• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trout 6th in Sporting News Player of the Year voting

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4659598-sporting-news-mlb-awards-2015-josh-donaldson-blue-jays-bryce-harper-nationals

VOTING RESULTS

Voting by MLB players

1. Josh Donaldson, Blue Jays — 150

2. Bryce Harper, Nationals — 97

3. Jake Arrieta, Cubs — 43

4. Zack Greinke, Dodgers — 40

5. Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks — 17

6. Mike Trout, Angels — 12

7. Sonny Gray, Athletics — 4

8. Nelson Cruz, Mariners — 3

9. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers — 2
Dallas Keuchel, Astros — 2
Andrew McCutchen, Pirates — 2

Others — 15

Because he plays everyday, I'd have ranked Trout above Grienke and Arrieta.  The rest is spot on.  I think I'd rank Harper and Goldy above Donaldson though.  I just kind of feel like hitting in that lineup, playing in that park, and then playing another 40+ games in places like Fenway and Yankee Stadium, I'm just not that impressed with it. 

i mean put Trout in that ballpark (and others in the AL East), and surround him with Tulo, Bautista and Encarnacion (among others), and I feel like he probably would've hit .330 with 140 runs, 130 RBI's and 50-60 HR's.  

Donaldson hit .263 away away from home with severely deflated power numbers.  

As far as I'm concerned, he isn't the best player in baseball.  He isn't even in the top 10.  Should he be MVP this year though?  I dunno, I guess.

Let's move beyond personal opinion. Right now the single best indicator of overall contribution is WAR, and I think Fangraphs has the edge over Baseball Reference because of improvements in defensive value. So let us, for the sake of argument, just look at fWAR for hitters and the average of fWAR and RA9-WAR for pitchers (I'm not a huge fan of WAR-only for pitchers because it relies too much on FIP and diminishes the importance of simple old run prevention...both are important, so let's average them out):

Top Five Hitters by fWAR

1. Harper 9.5

2. Trout 9.0

3. Donaldson 8.7

4. Goldschmidt 7.4

5. Votto 7.4

Top Five Players by (fWAR + RA9-WAR) / 2

1. Arrieta (8.4 (7.3, 9.4)

2. Kershaw 8.3 (8.6, 7.9)

3. Greinke 8.0 (5.9, 10.0)

4. Keuchel 7.1 (6.1, 8.1)

5. Price 6.8 (6.4, 7.1)

OK, now let's rank them in overall order:

1. Harper 9.4

2. Trout 9.0

3. Donaldson 8.7

4. Arrieta 8.4

5. Kershaw 8.3

6. Greinke 8.0

7. Goldschmidt 7.4

8. Votto 7.4

9. Keuchel 7.1

10. Price 6.8

That seems like a much better ordering than Sporting News. But the problem with doing it this way is that pitchers are unfairly advantaged because player WAR is just higher. I'm not sure what the best converter would be, but what if we add 10% to each of the pitchers? We come up with the following:

1. Harper 9.4

2. Arrieta 9.2

3. Kershaw 9.1

4. Trout 9.0

5. Greinke 8.8

6. Donaldson 8.7

7. Keuchel 7.8

8. Price 7.5

9. Goldschmidt 7.4

10. Votto 7.4

OK, that looks even better. I'm OK with the idea that Harper, Arrieta, and Kershaw all have a slight edge over Trout, and that Greinke and Donaldson are close enough to be comparable. Everyone else is a solid notch below.

I might have put Trout ahead of Goldy, his OPS+ was 6 better.

But Goldy amazed a lot of people no doubt in stealing 21 bases. How many 1B of his size ever steal that many bases?

I'm to lazy to look it up but Bagwell stole a good amount of bases. He may have stole 30 one year.

Yeah, Bagwell stole 30 at least once.

(Checking...)

He had 202 career SB, with his five highest season totals being 31, 30, 21, 19, 15. He stole 10 or more ten times.

Albert Pujols actually stole 16 bases twice, 14 once (!).

Andres "The Cat" Galarraga also stole 15ish bases several times.

Edited by Angelsjunky

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb-news/4659598-sporting-news-mlb-awards-2015-josh-donaldson-blue-jays-bryce-harper-nationals VOTING RESULTS

Voting by MLB players

1. Josh Donaldson, Blue Jays — 150

2. Bryce Harper, Nationals — 97

3. Jake Arrieta, Cubs — 43

4. Zack Greinke, Dodgers — 40

5. Paul Goldschmidt, Diamondbacks — 17

6. Mike Trout, Angels — 12

7. Sonny Gray, Athletics — 4

8. Nelson Cruz, Mariners — 3

9. Clayton Kershaw, Dodgers — 2

Dallas Keuchel, Astros — 2

Andrew McCutchen, Pirates — 2

Others — 15

And none of these guys will be wearing a 2015 MLB Championship ring.