• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

What This Tells Us About Eppler's Approach

Capital_Dave

Look, it's easy to start the "Fire Eppler" threads and bad-mouth this trade, but I think the more interesting thread is teasing out what this tells us about Eppler's approach.  And I, for one, think I'm going to like it.

This is a "big boy" trade.  It's a confident trade, trading two PROSPECTS for a proven commodity.  Yes, a below-average hitter, but undeniably the best defensive player in the game.  77.5 runs saved since 2013, first in the majors by a LARGE margin.  Second place is 52.2.  He's going to be so much fun to watch.

This is a trade that a team makes when it plans to open the wallet.  Neither Newcomb nor Ellis have ever set foot in the majors.  Simmons is a major stud defensively and proven in the major leagues.  Fangraphs rated Simmons' current contract as having the 30th most trade value in the major leagues (in between Abreu and Seager... pretty heady company).  Fangraphs' article quotes several front office executives comparing Simmons' early years to Ozzie Smith.  If he develops in that model, this trade is very likely to be a huge win for the Angels.

I think Eppler is bringing some Yankee swagger to Anaheim.  If this reflects a new direction for the club, I think we should prepare to see some major new free agent signings in the offing.  If the club keeps moving in this same direction, the product on the field in 2016 is likely to be far more competitive but at a much higher cost.  It isn't the "Angels Way" many of us grew up with, but maybe we are the ones that need to adapt.  Maybe the Angels are finally about to realize their potential as a big market team.

you know when the yankees were winning all those world series? yeah, that was with homegrown players. i love simmons the player, but i don't agree with the trade, and i wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that what happens later in FA can somehow impact whether or not this trade is good.

Just from this one trade, here are my thoughts.

Eppler likes D.

Eppler wants to win now.

Eppler thinks minor league players are potential pawns and is not afraid to deal them for knights and kings for the MLB club.  

Also, I think that the Angels are probably in big for Heyward.  The D in the outfield with GG Calhoun, Trout in CF, and GG Heyward might make it the best D in the Angels history.  And would follow suite with the D he just traded for in the infield.  And a great D like that could make an average starting lineup pretty spectacular.

Edited by gotbeer

We don't need no Yankee swagger. Screw the Yankees. Besides that, good post. Hopefully, the trade helps us to win some games.

+1....the swagger hasn't meant crap lately....mainly because they make dumb trades and dumb FA signings, like this one....

Eppler likes D.

Eppler wants to win now.

Eppler thinks minor league players are potential pawns and is not afraid to deal them for knights and kings for the MLB club.

Also, I think that the Angels are probably in big for Heyward. The D in the outfield with GG Calhoun, Trout in CF, and GG Heyward might make it the best D in the Angels history. And would follow suite with the D he just traded for in the infield. And a great D like that could make an average starting lineup pretty spectacular.

Tells me that Eppler has the media misdirection part DOWN. Just the other day he was saying SS wasn't an area he was thinking about.

Also, if you add Heyward, the core of the team is suddenly very young. Trout, Calhoun, and Heyward is a ridiculously talented OF, defense and offense, young, and here for at least 4 years.

Richards, Heaney, Skaggs are 3/5s of a rotation. I imagine there's some interest in adding an arm still. Maybe an ace, maybe someone middle and consistent.

SS and C are two of the toughest positions to develop, and we have young premiere talent at both now for years to come. Perez, Ward, Bandy, with Molina as coordinator.

Good pen depth on farm too.

Olney posts an article about if the Braves got enough in return and every reply so far has been a resounding no.

I'm sad Aybar is gone and Newcomb going hurts a little but we gave up a rental and two unknowns. One could be great or never fix his wildness and the other is most likely a back end of the rotation guy. So wtf is everyone freaking out about

Eppler likes D.

Eppler wants to win now.

Also, I think that the Angels are probably in big for Heyward. The D in the outfield with GG Calhoun, Trout in CF, and GG Heyward might make it the best D in the Angels history. And would follow suite with the D he just traded for in the infield. And a great D like that could make an average starting lineup pretty spectacular.

This is one of the primary tenets of what I think the Angels should do as I was beginning to outline in the Primer series.

Eppler spoke about upgrading key positions defensively and this trade definitely does that. If they don't spend big now it will make this trade look really dumb so a big free agent purchase or two has to be on the horizon.

It's all about building around the next five years of control of Mike Trout. Angels stadium and the AL West in general fits defensively inclined teams a lot better than other Divisions.

Olney posts an article about if the Braves got enough in return and every reply so far has been a resounding no.

I'm sad Aybar is gone and Newcomb going hurts a little but we gave up a rental and two unknowns. One could be great or never fix his wildness and the other is most likely a back end of the rotation guy. So wtf is everyone freaking out about

Bookmarking your post for when Newcomb wins 20 games.

But I get your point. Nobody knows exactly how he'll end up. Still too much to give up, imo.

Bookmarking your post for when Newcomb wins 20 games.

But I get your point. Nobody knows exactly how he'll end up. Still too much to give up, imo.

I hope they both go win 20 games. And while I personally think it was a lot, if it helps us win a championship, I'll ****ing take it

Anyone remember that can't miss prospect B. Wood?

Yeah, that's what I think about prospects,

We just got the best PROVEN defensive shortstop in the game, and he's young!!!

We have ground ball pitchers in Richards and Heaney, this will increase their confidence.

Im good with this trade.

Go Halos!!!

Edited by 19HALO71

Anyone remember that can't miss prospect B. Wood?

Yeah, that's what I think about prospects,

We just got the best PROVEN defensive shortstop in the game, and he's young!!!

We have ground ball pitchers in Richards and Heaney, this will increase their confidence.

Im good with this trade.

Go Halos!!!

I remember some turd named Mike Trout.

In the overall scheme of things, that's true. But for every bust there's a Trumbo or a Napoli (lol) or a Kole Calhoun.

All were dudes who were never touted as highly as Newcomb. Or Wood, McPherson, Kotchman, and Mathis.

That means the it's just as likely the next Trumbo/Calhoun/Napoli out-of-nowhere player wasn't traded today.