• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Lots of activity coming?

Docwaukee

With the deadline for rule 5 protection today, a bunch of players were designated.  Some potentially useful to take a flyer on considering the lack of farm options we have.  

Any thoughts on some under the radar guys you'd like to see brought in?

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Allen Webster, Craig Gentry, Tommy Kahnle, Kirby Yates, Rex Brothers, Anthony Varvaro, AJ Griffin, Danny Hultzen and a few more.  

I think Eppler is going to be very active over the next bit to sign a bunch of under the radar guys who at least have an outside chance at having some sort of future impact.  

Kahnle in particular interests me. Has some big league experience, mid-90's from the right side. He'd fit in early or middle relief.

In the Rule V I can definitely see the Angels taking a look at snagging a reliever. A corner utility INF or 4th OF might be targets too if the right one presents itself.

I think we're currently sitting at 35 out of 40. Figure 3-4 free agents will be signed leaving 1-2 spots on the 40. Of course the Rule V's have to be on the 25-man so probably, realistically, we will pick up no more than 1 Rule V, probably a reliever.

Craig Gentry: Plus defender in all 3 OF spots, good runner, can handle lefties(100 wRC+ vs them in career). Good 4th OF option for cheap and has more certainty that Cowgill.

Daniel Nava: Career .358 OBP and 105 wRC+. Very good vs righties in his career(.281/.377/.409). 

Allen Webster: Great stuff, no results so far. I think he can find success in the pen with a low-mid 90's heater and high GB rate. 

Maybe I am not understanding how things work.  

There are certain players that need to be protected by being on the 40man.  Others that are not eligible.  Yet if a guy is removed from the 40 to make room for someone else, they have essentially been DFA'd and can be claimed like anyone else that has been designated.  In order to become part of the team that DFA'd them, they have to pass through waivers.  

My understanding is that the guys I mentioned are actually fair game to claim.  Not eligible for the rule 5.  Those who can be taken in the rule five are unprotected players still in the org.  

That would mean Hultzen can be claimed off of waivers.  

Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

BTW, I think Eppler is going to sign quite a few minor league free agents.  Especially considering the fact that we have no farm system right now.  He's gonna add a bunch of guys to the upper minors in hopes that a few will stick and provide value to the major league club.  It's how he's gonna build our pen for 2016.  

Maybe I am not understanding how things work.

There are certain players that need to be protected by being on the 40man. Others that are not eligible. Yet if a guy is removed from the 40 to make room for someone else, they have essentially been DFA'd and can be claimed like anyone else that has been designated. In order to become part of the team that DFA'd them, they have to pass through waivers.

My understanding is that the guys I mentioned are actually fair game to claim. Not eligible for the rule 5. Those who can be taken in the rule five are unprotected players still in the org.

Yes. This refers to players DFAd to clear space to put other players on the 40-man roster to protect them in the Rule 5 draft. We can place a waiver claim on any or all of them. But some of those guys, Hultzen especially, will be claimed by a team with a higher waiver priority than us.

In the case of most of these players they are out of options, so to keep them they would need to stay on the 25-man roster or go through waivers to send them down. But it's very different to the Rule 5 scenario with, say, Featherston.

Yes. This refers to players DFAd to clear space to put other players on the 40-man roster to protect them in the Rule 5 draft. We can place a waiver claim on any or all of them. But some of those guys, Hultzen especially, will be claimed by a team with a higher waiver priority than us.

In the case of most of these players they are out of options, so to keep them they would need to stay on the 25-man roster or go through waivers to send them down. But it's very different to the Rule 5 scenario with, say, Featherston.

We don't know where we are in waiver priority, if I'm not mistake.

We don't know where we are in waiver priority, if I'm not mistake.

I think after the last CBA the offseason waiver order and draft order are the same.   Reverse order of overall record.

Unless we both are clueless, I believe you have it right -- he's been DFA'd and all the waiver claim rules now apply...   The only way he gets exposed to the Rule V is if nobody claims him and he remains with the Ms.

I think after the last CBA the offseason waiver order and draft order are the same.   Reverse order of overall record.

Unless we both are clueless, I believe you have it right -- he's been DFA'd and all the waiver claim rules now apply...   The only way he gets exposed to the Rule V is if nobody claims him and he remains with the Ms.

Don't teams drop to the bottom after they put in a claim? What am I thinking of?

Big time LF and solid bullpen upgrade should be the focus now.

Nothing wrong with that but I would be just as happy getting two above average lf and 2B and forgot the big timer. Lock down bullpen us essential. It is what made the Royals last two years made the Angels in 2002 and 2004 thru 2009. The street trade made it for us in 2014. I would rather have lock down BP over a MOJO bat in lf.

If the Angels don't go with a big bat, I'd be happy if they just went well-rounded and upgraded the bench heavy, another arm for pen, someone reasonable in LF like Aoki, Parra, even Murphy, and filled out AAA with a lot of minor league FA's.

Anything to avoid relying on really thin depth throughout the year.