• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Professional juries: yay or nay?

Glen

I'd be pro for professional juries.  I think the main thing is still you need a pool of jurors that the prosecution and defense can select from.  But comprised of people that would be hard to disqualify.  

It would also speed up the process quite a bit.  Because the selection process could be as long as the trial.  

Maybe if they're independent contractors who only get paid when they are assigned to a trial. That would give them initiative to actually want to be on the jury.

Then assign a moderator who oversees the process and grades each juror on level of participation, level of interest, and not saying the n word.

Obviously corruption would still exist, but it would behoove the jurors to not be stupid and actually put effort into the case. If they score low, they are unlikely to be hired for a new trial. Assuming guidelines are in place.

while i can see some advantages to having a professional jury pool, the biggest problem is having an impartial group. any of you who have witnessed voire dire know there are always a lot of people booted because they're perceived to have some kind of bias. 

I have jury duty coming up in a couple weeks. I am pretty confident I'll get bumped if it is a civil case. But if it is a criminal case, it won't be so easy.

Truthfully, I assume if you don't testify on your own behalf it is because (1) you did the crime and can't withstand cross examination, and/or (2) you have a prior criminal record and don't want that evidence coming in. Either way, I am suspect of you and probably inclined to prejudge your guilt.

I hope when I convey that feeling to the judge I'll get dismissed.

Edited by wopphil

I have jury duty coming up in a couple weeks. I am pretty confident I'll get bumped if it is a civil case. But if it is a criminal case, it won't be so easy.

Truthfully, I assume if you don't testify on your own behalf it is because (1) you did the crime and can't withstand cross examination, and/or (2) you have a prior criminal record and don't want that evidence coming in. Either way, I am suspect of you and probably inclined to prejudge your guilt.

I hope when I convey that feeling to the judge I'll get dismissed.

my surefire way to get dismissed - they wouldn't have arrested you if you weren't guilty.

My last jury selection went like this. It was a civil trial in a personal injury case resulting from an auto accident.

Defense attorney: What is your profession and where do you work?

Me: I am a Registered Nurse at XYZ Hospital.

Defense attorney: Thank you, you are dismissed.

I have been called for jury duty since then, but never got as far as the selection process.

I had four days wasted in just a jury selection. They had four guys on trial from the same murder, the two older pleaded out after the second day leaving the two 20 year olds to take their chances.

I was selected randomly and went through the process of being vetted. The prosecuting attorney asked if I understood the difference between television shows like CSI and real forensics. I replied I had work on the first couple seasons of Law and Order, that it was story driven and not necessarily fact based and added we never did a show that focused on four days of jury selection.

They kept me there through the lunch break until about 3pm the one of the defense attorneys released me. Next time I will just state I'm not eligible because of working in TV and save everyone a lot of time.

I think perhaps professional juries for certain specific situations, but I understand the fear of corruption.  It's just frustrating to see juries giving ridiculous rewards to stupid people with frivolous lawsuits.  

About a year ago I got a summons for jury duty, first one since retiring from the Navy.  Multiple (idiotic, apparently) friends said they just toss them and never have a problem.  I did that and about three months later I got a stern notice.  Got another summons, spent the entire day waiting and then we were all dismissed.  Since my work pays me for jury duty I wouldn't mind doing it.

Edited by Glen

I think perhaps professional juries for certain specific situations, but I understand the fear of corruption.  It's just frustrating to see juries giving ridiculous rewards to stupid people with frivolous lawsuits.  

About a year ago I got a summons for jury duty, first one since retiring from the Navy.  Multiple (idiotic, apparently) friends said they just toss them and never have a problem.  I did that and about three months later I got a stern notice.  Got another summons, spent the entire day waiting and then we were all dismissed.  Since my work pays me for jury duty I wouldn't mind doing it.

Agree.  We had our head mechanic on a 3 week jury trial for a Worker's Comp case.  How is that not a bench trial??  Same thing with patent infringement lawsuits, and other lawsuits where the jury is way over their skis in terms of knowing what the F is going on