• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Orange County Register: David Murphy is first up for Angels offseason roster decisions

i have no problem with murphy in left field. they can have a modest platoon to spell him if that's how he's best used. most pitchers are right handed so he gets the lion's share of the platoon.

use money elsewhere.

also, trade wilson and pujols. simple.

Edited by ukyah

Think they should pick it up and use him as a insurance in the event we fail hard this offseason. He'd be a great 4th OF or could be dealt, though we'd maybe be on the hook for some money or lose some prospect leverage in that event.

That said, I'm a proponent of the Angels going hogwild and spending heavy this offseason and blowing over the luxury tax for a year or two, so of course I'd support a $7m 4th OFer.

$7 million wouldn't be bad if he was the backup OF.  He probably most definitely won't come close to his Texas years.  But hopefully he hits in the low to mid 700 OPS area.  And having a quality backup OF on days when the starting OF'ers are DH or fighting a nagging injury would be good.  

This is a much harder decision than it looks. Do you sign him just in case and then use him in a platoon? Do you try to get him to agree to something like 2 years and $11 Million contract, or something along those lines. He doesn't really fit the role of a 4th outfielder because he doesn't play center field. They could always pick up his option then if they are able to sign one of the big time LFers then trade Cron and DH Murphy. The fact that they have to decide on this now, before they know whether or not they can lock down a LFer makes this a very difficult decision.

This is a much harder decision than it looks. Do you sign him just in case and then use him in a platoon? Do you try to get him to agree to something like 2 years and $11 Million contract, or something along those lines. He doesn't really fit the role of a 4th outfielder because he doesn't play center field. They could always pick up his option then if they are able to sign one of the big time LFers then trade Cron and DH Murphy. The fact that they have to decide on this now, before they know whether or not they can lock down a LFer makes this a very difficult decision.

Very true and it wouldn't be totally surprising to see the Angels exercise the option and then trade him to a team that needs a full-time LF but this would have required extensive trade discussions pre-offseason and I have a suspicion the Angels without a GM in place probably didn't have a lot of trade talks up to this point making the decision an easier one for Eppler.

I'm not sold on his future value but it is simply a one season commitment. The problem is he is more of a lower tiered everyday player for a small market team instead of a true solution for a team that is wanting to do more than tread water.

It's tough to have trade talks during the season on a player you obtained on July 31st and you weren't out of the race until game 162.

That is actually the front office's job to look ahead into the offseason Strad. Just because we were in it up until the end doesn't stop a GM or AGM from picking up the phone and talking to other teams about needs/wants, etc.

Look I think it's a bit of a long shot but if you read around the Internet regarding various different trades made many of them speak to how the GM's of each team involved were in discussions over weeks and months before they consummated the deal.

Bottom line is that there is nothing stopping the Angels from asking teams around the League if they have interest in Murphy. Did they actually do it? Less likely since we didn't have a GM in place during that time although I'm sure Klentak continued to perform due diligence.

If they exercise his option, they should get him a 1B mitt and have him start learning. Yes, I fully realize he has never played that position professionally, but it's freakin' 1B and he'd be the 3rd-string option there, so it's not like he would be relied on heavily there.

It'd increase his value to the team significantly though, effectively replacing Navarro, and lessening some of our offseason needs.

Personally, I'd advocate in favor of picking it up.  

1. The Angels have NOTHING in the way of bench depth.  Nobody in the OF they can put in and with any confidence say that he'd be able to swing the bat  Chad Hinshaw eventually, but not right now.  Murphy gives the Angels that much needed insurance. 

2. He's certainly a tradable asset.  Maybe the Angels bring in a MOTO LF, and they feel fine with Cowgill in LF, they could still trade Murphy and get a prospect or reliever or decent value in return. 

Having said that I feel like the Angels won't pick it up.  Like 70/30. 

I'd like a speedy 4th outfielder for defense (like a Bourjos) or base running (like a Dyson).  If you don't add a solid bench bat IF/C/DH, maybe you bring Murphy back as 5th OF, a solid bat off the bench.  Maybe like 2 years 10 mil for Murphy as OF/DH bat on the bench.

If they exercise his option, they should get him a 1B mitt and have him start learning. Yes, I fully realize he has never played that position professionally, but it's freakin' 1B and he'd be the 3rd-string option there, so it's not like he would be relied on heavily there.

It'd increase his value to the team significantly though, effectively replacing Navarro, and lessening some of our offseason needs.

I would rather have a good 1b like Navarro, that can also play lf in a pinch. He would be a whole lot less money, that can be used to fill a hole. I just don't see keeping Murphy and Cron to DH. It hurts our bench's versatility and defense. When you have a roster with only 4 bench players they should be able to play some good "D". 

I'd say no. $7M isn't a lot but it is something. Murphy is a essentially league average hitter with poor defense, little power and no speed - lacking some key skills to make a good 4th outfielder. He's actually better as a second rate starter than a useful bench player.

I'd rather see the Angels go after Heyward or, barring that, Denard Span or Alex Gordon.

Someone said "spend the money elsewhere" but the thing is, LF was our biggest hole last year. I'd rather give Kubitza/Cowart and Perez/Bandy a shot and invest in the OF, 2B, and a SP and a couple RPs.