• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mariners sign Chris Iannetta

Mark68

You're taking about the skill he was fifth best in all of baseball at, right?

http://www.statcorner.com/CatcherReport.php

I'm by no means old school in refusing and accepting new data and metrics, but I don't buy this. CI does not pass the eye test. Anyone who claims CI is a top 5 catcher in any defensive metric I question how many games they actually watched. 

I really don't dislike the guy. It was nice to have 10 or so homeruns and a high OBP from a catcher.

I just would always prefer a fantastic defensive catcher regardless of batting ability. I loved Jose Molina in his prime. 

I'm by no means old school in refusing and accepting new data and metrics, but I don't buy this. CI does not pass the eye test. Anyone who claims CI is a top 5 catcher in any defensive metric I question how many games they actually watched. 

I really don't dislike the guy. It was nice to have 10 or so homeruns and a high OBP from a catcher.

I just would always prefer a fantastic defensive catcher regardless of batting ability. I loved Jose Molina in his prime. 

MATHIS!

This is classic case of seeing what you want to see. Guys didn't like that he gained offensive value from walking instead of hitting so when he wasn't valuable with the glove they overexaggerate how bad he was defensively. If he hit like Posey we would be complimenting him on his pitch frame improvement. This place, is brutal on players, like I assume most message boards are.

And based on what I saw, I expect the Angels to be stealing second when playing the Mariners this year.

cute post, u got me.  he hit a walk off homerun, wow, that's completely unusual, so unusual in fact even jeff mathis never did that.  oh wait.....

here's something truly unusual - a catcher completely missing a ball that was right in front of him?  even little leaguers dont miss those.  iannetta belongs in little league, not the bigs.  and the sad part is, this was quite the norm for iannetta.

let's ignore that the pitcher completely missed the target for a second . . .

so what you're saying is that CI routinely missed pitches like that game after game after game? wow, talk about seeing what you want to see. did you get turned down on an autograph request or something?

btw, i'm guessing you haven't watched a little league game in quite a while, either.

One of those is not like the others...   

I was thinking that yesterday, and then I looked at Salas' stats and realized he really isn't as bad as he seems to be.

Don't get me wrong, he's annoying and should never be brought into a close game with runners on base. But his peripherals are good. For example, he doesn't walk anybody. And his K/BB ratio the last two years has been outstanding. And so has his K/9. And his FIP. He also doesn't give up an insane amount of hits.

Honestly I don't know what the hell his problem is.

I was thinking that yesterday, and then I looked at Salas' stats and realized he really isn't as bad as he seems to be.

Don't get me wrong, he's annoying and should never be brought into a close game with runners on base. But his peripherals are good. For example, he doesn't walk anybody. And his K/BB ratio the last two years has been outstanding. And so has his K/9. And his FIP. He also doesn't give up an insane amount of hits.

Exactly. Salas gets more scorn on here than his performance warrants. Good K/BB and his FIP outperforms his ERA. He gave up too many HR's in high leverage situations. He's a respectable middle inning option if you avoid using him with inherited runners.

BABIP against was .317 in 2015 (career .287).

Did you not watch the video you posted? He was set up for an outside pitch and Smith missed the mark with a ball that had a ton of run.

Btw, Iannetta has 51 career pass balls in 10 years. Yadier Molina has 64 in 12 years. Clearly Yadier shouldn't even be playing baseball.

He watched it -- he just doesn't understand what he's looking at -- probably because he's never seen a pitch coming AT him like that.   Catcher sets up dead center -- at 0.02 Smith is letting the ball go, at 0.03 it's hit the ump's knee a good 18 inches off the plate.

Baseball is really easy when looking at the pitcher's view while sitting in your armchair.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I like to refer to it as my irrational hate of Salas for a reason.  I do however think he's a mental midget -- but even that isn't really justified as I don't even think he's led the Angels in the number of inherited runners allowed to score the last two years.  A middle reliever that needs watching with runners on base leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by Inside Pitch