• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Losing a pet....

Chuck

I am very sorry to hear that Chuck. I don't know you or your dogs, but I can only tell from the pictures that you've posted that she was an amazing animal.

It's rough. My yellow lab is 13.5 and on her way out. Thanksgiving morning we took her to have a small procedure done to alleviate some pain. I cried like a baby all Thanksgiving. I am sorry for your loss.

Just about the same time I saw Chuck's FB post about this, I realized one of our two cats was missing. They're both inside cats and this one snuck out when I was letting the dogs in.

Got the little dude as a kitten about a year and a half ago. My sister-in-law found him under a milk crate with a rock on top; he'd been left there to die. Last thing I wanted at the time was another pet.

He seemed to know this and he became my little dude. We loved annoying each other. Every night when I came home from work he was waiting for me, looking out of a hole he'd chewed in a window blind by his cat tree.

He's been gone for three nights now. The temp has been freezing each of those nights. Odds aren't good but I'm still holding out hope. Every time I walk by that window and see the hole in the blind I miss that little a-hole. He's my little dude and I want him back so we can annoy each other again.

I feel way different than I used to regarding the loss of an animal.  I've had pets before but they were generally someone else's pet, really.  And felt like more of a burden than anything else.  I've never really wanted the responsibilty of a pet.  So last April, my wife says she wants to get our kids a dog.  A small dog.  Turns out she has been secretly researching it and now wants to put the plan into action.  

We are both originally from SoCal.  She grew up in Downey, went to Warren High School.  I grew in Paramount.  Stayed locally until we moved to southern Washington (just north of Portland, OR) four years ago.  We go to this shelter in Oregon that apparently rescues dogs from shelters in California and pick up this little poodle/bishon frise mix that is from....Downey, Ca.  Begrudgingly I agree because I figure it'll end up like every dog before.  It'll be my job.  But this dog is friggin' awesome and who does he love more than anyone else?  You guessed it.....this guy.  I'm already worried about my affection for him.  Expecting to be a mess when he goes, but that is a long time from now so I won't obsess.

Anyway, I now "get" your pain and the love you feel for you little girl, Chuck.  I actually got a little misty reading your opening.  Sucks and my condolences to you and your family.  Hang in there.

Just about the same time I saw Chuck's FB post about this, I realized one of our two cats was missing. They're both inside cats and this one snuck out when I was letting the dogs in.

Got the little dude as a kitten about a year and a half ago. My sister-in-law found him under a milk crate with a rock on top; he'd been left there to die. Last thing I wanted at the time was another pet.

He seemed to know this and he became my little dude. We loved annoying each other. Every night when I came home from work he was waiting for me, looking out of a hole he'd chewed in a window blind by his cat tree.

He's been gone for three nights now. The temp has been freezing each of those nights. Odds aren't good but I'm still holding out hope. Every time I walk by that window and see the hole in the blind I miss that little a-hole. He's my little dude and I want him back so we can annoy each other again.

Hoping your cat finds its way home and healthy, Glen.  :(

• 3 months later...

Had to say goodbye to one of my dogs today. She was 9-10 years old, Shepard/Lab mix. Her name was Casey, named her after Kitchman, that should give you a timeline of her age. Very well mannered outside dog. She always looked like she was smiling. She weighed over 100lbs and had a deep bark that provided some security for the house when I worked at night. I'll miss her, very tough day, but it was the right decision.

Pretty sudden from our point of view, not really sure how long she was struggling. Yesterday we noticed her constantly trying to go poop but wasn't able to, she was also favoring one leg. I went out to take a look and she was kind of a mess around her butt. I wasn't around the house Friday or Saturday to know if she had this issue for a few days. Took her to the vet this morning, by the time I got her to the vet she was bleeding (when I put her in the car there was no signs of blood). Doc probed her a bit and she had multiple rock hard tumors. Gave me the options, which even if they weren't cancerous would be incredibly painful for her. So I opted to not put her through it.

It was a difficult decision but the more I thought about it the more I knew putting her through that would have been selfish on my part.

I have a 13 year old black lab named Champ, who is the best dog I have ever had. When I bought Champ I also bought her sister. Sadly when they were both puppies, less than a year old, the sister (Halo), was hit by a car. So Casey, the dog that just passed away, was Champs dog so to speak to keep him company. Champ has been an inside dog, Casey never was. Casey was just too aggressive with the cats, that it never worked out for her to be in the house. So this week Champ has been in the house again hanging with our little black lab puppy that is about 6 months old. So long story short Champ isn't lonely and gets to spend a lot more time indoors, so he doesn't seem to be missing his friend.

• 5 years later...

Wow, @True Grich you reacted to a post I made in this thread, which caused me to read some of my posts in here.  

In May of 2017 we had to say goodbye to Champ, he was 14, it was days before my sons wedding, but at least we had the whole family here including my ex wife to be able to say him.  

This past week, on Sunday we said goodbye to Buddy the Cat.  He was just shy of 17 years old.  We came home to find that he has passed away in a chair in the dining room.  He was near the end (obviously) so while it wasn’t a surprise, it still totally sucked.  My kids didn’t get to say goodbye to Buddy, but they knew it was only a matter of time for the old guy.   

54 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Wow, @True Grich you reacted to a post I made in this thread, which caused me to read some of my posts in here.  

In May of 2017 we had to say goodbye to Champ, he was 14, it was days before my sons wedding, but at least we had the whole family here including my ex wife to be able to say him.  

This past week, on Sunday we said goodbye to Buddy the Cat.  He was just shy of 17 years old.  We came home to find that he has passed away in a chair in the dining room.  He was near the end (obviously) so while it wasn’t a surprise, it still totally sucked.  My kids didn’t get to say goodbye to Buddy, but they knew it was only a matter of time for the old guy.   

Very sorry for your loss. I know how hard it is lose a family member. 

On 4/23/2021 at 6:00 PM, Stradling said:

It's obvious your pets were loved as they seem to live nice, long lives. It's always hard to see them go though. 

I lost my cat of 16 years a couple years ago. It still hurts. I'm not good at moving on and accepting things.

I have another cat, but it's just not the same. She's very aloof and hides a lot. 

Halo was the most loving animal I've ever seen. She was always in my lap, or sleeping next to me. She would greet me every day after work. 

I know this forum hates cats and will think it's dumb but that cat was the best friend I've ever had, and ever will have. And 2+ years later I still miss her and tear up thinking about her. I just want my friend back.