has stress in spades.

Oh as far as tipping your skycap, I would never go cheap, ever, but I would not tip based on what his mortgage might be.

You have a point to a degree. I'll leave it at that.  

After some reading, I realized I have yet to ever see a sky cap with paystubs, W2's, or tax returns indicating 150-200k.

I'm indifferent about teacher wages, but way too many preach underpaid the same way hostess/bartenders/waitresses do and it bugs me, like they don't have options in life.

They don't report tips. I thought that was obvious. They generally only make $12-18/hr wages.

i don't know what your deal is against teachers, but i'm guessing either you had really bad experiences in school, you sucked as a student, or you're just simply trolling like a boss.

any time you want to sack up and come face a hundred 12/13 year olds, plan interesting lessons for them, and deal with all the crap they're able and willing to bring, plus their parents, give me a holler. i'll give you my classes for the day, but i doubt you'd be able to last until lunch.

what i do know is that you haven't got the first clue about what a teacher does or what a teacher has to go through. without a doubt in my mind, it would be best if just closed your ill-informed yapper about something you know so very little about.

You just gave me your biggest challenges at work. I'm more underwhelmed at the stresses of teaching than ever.

I've always believed that being a teacher is a big responsibility so I'm glad that there are people like you willing to step up and make a difference.

His deal is to be a judgmental guy that exaggerates everything possible, it's kind of sad. The kind of guy that is more interested in spewing his "ill-informed" opinion than actually trying to change someones opinion or getting people to understand his opinion. Basically a loud mouth.

child please.

I have absolutely no complaints about my salary. I certainly wouldn't mind making more, but I didn't go into this career expecting to make tons of money. I'm also making more than I ever thought I would. I wish my Christmas bonus was more, but that's a pretty minor thing.

plus, be honest tank...you get to steal those little chocolate milk cartons whenever you want. Thats a hell of a perk from my end

Teaching bad kids is stressful. Teaching with certain principals is stressful. I'm only saying that many people feel stress because their employment is tenuous. Teachers don't usually have that kind of stress. I think teaching one hour in some situations is like working two or three in other occupations as far as effort and stress.

yeah, agreed, if youre teaching in a good school with kids who actually worry about consequences and you you still have their respect, its not as bad. But teachers in bad schools, with punk kids that constantly cause problems, parents who dont care, and a school admin that wont get your back for fear of lawsuits, i would never take that job whatever the pay was. I hate dealing with sh*tbird kids at my job. Couldnt deal with it all day long, all week long, all year long

On the flip side, ive thought about getting my credential to teach when i retire. But would only take a job at a decent school, with kids who are trying. Otherwise id go work at home depot ot something else

yeah, agreed, if youre teaching in a good school with kids who actually worry about consequences and you you still have their respect, its not as bad. But teachers in bad schools, with punk kids that constantly cause problems, parents who dont care, and a school admin that wont get your back for fear of lawsuits, i would never take that job whatever the pay was. I hate dealing with sh*tbird kids at my job. Couldnt deal with it all day long, all week long, all year long

On the flip side, ive thought about getting my credential to teach when i retire. But would only take a job at a decent school, with kids who are trying. Otherwise id go work at home depot ot something else

Ah, but good kids usually come with concerned parents and that can be a PITA. The best situation would be teaching the bright motivated kids of prison inmates.