• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mariners sign Chris Iannetta

Mark68

People can knock his defense, and thats fair. He worked on it, got better at framing. Was still never a plus defensive catcher, but probably average.

As far as his bat, he was a lot better than some remember. The hate seemed to have atarted last year, when he sucked with the bat. Prior to that he was very, very solid. Not a star by any means, but like someone said above, he lengthened the lineup.

Guys like him, howie and aybar were huge pieces for us the last few years when the moto wasn't batting. Those guys caught a lot of crap on here. We saw last year what losing howie meant, as well as iannetta (his bat was gone). We'll see next year what losing iannetta for good (if perez doesnt get to average batwise) and aybar will mean

See, it's posts like that which tries to rehash the Dipoto discussion that have no merit whatsoever. If what you're insinuating is true, then Iannetta would have been regulated to strictly backup. Starting only once a week.

Dipoto quit July 1st. I guess it took Scioscia that whole month to re-evaluate the catcher position.

Also Perez is a Dipoto acquisition.

How many catchers start 6 times per week? Perez was starting 4 times a week, which is pretty significant for a catcher - that is clearly the starting role. 

And I'm not saying I'm right about this, maybe there is nothing to it, I just think it is possible that Dipoto was dictating Iannetta's playing time to some extent. After all one of the first things Jerry did when he signed on was trade Jeff Mathis just to prevent Mike from playing him over Iannetta. Mike Scioscia is one of the main reasons he quit, and Chris Iannetta is one of the first guys Jerry has brought in for Seattle.

Iannetta is so great he would be slotted at third string on at least a half dozen MLB teams today.

At least?

Come on now, don't let your hatred for Iannetta's one bad year cloud your judgement.

Look, I'm not defending the guy (ok, maybe I am), but I really think that most of this vitriol directed his way is unhealthy and irrational. The guy is what he is--a league-average starting catcher. There are half the teams in the majors that would love to have Iannetta, especially based on his performance in 2013-2014.

I don't hate Iannetta. I just think that he was that post Mathis guy that really didn't bring much. He certainly wasn't a game changer.

Game changer is a vague term. Iannetta brought an element to the Angels that they lacked most years: a high OBP bat. The guy wasn't overpaid and he brought value in an underrated way. 

surprised to read that his 'framing' stats say he improved behind the plate last year.........the games I watched, he seemed to regress -- passed balls, runners stealing second on him.......towards the end of the season the Angels pretty much stopped playing him altogether.

Perez looked good behind the plate -- he can catch 115 to 120 games this year and Soto can catch up to 50.

Does no one else remember pitches being in the "K Zone" that CI made look like they were in the dirt? 

sure, but that also wasn't representative of his improvement to one of the better framers in the league last year.

to be clear, i'm much happier with perez and soto. i would also like to point out that i said perez would eventually be the starting catcher, on the day we acquired him. pat, pat.

Edited by ukyah

...or not, some of you seriously forget how solid he truly was...

See how easy and stupid that was.

cute post, u got me.  he hit a walk off homerun, wow, that's completely unusual, so unusual in fact even jeff mathis never did that.  oh wait.....

here's something truly unusual - a catcher completely missing a ball that was right in front of him?  even little leaguers dont miss those.  iannetta belongs in little league, not the bigs.  and the sad part is, this was quite the norm for iannetta.

How many catchers start 6 times per week? Perez was starting 4 times a week, which is pretty significant for a catcher - that is clearly the starting role. 

And I'm not saying I'm right about this, maybe there is nothing to it, I just think it is possible that Dipoto was dictating Iannetta's playing time to some extent. After all one of the first things Jerry did when he signed on was trade Jeff Mathis just to prevent Mike from playing him over Iannetta. Mike Scioscia is one of the main reasons he quit, and Chris Iannetta is one of the first guys Jerry has brought in for Seattle.

Ok, I'm not naive enough to think Dipoto didn't have some say in Iannetta's playing time, but imo not likely. If it were true the catching roles would've reverse the day after Dipoto left. Not a whole month later. More likely Scioscia saw Iannetta as not being able to break out of his season long slump and Perez as the future who also happened to be playing better.

As far as Iannetta being one of his first moves in Seattle, when has Dipoto NOT done that? He's always dipping into past organizations because those are the players he knows best. That was probably the biggest thing that irked me about Dipoto.  

cute post, u got me.  he hit a walk off homerun, wow, that's completely unusual, so unusual in fact even jeff mathis never did that.  oh wait.....

here's something truly unusual - a catcher completely missing a ball that was right in front of him?  even little leaguers dont miss those.  iannetta belongs in little league, not the bigs.  and the sad part is, this was quite the norm for iannetta.

Did you not watch the video you posted? He was set up for an outside pitch and Smith missed the mark with a ball that had a ton of run.

Btw, Iannetta has 51 career pass balls in 10 years. Yadier Molina has 64 in 12 years. Clearly Yadier shouldn't even be playing baseball.

This is classic case of seeing what you want to see. Guys didn't like that he gained offensive value from walking instead of hitting so when he wasn't valuable with the glove they overexaggerate how bad he was defensively. If he hit like Posey we would be complimenting him on his pitch frame improvement. This place, is brutal on players, like I assume most message boards are.