• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Alternatives to the two-party system: What and how?

It is easy to criticize the shitty situation we have, but what is the alternative? This thread is to post actual ideas - both what you think would work better and how we can possible get there.

Clearly there are no quick fixes and barring a complete collapse and/or revolution, change will likely be slow and grueling - perhaps with micro-collapses and mini-revolutions ushering it forward. But as answering the questions above is probably an impossible task, how about a different angle on it? Specifically, which areas and issues are "hot-spots" that could provide the most bang per buck, so to speak, in terms of change? What issues do you think should be focused on and which de-emphasized?

One area that directly relates to the two parties is campaign finance reform. I know this will be unpopular with the libertarians, but we need to overturn Citizens United. This actually goes well beyond the two parties, but does lock us into the system that we have due to the (corporate and billionaire) financial support of those two parties.

OK, have at it folks. Enough bitching. Let's see some ideas.

A truly charismatic (like one in a generation) and probably well self-funded candidate that can quickly ride the tide of momentum to poach enough voters from each party disenchanted from the existing options to create a viable third party.  Likely in the center and pushing each party away from the middle. Though perhaps a further left part could push the Democrats back toward their warm cozy middle?  Like a Bernie Sanders x 20.

I think the biggest problem is that the country is too big now. The only real solution is to push the politics and the money back downstream and away from the federal government. This will help curb the power of the national parties and make elected officials serve their districts instead of their overlord. In theory anyway.

mars-attacks-congress-o.gif

But my solution would be simple yet complicated.  Take the politicians out of Washington DC.  With technology today, the politicians should be working/serving in the office of the area where they were elected.  For votes, speeches, whatever, they can teleconference in. 

This would put the politicians in direct contact with those that voted them in.  Instead of in direct contact with all the special interest groups in DC. 

Until you get big money out of the system, no chance. Campaign finance reform is a must. Gerrymandered districts as well. Any other discussions are pointless.

But that isn't going to happen in the two party system so....

5333943950_2c062d7465.jpg

when jerry brown ran for prez he had a limit of $100 per donation. i really liked that idea and would like to see something like that implemented.

but red is right - until big money is taken out of the equation, nothing is likely to change. john adams way back in the day warned about the dangers of having a two-party system, and he'd be furious at what our system looks like today.

i think thomas is also right in that we need a real charismatic person to come in from a third party and grab our attention. our system is crying for someone to come in and rescue it and get us away from the crapfest our system has turned into today.

But the coalition has two parties in it so they are forced to compromise.

Right now, the two parties have to negotiate between the different factions internally. If you had multiple parties, you'd have three center-right parties: Libertarian, mainstream pro-market, and a religious, socially conservative one. You'd have two or three center-left parties: Green, union, and a general left one. 

It would be the same thing because any vote on any bill is either "yes" or "no." 2 choices. One party would bring something up and they'd scramble to get 51%. 

I don't know what the answer is. There's no perfect scenario. I do know at the end of the day, democracy leads to people enriching themselves through the ballot box.

Maybe there is no perfect answer. However, democracy appears to be the best answer we have. It has made it possible for millions to have a fulfilled human experience. If you're looking for perfection, I would turn to God, for comfort in that life will never be perfect. As far as the ballot box is concerned, an uptick in informed voters wouldn't hurt.

Edited by Jim