• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Van Slyke infers Kershaw wants Puig traded

ABC

That trade benefitted both teams.

I live in Texas so I care little about the Dodgers or the rivalry, and I don't really buy in to the whole 'cross-town trades won't happen' belief, but from my non-LA perspective the $300m underachieving Dodgers seem like they'd want to avoid having a burdgeoning star like Puig flame out and then resurrect uptown. It'd just make them look that much more incompetent and it'd be made a big deal by the media.

But our#1 prospect Victor Alcantara isn't getting the deal done ;)

Unlike other trades?

Agree with adam. I think puig is a very good player, but the hype around him is due to his debut. Sonce then, hes been solid to very good at times...but more just solid. Outside of that is mostly hype by the dodgers PR machine.

As far as him the teammate, ive hinted on here before (but will continue to not speak out of place about such things). Hes not well liked...at all. And once hanley and uribe were gone he lost his comfort zone (they were the ones that had his back)

He could still be a very good player, and has the talent to be great. But the guy has a bad attitude....bad attitude. Nice wnough guy, but his ego and lack of acknowledging his shortcomings not only hold him back, but make him unpopular in the clubhouse.

I like this article though just to troll my dodger buddies with

Puig might turn out to be a good investment, but then again all the undesirable traits could continue to flourish.  Why take that risk when great options like Heyward, Upton, Gordon, and a few others are available and are much more of a sure thing.  He may have more upside, but there is also a chance that he has far more downside risk than these types.  And if he continues to be a clubhouse negative, why infect the rest of the team with his distractions.  I concur with some of your comments that I doubt we have enough to give up to trade for him without seriously damaging what we do have.

That trade benefitted both teams.

I live in Texas so I care little about the Dodgers or the rivalry, and I don't really buy in to the whole 'cross-town trades won't happen' belief, but from my non-LA perspective the $300m underachieving Dodgers seem like they'd want to avoid having a burdgeoning star like Puig flame out and then resurrect uptown. It'd just make them look that much more incompetent and it'd be made a big deal by the media.

But our#1 prospect Victor Alcantara isn't getting the deal done ;)

Ayyyye you're a Texas Angels fan too? I couldn't care less what deals we make with the Rangers (as long as it doesn't involve Trout), I just want to beat their ass and gloat to my Rangers friends (they have it coming after 2010-2013). 

IMO Puig is a flash in the pan. From here forward he will be a slightly above average player, but I don't see him ever returning to the kind of production that he had when ESPN was polishing his plaque at Cooperstown during his first month in MLB. Pitchers have adjusted, and opposing veteran players use his volatility against him.

Puig is talented.  But it isn't on the field numbers stuff that irks the players.  It's off/on the field antics, discipline, and for his lack of baseball devotion for lack of better term.  I guarantee, this guy will have a huge season just before he hits FA'cy, then become the next Ryan Howard once he signs the big deal.  He is becoming the poster child for the term clubhouse cancer.

If Papelbolm was on the Dodgers, they'd probably be duking it out in the clubhouse every other week.  

And one of the rumors is that Greinke won't sign with the Dodgers because of Puig.  No way would I want that in the Angels clubhouse.  Even if he would help the team.  

Edited by gotbeer

Puig hasn't even reached his physical prime yet. I'd offer just about anything outside or Trout to get him. But if the Dodgers do end up trading him, it will be for likely the largest and most elite collection of prospects ever dealt.

Only if the other team is run by clowns.

Oh crap. He could be an angel

Puig is a head case but it also sounds like the Dodgers have been way too lenient with him. I imagine that will change with a change of scenery. 

The guy had a down year in 2015 but he was one of the best players in baseball from 2013-2014. The idea that he has been declining since his 1st month is taking away from how good he is. 4.1 WAR and 160 wRC+ in 2013. 5.3 WAR and 147 wRC+ in 2014.

The Dodgers should receive a very, very good return for him when he's inevitably traded.  

He's been on a steady decline since his first month in the bigs

This has been my general impression, but let's look at some actual numbers.

Puig's career numbers: .294/.371/.487

Through July 2, 2013, which was about a month into Puig's career and a game that he has 3 hits in, he hit .443/.473/.745. After that - from July 3, 2013, to the present, he has hit .280/.362/.462.

In other words, after pitchers adjusted to him, he became a .280/.362/.462 hitter, which is remarkably close to Justin Upton's career line of .271/.352/.473.

^good point AJ. I havent looked in awhile, but check his month to month stats. Lets call 15 a wash vecause he was hurt. In both 13 and 14, he had one or two monster months sprinkled into one or 2 "good" months, and then some pretty big slumps if im not mistaken. My only point being it looks like his overall numbers are boosted by what looks like uncharacteristically good insane months here and there

^good point AJ. I havent looked in awhile, but check his month to month stats. Lets call 15 a wash vecause he was hurt. In both 13 and 14, he had one or two monster months sprinkled into one or 2 "good" months, and then some pretty big slumps if im not mistaken. My only point being it looks like his overall numbers are boosted by what looks like uncharacteristically good insane months here and there

So his seasons look like Alberts