• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Pile on Howie Night

ABC

Howie showed up to work. He was never a problem off the field. Great guy in the locker room, never bitched or complained about his role on the team. He went out and tried his best. He ended up getting traded for Heaney, This isn't Hamilton who snorted up coke and ended up costing the team millions.

Howie was a good player that had the misfortune of having a .340 career minor league average. It blew Angels fans expectations out of proportion and he was considered a disappointment because he never met those expectations. Blame Howie all you want for his share of Angels postseason misery but that shit was a team effort. Vlad, Aybar, Lackey, Anderson, Frankie, Scioscia, Fuentes, Washburn, Santana...I could go on...all contributed to their slice of the garbage pie. Howie was a solid player, just never elite. The problem was the team's offense was so poorly constructed most seasons he would counted on to be a run producer batting 5th or 6th when he was best in the bottom third of the line-up

Howie was a good player that had the misfortune of having a .340 career minor league average. It blew Angels fans expectations out of proportion and he was considered a disappointment because he never met those expectations. Blame Howie all you want for his share of Angels postseason misery but that shit was a team effort. Vlad, Aybar, Lackey, Anderson, Frankie, Scioscia, Fuentes, Washburn, Santana...I could go on...all contributed to their slice of the garbage pie. Howie was a solid player, just never elite. The problem was the team's offense was so poorly constructed most seasons he would counted on to be a run producer batting 5th or 6th when he was best in the bottom third of the line-up

I know it's splitting hairs, but he actually hit .360 in the minors.  He was Rogers Hornsby.  

Howie was one of my favorite Angels.  He could fall out of bed and hit .290.  But he had epic expectations that he could never live up to because of one lousy pitch. the thing that hurt him was that His WPA never matched his overall production.  ie the accumulation of events that occurred with him at the plate was less valuable to the teams ability to win that what his overall stats showed they should have.  So I get why the perception was that he wasn't clutch.  Because frankly, he wasn't.  In particular from 2011 through 2013 during his prime years when the halos couldn't get to the playoffs. 

He's a free swinger so he wasn't going to work the count, and when the team was down in the late innings they would be facing guys with nasty sliders which is when he was at his worst.  His splits back it up.  He probably wasn't any worse than any other player is relative to their normal numbers, it's just more noticeable when it happens the same way over and over.  

Schilling on HK strikeout: "That's one of the saddest at bats I've seen all year. Three pitches, three real meager swings and it's over."

That's funny coming from Schilling. Guy is a total tool.