• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Grienke Officially Opts Out

nando714

why is it that despite the guy's numbers (and I still think Kershaw was clearly the better pitcher on the Dodgers and if I had to pick one -- I'd pick Kershaw -- which the Dodgers have done), I just would not throw a lot of money at this guy?

He seems fairly fragile to me and the kind of guy who would immediately land on the DL for an extended period of time after signing a huge multi-year deal.

Give me a gamer like Kershaw or Bumgarner (I know they're not available) any day over this guy.

Yankees may bust the bank paying for him - they could use rotation help -- what team doesn't need that?  Perhaps the Nationals and the great rotation they have didn't get them into the playoffs this year -- ask Matt Williams -- Nats should hire Bud Black.

Yeah, opting out shows that he really doesn't give a rat's ass who he plays for, he just wants to be paid.

He's a much better fit for the NL though.  In that last game he was really good in all aspects of the game.  Dodgers should just go ahead and pay him.

He's said as much..   I know that some hate him for being so open about it but at least he's been completely honest about it.

One thing that I don't think people are quite getting is the fact that generally speaking free agent prices rise by about 10% on a $$$ per WAR basis. Depending on who you ask last year free agent $$$ per WAR was about $6MM-7MM.

Additionally general economical inflation also impacts the free agent market. Finally baseball teams are flush with cash and there are several team that have money to spend and pitching is always in demand.

All of this adds up to $30MM being the new benchmark as Shane said above. Position players probably won't go quite as high but that is the reason I sincerely believe Jason Heyward will get $25MM per year and because of his age he'll get 10 years in all likelihood.

Grienke is over rated. He does just enough to lose. When ever you see him face another ace on other team, usually Grienke teams end up losing 4-3, 3-2, 2-1. He is a good pitcher, but doesn't rise to the occasion to elite ACE in big games.

I really agree with this. It might not be popular, but I would pass on a Greinke signing.

I really agree with this. It might not be popular, but I would pass on a Greinke signing.

i get the passing on him, but i dont think hes overrated. If hes losing its because hes played for flawed teams...KC, Mill, Us, the current dogs

Last years dogs team was more complete (but still had holes)....he did his job, kershaw didnt

If there is a bidding war for Greinke and the Dodgers and Yankees are the two main suitors, that is a battle that we shouldn't pay enough to win.

Pretty much. There was talk earlier in the thread about 5/125 and that isn't going to come close to cutting it. If we could get Zac to first I'd fly to LA and then drive him to Anaheim to sign the contract myself. 6/180 I wouldn't surprise me but I imagine he will get something like 5/150 or 6/165 and that's probably too much for us.

If only we had spent that Josh Hamilton money on Greinke and Torii instead. Then we'd have an ace and wouldn't have lied to and alienated one of the better players in this franchise's history.

So youre suggesting we could have signed Greinke and Hunter for less than Greinke signed for with the Dodgers? Oh and let's just say we did what it would take to sign Greinke three years ago, guess what? We would still be looking for an ace because Greinke would have opted out.