• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: David Murphy is first up for Angels offseason roster decisions

I'd pass on Murphy --

I mean we can pick up another OF'er at that price.........

my concern here is if Murphy is our first move and significant move for the off-season -- then the Halos are just tinkering around the edges coming off a season where even though some may think 'geez, great comeback game against Texas there and we almost made the wild card /playoffs......" when in reality, we were far off the mark for most of the second half of the season.

Halos need some rotation help, a solid middle inning set up guy who may cost more than we want to spend at the position and we could really use a speedy MIF defensive guy who could PR and play D in the late innings -- c'mon -- the Royals have made the use of PR and speed plus defense the past two years and it's worked fairly well for them.

I'd pass on Murphy --

I mean we can pick up another OF'er at that price.........

my concern here is if Murphy is our first move and significant move for the off-season -- then the Halos are just tinkering around the edges coming off a season where even though some may think 'geez, great comeback game against Texas there and we almost made the wild card /playoffs......" when in reality, we were far off the mark for most of the second half of the season.

Halos need some rotation help, a solid middle inning set up guy who may cost more than we want to spend at the position and we could really use a speedy MIF defensive guy who could PR and play D in the late innings -- c'mon -- the Royals have made the use of PR and speed plus defense the past two years and it's worked fairly well for them.

The reason it's the first move is because that's when his option is due.

How many here see Robertson as a solid 4th OF option?

Or is Cowgill's defense in multiple spots a better alternative?

When Cowgill has been healthy he has been very good. In the beginning of 2014 he pretty much carried the team the first month of the season. And he can play all 3 of positions. Problem is the last season he was hit by a pitch that broke a bone and caused him to miss a lot of time.

I like that Murphy's option was declined. Not because I didn't like him, I actually did, but because it looks like Eppler is going to be aggressive. Now we are in a position where we HAVE to pick up a LF from FA, unless it via trade which is unlikely. Excited to see which route he takes, but I think we will definitely see a mid to top tier acquisition. Anyone from Parra or Span to Heyward. I don't see an acquisition for a league average left fielder. Certainly nothing lower than Parra. 

When Cowgill has been healthy he has been very good. In the beginning of 2014 he pretty much carried the team the first month of the season. And he can play all 3 of positions. Problem is the last season he was hit by a pitch that broke a bone and caused him to miss a lot of time.

I would say 'very good' is a bit of a stretch.  He had a good 1/2 season in 2014 but frankly, I think he was out over his skis.  He's really quite a terrible hitter.  

He's got a bees dick worth of value in a platoon vs. lefties I guess.  

He's also arb eligible this year and will likely cost over a mil.  

He's an ok 4th/5th OFer because of his defense, but I am not sure he's worth what he'll get in arb.  

The decision to decline Murphy's option is an interesting one.  Obviously they think they can do better and clearly he open market value wasn't worth the 7mil he was set to get paid or they would have exercised it.  

With Eppler's connection to NY, I wonder if Gardner is being discussed.   

I would say 'very good' is a bit of a stretch.  He had a good 1/2 season in 2014 but frankly, I think he was out over his skis.  He's really quite a terrible hitter.  

He's an ok 4th/5th OFer because of his defense, but I am not sure he's worth what he'll get in arb.  

The decision to decline Murphy's option is an interesting one.  Obviously they think they can do better and clearly he open market value wasn't worth the 7mil he was set to get paid or they would have exercised it.  

I hadn't thought about that. Don't know if he's the right acquisition but it could make sense for Gardner to be discussed due to Eppler's ties.

I would teleport into the 8th level of the boner zone if Eppler got Gardner without giving up Newcomb.