• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Qualifying Offers

ettin

I think Wieters gets a 4 yr deal.  There are a ton of teams that could use an excellent defensive C that hits 20 bombs and gets on base at a decent clip.  I'm glad they made him a qual actually, because I don't really want him.  But he's got the potential to be a 3-4 WAR catcher when he healthy.  Someone will take a flyer on him.  

I think Rasmus, and Iwakuma will accept the qual.  

I think Wieters gets a 4 yr deal. There are a ton of teams that could use an excellent defensive C that hits 20 bombs and gets on base at a decent clip. I'm glad they made him a qual actually, because I don't really want him. But he's got the potential to be a 3-4 WAR catcher when he healthy. Someone will take a flyer on him.

I think Rasmus, and Iwakuma will accept the qual.

if your going to sign a free agent and giving up a draft pick ... then you might as well sign two free agents. I would give Weiters a hard look.

Btw the FO will sign a catcher this off season ... book it.

Maybe someone here can clarify this.  So, do all these players get a 15.8 million dollar offer ?  How is that determined ?  Also, is it a first round pick no matter what that a team is compensated with if the player declines the QO ?

If you give a Qualifying Offer to a Free Agent, it's like offering him a one year $15.8 million offer.  The player can accept or reject.  As of this year, no player has ever accepted the one year offer.  If a player rejects, then he is free to negotiate like any other free agent with other teams.  The big catch with these players is, if a team signs them, they forfeit their lowest unprotected pick.  I believe the protected picks are 1-10.  Might be 1-15.  The team that offered the QO (Former team) will get a sandwich pick between the first and second round. 

So in the Angels case, we did not offer a QO to Freese.  So if he signs with another team, we do not get the sandwich pick.  But if we sign a player that received a qualifying offer, even if it's for say 3 years/$30 million, we would lose our lowest round pick.  And if we sign multiple, we would lose our next pick.  I think there is a limit we can lose, and anything over would carry over to next season.  So if we go crazy and sign like 5, we would lose so many this year, and so many next year.  

Funny enough, we all hate mathis (including me), but hes hung around mlb for far longer than any of us would have guessed...theres obviously something there

Thats not me saying i like him, but i think theres something to be said about that

I'm still trying to figure out how a guy with a career average under .200 has had an 11-year major league career.

I'm with you.  Not a Heyward fan at all.  

I do find it funny that when Heyward has a bump in a contract year, it's he's that good.  But for Cespedes, he was playing for the money.  Heyward in the AL will become a boat anchor of a contract.

I'm with both of you on Heyward. I don't get all the love for him, and I wouldn't come anywhere close to a 10/200 offer.

If the halos sign him, I hope we're wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Funny enough, we all hate mathis (including me), but hes hung around mlb for far longer than any of us would have guessed...theres obviously something there

Thats not me saying i like him, but i think theres something to be said about that

The one thing that always impressed me about Mathis was his mental and physical toughness.  Yeah, he's devoid of talent on the offensive end, but the guy is a grinder.  I wish I could find the story where early on he took a fastball to the face full on during the time he was coming up, it broke a bunch of bones and was very serious.  He just got back on the horse and made a career for himself.  He knows how to handle pitchers, the biggest problem is the level of talent there is so low that it becomes hard to justify keeping him around.