• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Official 2015-2016 Hot Stove Thread

SoWhat

You can trade him but you'd have to eat a lot of his salary....if he looks good in the spring, he'll have more value....

This makes the most sense regarding CJ Wilson. He's tough to trade now before teams see how he's rebounding from surgery.

If he pitches well during the first half and the team plays well, it would be a mistake then to trade him at the July deadline. The real trade window for Wilson is Spring Training.

If Wilson doesn't pitch well, it's all moot.

You can trade him but you'd have to eat a lot of his salary....if he looks good in the spring, he'll have more value....

This makes the most sense regarding CJ Wilson. He's tough to trade now before teams see how he's rebounding from surgery.

If he pitches well during the first half and the team plays well, it would be a mistake then to trade him at the July deadline. The real trade window for Wilson is Spring Training.

If Wilson doesn't pitch well, it's all moot.

i agree with all of this if the narrative is that teams need to see him come back healthy before they'd move on him. historically on AW, the narrative is that he sucks and the angels would have to eat half his salary or more just to move him because he's a bad contract. 

if he's healthy and the angels find themselves needing to trade him because they fell out of the race, he'd be owed approximately 10 million dollars with no future years involved, that's considered a positive in trade talks. 

@FeinsandNYDN Hearing Angels may make a run at Cespedes. He's Roc Nation's second major MLB FA (Cano) but agent Kyle Thousand should have several suitors

Verified Yankees beat writer posted this 3 hours ago. Both Cespedes and Murphy produced with men in scoring and high leverage situations. I'd say we have a need for that big time considering Pujols tucks his sack into his gut in any high leverage (.228) or men in scoring (.237) situation.

Cespedes - men in scoring: .312 avg

- high leverage: .305 avg

Murphy - men in scoring: .309 avg

- high leverage: .383 avg

@FeinsandNYDN Hearing Angels may make a run at Cespedes. He's Roc Nation's second major MLB FA (Cano) but agent Kyle Thousand should have several suitors

Verified Yankees beat writer posted this 3 hours ago. Both Cespedes and Murphy produced with men in scoring and high leverage situations. I'd say we have a need for that big time considering Pujols tucks his sack into his gut in any high leverage (.228) or men in scoring (.237) situation.

Cespedes - men in scoring: .312 avg

- high leverage: .305 avg

Murphy - men in scoring: .309 avg

- high leverage: .383 avg

I'm sorry but Cespedes would be the worst option among the big 4 IMO. Would be bummed if the Angels chose to sign him. Cespedes swings at everything and rarely walks at all and this team already is loaded with very poor OBP% guys.

I'm sorry but Cespedes would be the worst option among the big 4 IMO. Would be bummed if the Angels chose to sign him. Cespedes swings at everything and rarely walks at all and this team already is loaded with very poor OBP% guys.

I like Heyward too, I just think if Arte were to shell out the kind of deal Heyward is expected to get that might be it for the offseason and we need more than just a outfielder. I really don't know what to expect contract wise for YC but if he allows us to sign another guy than I'm more open to it

Maybe this has been discussed before, but what do you guys think if we traded Giovotella ($2.1M) and Shoemaker ($1.1M) for Neil Walker?  Walker is arb elibigle, and made $8M last year.  Pittsburgh would save some bucks.  We would get an okay hitting second baseman who only makes an error about once every hundred chances, and who has good range.  Walker and Simmons might make a really good duo.

Then I would do Heyward, Gordon or Upton, or maybe even Parra or Span in LF, add a good lefty and righty reliever, fill in the bench with some speed, and call it an off season.

Edited by tomsred

If they acquired a lead-off hitter, Cespedes dropped into the middle of the order wouldn't be terrible. But he is not my first choice.

Really, any of the big 4 have such a big question mark attached I don't think it's going to make much difference. Heyward may remain the exact same player, Gordon could age, Upton could perpetually disappoint, and Cespedes could revert to his Oak stats. I think each of these nightmare scenarios are as likely as the other.

Bright sides? If Heyward remains the exact same player, he's still a great complimentary piece, albeit overpaid. If Upton remains Upton, well, it wouldn't be the biggest burn, but he'd still be a decent player. Best thing about Gordon or Cespedes' nightmare scenarios is they would be shorter commitments and money.

Free-agent relief pitcher Darren O'Day has agreed to a four-year, $31 million deal to return to the Baltimore Orioles, sources confirmed to ESPN on Sunday.

The deal is pending a physical.

Since coming to Baltimore, the 6-foot-4, 220-pound righty -- who's known for his submarine delivery -- has become one of the game's premier setup men. O'Day has appeared in at least 68 games in each of his four seasons with the Orioles, including 2015, when he went 6-2 with six saves, posted a 1.52 ERA and was voted to the All-Star Game for the first time in his career.