• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Tiger's Sign Zimmerman for $110M/5 Years

CJ Wilson can block as many as 8 trades moving forward. He's going to be tough to move unless Arte gives him away. Again those genius Dipoto backloaded deals with one sided no trade incentives have come back to bite the organization in the ass. CJ is a SoCal guy so he's not going anywhere.

Agreed.  Dude is coming off of an inconsistent year, an injury, and is due $20M this year.  I'm baffled by why people think he has any real trade value.

CJ Wilson can block as many as 8 trades moving forward. He's going to be tough to move unless Arte gives him away. Again those genius Dipoto backloaded deals with one sided no trade incentives have come back to bite the organization in the ass. CJ is a SoCal guy so he's not going anywhere.

You do realize that C.J. Wilson only costs 15.5MM towards our AAV payroll this year right? Those backloaded deals actually make our AAV LESS in the later years of the contract. Similar thing with Jered Weaver right now too (go look at the first Primer article and look at the chart). It actually saves payroll later on in the contract.

Being able to block 8 teams out of 30 is and means nothing. And I bet some of those 8 teams Wilson would drop his no trade clause if he thought he was going to a contender so it means even less.

And in regards to C.J. I really think he purposely went and had that surgery to prepare for his walk year. He was quoted as complaining about his shoulder in Spring Training 2015 and that theme continued throughout the year. You're right about that C.J. is a SoCal guy but his time left in Anaheim is winding down and maybe faster if the team trades him to one of the 22 different teams he can't block.

Edited by ettin

i understand your point and i don't disagree, but that comparison is unfair to cj wilson. he's performed significantly better than wells during his angels tenure.

Regardless, CJ Wilson falls into that Wells \ Hamilton category where we need to send lots of cash with any deal because his value is no longer equivilent to his salary.

I believe Wilson still has great value. If I recall correctly, he had surgery to clean out some "floating bodies" in his elbow.  He was fine the first time he had this done. If the Angels pay down enough of the contract, somone WILL bite.  The key is pay down enough to extract a real prospect in return.  If it means paying 65-70% of the contract, so be it.  This is the only way to restock the farm and get some depth. 

I believe Wilson still has great value. If I recall correctly, he had surgery to clean out some "floating bodies" in his elbow. He was fine the first time he had this done. If the Angels pay down enough of the contract, somone WILL bite. The key is pay down enough to extract a real prospect in return. If it means paying 65-70% of the contract, so be it. This is the only way to restock the farm and get some depth.

I agree. The thing is that with the direction we are heading towards, i'd much rather get mlb-ready talent, particular a 2nd or 3rd baseman. I think if we focus on assembling a young, cost-controlled MLB team we will have years to rebuild our farm.

Only problem is we probably wouldn't be able to land a young long term player at those positions. I'd kick tires centering a piece around CJ and Bedrosian to LA or SF for Kiké Hernandez or Tomlinson. They make sense due to their pitching needs. I feel like CJ would find success in either of those 2 environments which will probably net him a QO and a draft pick to whichever team.

Edited by marcosantinia12

According to what I read, this is completely backward. Wilson can block trades to all but eight teams. He can block trades to the other 22 clubs. This severely limits the Angels' ability to deal him unless it is some place where he wants to go.

C.J. Wilson agrees to five year, $77.5-million deal with Angels

Regardless, CJ Wilson falls into that Wells \ Hamilton category where we need to send lots of cash with any deal because his value is no longer equivilent to his salary.

yeah, except you don't know that to be true. it hasn't happened and it may not happen. 

the truth is he's probably worth about 18 million dollars in today's market. add in the fact that his contract is expiring, which minimizes risk from any team acquiring him and he has reasonable trade value. 

i believe that all of this is wasted breath and i predict cj wilson pitches all of 2016 with the angels, barring a dramatic fall from the angels in the standings.

Edited by ukyah

essentially it plays out as a major payroll exchange -- Sherzer (spelled wrong) with Zimmerman being the player to be named later (a year later) in exchange of F/A signings between the two teams with the Nationals taking on much more salary with Sherzer........I'll check the spelling -- I'm sure it's spelled correctly on his Nat checks.

A few weeks ago, I liked the idea of Zimmerman in Anaheim but I quickly turned against that idea. Declining fastball and strikeout rate+being a former TJ guy with a lot of innings racked up since the surgery is a huge recipe for disaster. Good idea to not throw that money at him.

I'm also perplexed that Detroit is doing this but their owner wants to win and the 2nd WC spot means most teams want to try to remain competitive. However, if some of the older guys age anymore, they'll be a sub .500 team with a high payroll and bad contracts. They could quickly turn into the Phillies of 2012-2015. 

I'm also perplexed that Detroit is doing this but their owner wants to win and the 2nd WC spot means most teams want to try to remain competitive. However, if some of the older guys age anymore, they'll be a sub .500 team with a high payroll and bad contracts. They could quickly turn into the Phillies of 2012-2015. 

Yup....  He's not getting any younger and he desperately wants a WS title...   

Edited by Inside Pitch