• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Castrovince predicts Hanley Ramirez to Angels in the Winter Meetings in his latest piece

KevinJ14

3. Angels trade for Hanley Ramirez

When Dave Dombrowski wants something to happen, it tends to happen, as evidenced yet again this week. But even Dombrowski is going to have trouble moving the $68.2 million owed to Ramirez over the next three seasons (with a $22 million vesting option for 2019). So this will be fascinating.

The Red Sox's financial motivation here is obvious. As currently constructed, with David Price aboard, their 2016 payroll, as calculated for luxury tax purposes, will be well north of $200 million, and they'll be paying an escalated 30-percent fee on any amount over $189 million after paying a 17.5 percent tax in 2015. Yet from a pure baseball standpoint, you do wonder if the Red Sox are better off praying for a Hanley bounceback as a full-time first baseman rather than counting on Travis Shaw's second-half breakout proving sustainable and/or finding another fit in free agency or trade.

But if Boston does unload Hanley, the Angels are by far the most logical fit for his services. The Halos could give him DH at-bats and use him at first to spell Albert Pujols, who by this point needs his number of innings in the infield limited. There's also the possibility, however faint, of Ramirez handling the hot corner for a club that will have a huge question mark there if David Freese isn't re-signed.

I wouldn't expect the Angels -- or any team -- to take on the $68.2 million and give anything of substance back. The question, then, will be how much of Hanley's money the Red Sox are willing to swallow to get a deal done.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/158701152/winter-meetings-predictions-heyward-samardzija

They take on one bad salary four years ago(Wells), due to an incompetent GM. So that must mean they'll take any teams over priced trash? In no way are the Angels the most logical fit for Ramirez, I don't care how much money Boston eats. They have no where to play him when he isn't on the DL and I'd prefer they didn't waste what little money they have to spend on a DH.

I wouldn't say 1B/DH isn't a need, it just isn't so pressing that the Angels even need to entertain a trade like this.  I mean, yeah, we have Albert and Cron there.  But Albert's recovering from foot surgery, and probably won't be ready to go until May and also probably won't even be in any decent sort of form until June.  Plus there's Cron, who isn't completely proven at this point.  

I'd like to see the angels go after a cheaper deal for Justin Morneau or if the cost is right, throw a couple million at Chris Carter or Pedro Alvarez.  If it doesn't work out, they're bench depth, which we don't have. 

But no Hanley. 

If Boston eats at least $30 million if not more of the 66 owed, but closer to $40 million and gives us Holt for either CJ or Santiago.  I'd do it. 

The main chip here wouldn't be Hanley, but Holt for 5 years of club control.  Heck, at 3/$26 or 4/$48 you might be able to flip him for some prospects.