• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gun Control

while i won't try to dispute your assertion about gun violence prior to video games, i wonder if the age at which kids resort to using guns to solve conflicts has stayed the same or dropped to younger and younger ages. i'm guessing the latter in this day and age.

You're guessing while there are studies for you to review and have a complete answer. GTS. 

In any case we are less violent as a whole as time moves along. You can look at 30 years ago or 300 hundred years ago.

I recently spent a day at a Nevada Pardons Board hearing. The top request was restoration of Second Amendment rights. Most cited hunting as a reason. The guy who was continuing to compete in shooting events after finding out that he couldn't legally possess a firearm didn't get a favorable vote, nor did the woman who threatened to discontinue her National Guard service if she wasn't approved.

The Pardons Board here consists of the Governor, the Attorney General and all members of the Supreme Court.

Among first world countries with low gun ownership the murder rates are significantly lower than the US across the board

That's true. US has a murder rate of 3.8 per 100,000. That's on par with or higher than almost all countries in Europe or Asia.

Here's the list: (sort by rate)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

The list is dominated by south/central america and africa but some of those nice vacation spots are high on the list too. I scuba'd in Belize back in the 90's and it was incredibly nice. I wonder if the place went downhill or I just didn't notice at the time.

Oh, and welcome to ignore CF8. You bring an odd combination of arrogant belligerence and stupidity to the board. I understand a little better now the interactions you've had with MP and Insidepitch and many others. I don't even have time to read all the quality posts from people who know how to act like adults on this site so I sure don't have time for your trash.

The Swiss comparison is poor:

1. There is mandatory military service and the issued rifle goes home with the person.

2. It is an affluent country in Western Europe.

FYI, there is a slight problem with men shooting their wives.

BTW, there are areas with strong gun laws and strong drug laws, like the UK, that do not see the levels of violent crime as reported in many Latin American countries.

beat me to it

Ill also add that the argument about gun laws and violence associated is silly. The same gun laws exist in orange county as they do in LA. Irvine vs Santa Ana. The issue is far deeper than what the laws say

People point to chicago and say "they have gun control laws and its violent as hell". And this is true. What it leaves out is thst aside from south chicago, its not a bad city. It also leaves out that places like houston, atlanta, new orlleans etc are some of the most violent cities in the country by far, with murder stats per capita topping cities like LA and NY. The difference being gun laws are more relaxed in the south.

Take those two points together and what do you get? It means there is no correlation.

Gun laws make a dent (but dont stop) regular people from shooting each other. They dont realy do much to stop either the crazy or the "who gives a F" gangster.

beat me to it

Ill also add that the argument about gun laws and violence associated is silly. The same gun laws exist in orange county as they do in LA. Irvine vs Santa Ana. The issue is far deeper than what the laws say

People point to chicago and say "they have gun control laws and its violent as hell". And this is true. What it leaves out is thst aside from south chicago, its not a bad city. It also leaves out that places like houston, atlanta, new orlleans etc are some of the most violent cities in the country by far, with murder stats per capita topping cities like LA and NY. The difference being gun laws are more relaxed in the south.

Take those two points together and what do you get? It means there is no correlation.

Gun laws make a dent (but dont stop) regular people from shooting each other. They dont realy do much to stop either the crazy or the "who gives a F" gangster.

Say hello to the ignore list for shredding the Swiss comparison.

HAHAA

Montana circumvented that by claim it is a state's rights issue and they were constitutionally protected from federal interference in state affairs. They enacted a law that stated their citizens could purchase items that were under federal restrictions provided that the product was manufactured in the state of Montana. That included assault rifles and night vision scopes.

So in the argument of what is the federal government doing to restrict access, you have states that can enact their own individual state laws that supercede. Everything from wait periods to gun show sales, even the type of firearms made available. This will never be a one law cures all issue.

Edited by notti