• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Dodgers to interview Darin Erstad for manager

I will never understand the hate on this forum.

Erstad laid it all out his entire career.  I love watching guys like that and don't know how you could hate him.

Nothing to do with how good or bad he was, just his effort.

I will never understand how AW thinks all criticism = "hate".

Erstad had two good years, '98 & '99, that were cut short due to hamstring injuries and the race against Texas one of those years. Then, he had a legendary 2000 that he was never to come to repeating starting with a very average 2001. In 2002, he was pretty pedestrian with the stick but was amazing in CF, one of the best years at the position defensively. He had another couple of of forgettable years in 2003 and 2004 and gave them one last good years in 2005 when they beat the Yanks in ALDS. After that, he spent some time the White Sox and Astros before retiring.

I respected his effort, his competitiveness, and his contributions to 2002 WS team. Overall, though, he had the kind career that can only be appreciated by those who saw him play every game because the stats border on decent. For me, I guess the reason I'm not losing my shit over the thought of Erstad in a Dodgers uniform is I really don't know if he helps them or hurts them or somewhere in between.

Edited by mulwin444

i don't see ersty being a good manager. he was so intense that i imagine he finds it difficult to relate to players who aren't as equally intense as he was. i think that will greatly get in the way of him being able to relate well with the modern player.

see johnson, magic, lakers head coach.

I would like to see our team play with the intensity the Royals played with, and I think Ersty would bring it.

BTW, how did Ersty come to the attention of the Dodgers?

Erstad was a 1B in 2004 and 2005. This frustrated a lot of people because on paper he wasnt a good enough hitter to play first base. However he was still an above average first baseman overall, so actually a fine short term solution.

He was a below average offensively player in both 2004 and 2005... not for 1B, for the AL average -- but due to his defense and SB totals he managed to put up 3.8 WAR over that span...   So he was basically David Freese.    To that end you are correct that he was a passable short term solution.

A Kennedy career OPS+ 88

D Eckstein career OPS+ 87

B Molina career OPS+ 86

all sucked, right?

I get the point you're making but none of those guys had 3,840 at bats as a corner IF/OFer...    

The best argument that can be made for Erstad is that his impact went beyond his offensive production.  He was a legit difference maker on defense and most people that played with him have made reference to his impact in the clubhouse.  Best of all... it seems he's mellowed with age and has gone on record as saying you can't have a room full of guys going full tilt 100% without burning out.  He's less caveman than he used to be and that will serve him well as a coach/manager.

I'd hate to see him managing the Dodgers but, grats to him if he does.

>>>Jim Bowden ESPN Insider 

bowden_jim_m.jpg

Dodgers are going to interview Kirk Gibson for the Manager opening according to club sources. Gibson was NL MGR of year in 2011 leading DBacks to 94 wins. His walk off home run in game 1 of '88 WS helped Dodgers win their last WS. He could not be reached for comment.

>>>>

Seems like the Dodgers aren't looking at a guy who is new school at all -- they seemingly believe they need red ass to run the clubhouse.  If Larry Bowa wasn't staring down 70, he might be in the running for the job.

• 2 weeks later...

According to Bowden, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman will give the final recommendation to ownership on whom to hire for this position.

That is quote from the above article. Remember all the whining about how Dipoto didn't get to pick his own manager, that it should have been his decision?

Evidently the Dodgers don't believe it is the GM's place to make that call either.

Clubhouse presence as a player and clubhouse presence as a manager are totally different things due to the dichotomy of roles. Managers don't lead by example, and a fiery personality can be demotivating to professional athletes (see Valentine, Bobby). I find it amusing that some people actually believe that Erstad would get more production out of players with ten-plus years of experience in the majors just because he used to crash into walls.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

According to Bowden, Dodgers president of baseball operations Andrew Friedman will give the final recommendation to ownership on whom to hire for this position.

That is quote from the above article. Remember all the whining about how Dipoto didn't get to pick his own manager, that it should have been his decision?

Evidently the Dodgers don't believe it is the GM's place to make that call either.

It's true for a lot of teams.  The manager's job has quite an impact both on the team, and on the organization, as well as team image in the community.  I wouldn't necessarily trust one person to make that decision, even a GM unless he was very senior in the organization.  If I were an owner, I would probably want every decision similar this run by a number of individuals in my organization for input.  Everybody in the senior part of the organization has to be on the same page on this type of decision.

Edited by tomsred