• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Johnny Cueto

Homebrewer

We should run a poll about whether the Angels can navigate this post season without losing a draft pick.

It's entirely possible. LF, 2B, SP, DH, etc... are all available without losing a draft pick. But I guess that all depends on whether Eppler cares about draft picks. 

There are quite a few good free agent pitchers this year, which increases the chances that one of them misses out on a mega-contract and can be had for a more reasonable contract after the winter meetings. Not sure if that will be Cueto, but given the depth the Angels have it might be worth waiting until the spending sprees are over.

If Cueto ends up costing A LOT less than the other top dogs, why wouldn't you at least consider it? No draft pick compensation, big spacious ballpark, team needs an ace, Cueto could be that. I'm not wild about the idea, but if Arte decided to add one of the top left fielders, solidified third (Prado), revamped the pen, AND wanted to sign Cueto, I'd be ecstatic (and I think a lot of people on here would be too). 

anybody thinking cueto is somehow going to get less than the other #1's hasn't been paying attention. if you don't think he's worth the money, that's fine, but he's getting paid. also, i think SP is one of our biggest needs, and i said so last year when the SP staff was cruising for a good long while. we got by for a good chunk on luck and variance, but it didn't hold out. a legit ace is something this team desperately needs, but they also need a moto bat to move pujols down a spot. good luck with that.

I heard that Lackey only wants to go to the Team Jason Hayward is on.

Fair enough, I only want to watch the team Mike Trout is on.

Apparently the joke wasn't clear enough? :)

A group of horses = team and it's Jason Heyward not Jason Hayward. Was trying to up my Lackey/horse joke game but alas....

I'm fine with picking up a SP, but I'd also be interested in what the plan is a far as the excess of pitching we have.

Let's say we sign Cueto, there's still Richards, Heaney, Tropeano, Santiago, Shoemaker, Skaggs, Wilson and Weaver, with Newcomb, Ellis and Smith knocking on that door in less than a year.

If we assume they'd keep Richards and Heaney, that leaves two more spots open. Tropeano's earned one of them, and then we still have Weav and Wilson set to make upwards of 20 million each, making them practically untradable. So I suppose that means they could demote Skaggs and Tropeano, trade Santiago and Shoe, and roll out Weav and Wilson as 4-5.

But that only puts the problem off for one more year when the Angels would have the 4-5 spots open, one would go to Newcomb, and the other would be a dogfight between Tropeano, Skaggs, Ellis and Smith, which is fine, but it still makes it likely we'd need to trade a couple more away.

A group of horses = team and it's Jason Heyward not Jason Hayward. Was trying to up my Lackey/horse joke game but alas....

FWIW, I thought your joke was great and didn't get the due it deserves. Well done.

Stick to rocket science and leave the jokes to the C students.

Adam, that's your cue.