• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How do you evaluate a player?

Tank

Got to thinking about this after looking at the Starlin Castro thread and was wondering what stats should/would a modern day GM look at in evaluating a player and whether or not to pursue them. Long gone are the days of avg/hr/rbi (unless you're a HOF voter it seems). There are arguments about the value of counting stats vs. complicated formulas, and SABR guys vs. old school. So I'll ask the question here . . .

If you were a GM of a real team, what stats would you look at to evaluate a player in determining whether or not to trade for/sign/keep/dump them. Please explain why you'd pick whatever stats you would use, if you don't mind.

Good question.....seriously.

Good question.....seriously.

thanks, eli.

i think most of us keep it rather simple, and i'll honestly admit that i don't go into very much detail, usually just looking at things like avg/obp/slg/ops. i think counting stats have some value because as i watch a game, i can see a double or a homer or a ground out, but i can't see a WAR or a BABIP, etc. i also understand that baseball is a game of layers, and that the SABR stats help reveal greater information in each layer. 

when i first met Inside Pitch, he used to use things like obp and slg, and i had no idea what he was talking about. he taught me a lot about looking deeper than avg/hr/rbi, and i've been very grateful for that. it's helped me understand the game within the game better.

i've seen some stats in this thread that i've never heard of before, and i wouldn't begin to know how to use them or what a good number is in that category. i'm content to let those who like that kind of info share what it means.

i was originally curious because of the comments in the starlin castro thread as different posters were citing different info in looking at his performance, and i got to wondering what a GM must look at in the whole process. i appreciate that it must not be very easy to make a decision about a lot of players, and i appreciate how a guy like boras can really overwhelm an ill-prepared GM who hasn't done his homework. 

thanks for your input, everyone.