• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Zobrist to the Cubs. 4/56

Docwaukee

The more I think about it, the more pissed I am that we weren't in on this.  14 per for a guy that could have been useful at either 2b or LF.  Whatever.  The current Halo plan continues to significantly diverge from the line that I would have them on, but what the **** do I know. 

By the way, Starlin Castro is like a crappier version of Erick Aybar.  Not sure why anyone wants him, dude had an OBP under .300 last season.  .661 OPS.  Even in his AS years he never came close to a .800 OPS.

Edited by nate

$56MM for Zobrist is pretty low. I'm quite surprised by the price in all honesty. At the very minimum he should have made what V-Mart made ($68MM).

Maybe he just liked the ability to be close to home and being back with Maddon too much. Angels could have afforded $14MM per year though.

Still time remains, but are we seeing Arte go discount due to Hamilton especially and even Pujols?

On the one hand, it would mean no more stupid contracts to aging superstars.

On the other hand, it means opening all avenues including Latin America and Asia, and upgrading scouting and development coaching.

Will Arte do that?

Edited by Angel Oracle

Interesting to know where Zobrist fits in. Even if they trade one of Baez/Castro, which I think they will (Castro, not Baez), they have excess infielders.

They're also lacking a true CF, and neither Zobrist, Schwarber, or Soler will play CF.

Here's a crazy proposition/prediction...

3 team trade (Cubs, Indians, New York)

Cubs Acquire

Carlos Carrasco

Indians Acquire

Brett Gardner (Yankees pay 3 mil per)

Kyle Schwarber

Jason Hammel

Yankees Acquire

Starlin Castro

Jacob Hannemann

Cubs then sign Span and replace their 1-2 hitters in Fowler-Schwarber w/ Span-Zobrist and create a sick rotation or Arrieta,Lester,Carrasco,Lackey,Hendricks

The more I think about it, the more pissed I am that we weren't in on this.  14 per for a guy that could have been useful at either 2b or LF.  Whatever.  The current Halo plan continues to significantly diverge from the line that I would have them on, but what the **** do I know. 

If it's any consolation, Zobrist is at the age when offensive production can go off the cliff without any warning. A four-year deal for a player that age is far too long of a contract.

If it's any consolation, Zobrist is at the age when offensive production can go off the cliff without any warning. A four-year deal for a player that age is far too long of a contract.

Ya, but he should be pretty good for a couple more years. I'd bet he has another 10 war in his tank which is worth a lot more than $56m in this market.

Y'all do understand that it's entirely possible Zobrist wasn't interested in signing here, right?

It sounds as if he took less money to play for a great young team in his home state with a familiar and well-liked manager.

Just because he took 4/56 doesn't mean he wouldn't have been 4/68 or something for the Angels, or a deal that wouldn't have been worth it.

Agree. Long contract for an aging player is something we need to stay away from.