• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Bernie Sanders Says He Has "Serious Problems" With Uber Because It's "Unregulated"

NrM

I think he is right, depending on what is considered regulation. And I don't know what regulations that Uber and like companies are required currently, but I believe that companies like those companies should be held to the same regulations as Taxi and Limo companies.

or maybe a business should be free to run it how they want and the government should **** off

I think he is right, depending on what is considered regulation.  And I don't know what regulations that Uber and like companies are required currently, but I believe that companies like those companies should be held to the same regulations as Taxi and Limo companies.

So you don't believe people can be independent contractors if they choose to do so?

Good grief.

Ugghhh... there is no real direct quote from Bernie on this issue.  Just cherry picked words.  From the Bloomberg article.

Asked about his proposal to phase out the “tip credit,” which lets employers pay tipped workers less than the standard minimum wage, Sanders said it would fix a “horrendous situation:”

“If you’re working at a diner on a weekday, and it’s raining, and people are not coming in, you’re not getting any tips,” he said. Sanders also said he has “serious problems” with the popular car-hailing company Uber. He called it “unregulated."  

So you don't believe people can be independent contractors if they choose to do so?

Good grief.

Uber, Lyft and similar services are different than most independent businesses. When you're hauling passengers, there is a certain amount of personal risk involved. If the car is not well maintained, if the driver is reckless, a lot of things play into it. Plus, has the driver told his insurance company that he is hauling passengers for hire? Is he/she carrying enough insurance to cover any potential liability?

the benevolent government will do what is best for us.

If you use Uber or if you choose to drive for them you do it on you choose to do so.

I should be able to negotiate my own contract. I should be able to work for whom I wish for what I wish.

A friend of mine once got an Uber driver that appeared normal at first, then the driver literally tried to run them over after they wanted out of the car once they saw he drove like a maniac on the freeway.

Uber, Lyft and similar services are different than most independent businesses. When you're hauling passengers, there is a certain amount of personal risk involved. If the car is not well maintained, if the driver is reckless, a lot of things play into it. Plus, has the driver told his insurance company that he is hauling passengers for hire? Is he/she carrying enough insurance to cover any potential liability?

Is there not already laws in place that the driver is required to abide to?

Edited by Poozy

Is there not already laws in place that the driver is required to abide to?

Other than standard driving laws, none that I know of. In order to qualify for a taxi license, the driver must pass a background check plus a search of his driving and auto insurance records. I don't know about other states, but taxis are heavily regulated in Nevada. We have a Taxicab Authority. Their field officers are commissioned peace officers who wear law enforcement uniforms and carry sidearms. They respond to any issue involving a taxi, whether it is the driver or another party who is at fault.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Exactly.  Which is why all taxi and limo drivers are licensed.  Which is why, especially on Limo's, you see those TCP numbers in California.  Those are regulations.  

Exactly.  Which is why all taxi and limo drivers are licensed.  Which is why, especially on Limo's, you see those TCP numbers in California.  Those are regulations.  

Uber being unregulated is it's main appeal.

Edited by Poozy

That could potentially happen with a traditional taxi company as well

With a taxi company, you can report the driver to the taxi company or the government agency, think it's DOT in California.  And since it has to be in a visible and unobstructed view, anyone can see it.  With rideshares, you have to rely on whatever system that company has in place.  Some could be good.  Some could be bad.    

With a taxi company, you can report the driver to the taxi company or the government agency, think it's DOT in California.  And since it has to be in a visible and unobstructed view, anyone can see it.  With rideshares, you have to rely on whatever system that company has in place.  Some could be good.  Some could be bad.    

You're welcome to continue taking taxis then.

For the majority of people who understand the risks and simply don't care, they can stick with uber.

Most people have far better satisfaction taking an Uber.

Edited by Poozy

Uber being unregulated, is it's main appeal.

Funny.  I thought their main appeal was convenience and a relatively cheap fare. 

Again, I am all for independent contractors and them doing their thing.  But they still should follow some rules and regulations.  Just because I'm an independent contractor, shouldn't mean, I can build the addition to your house.  Or make some alcohol to sell.  Or drive a truck.  Or sell you stocks.  Or sell you insurance.  Or call you in the middle of the night trying to sell you something.  

Funny.  I thought their main appeal was convenience and a relatively cheap fare. 

Again, I am all for independent contractors and them doing their thing.  But they still should follow some rules and regulations.  Just because I'm an independent contractor, shouldn't mean, I can build the addition to your house.  Or make some alcohol to sell.  Or drive a truck.  Or sell you stocks.  Or sell you insurance.  Or call you in the middle of the night trying to sell you something.  

how do you think they are capable of being so convenient and cheap compared to their competition.....

Edited by Poozy

I think Uber has minimum insurance requirements and verifies its drivers' criminal and driving histories before approving them to drive.

The implications of this go way beyond Uber. You know all those semi-trucks driving around southern California, hauling containers? Many of them are independent contractors. As are many of the people who deliver for FedEx, Amazon, and others.

And it wouldn't be a political thread without me pointing out that the reason these business models are under attack is the left. They want everyone to be classified as an employee and paid on an hourly basis with no ability to use their ambition and work ethic to get ahead. Look no further than Obama's National Labor Relations Board if you don't believe me.

And why do you think that is?

It's not because of regulation.  It's because of their business model.  Their business model will do just fine with some regulation.  Unless you think making their drivers have class D licenses, insurance, background checks including drug tests, proper maintenance of their vehicles will just make things so unaffordable?  These are basic things that affect the driver, and whether they think the cost benefit is worth it.  Won't affect fares at all.