• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Prime Time for Angels to Acquire Longoria

ABC

Depending on the deal, I'd trade for Longo in a heartbeat. I'm all for Neil Walker at second, Jae-Gyun Hwang, a Korean third baseman who could get posted this winter, could be an interesting gamble. Fact is, the Angels are going to have to get incredibly creative to fix the team.

I agree that the Korean third baseman would be interesting.  Just because if you can get him like Pittsburgh got their Korean secondbaseman, it would be a very cheap option.  All things considered, very little risk especially financially, in a free agent class that isn't that great at 3B.   Freese might be the top, and we know his D.  he might get over $15 million a year, just because there is not much out there.

Longoria is from California, maybe he lowered his trade value so the Angels could get him....

Imagine going to work to play baseball and no one is there at the stadium to watch except for the few fans the team pays to show up there......pretty much the story for every Rays/Marlins game.

Unfortunately the players don't determine their own trade value. Unless he has a no trade clause he has no control over where he goes and what gets sent back for him.

Creative way of building an offense. Trade for Longo, sign Zobrist, sign Span.

1. Span LF

2. Zobrist 2B

3. Trout CF

4. Pujols 1B

5. Longo 3B

6. Calhoun RF

7. Cron DH

8. Aybar SS

9. Perez C

BENCH: Gia, Murphy, Navarro, Bandy, Robertson (FA 4th outfielder)

You have to have bench guy who can play shortstop, Gia definitely can't. I would rather sign a vet catcher a have Bandy play everyday in AAA until he is needed. Also the bench could use an outfielder with speed who can pinch run and be a solid defensive replacment.

• 1 month later...

Depends on what it would cost. If you have to give up Newcomb+ then you walk away. But if TB would be fine with a package centered around Santiago and Smith/Ellis then you would have to look at it.

My guess is TB would want a lot more than that for their "guy" though. He's still a good player (despite the expected AW hyperbole pointing out otherwise), but he doesn't appear to be nearly the same player he was just a few years ago.

But it's worth a phone call at least.

I think you are over-valuing Newcomb. At best he gets the Angels a light hitting SS. Even then, you need to add Ellis and Aybar.

Putting Hanley's potential attitude and work ethic questions aside he is exactly the type of player that Eppler was known in New York for turning them into a reclamation project.

I'm not entirely thrilled by the idea of having Ramirez but we can't ignore that Hanley was once a superstar player and that there is the potential in the right environment for him to return to some or all of his former self.

Again I'm not totally sold but the offensive ceiling is still there if the Red Sox were to eat a LOT of salary (like $30MM-40MM). At that point instead of paying him $22MM we'd be paying him closer to $12MM per season which is tolerable.

Edited by ettin

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, #CF8 said:

Cron for Longoria

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

No. Cron is looking good and we have Marte.

In principal it's not a terrible idea but the timing does not seem right for the Rays.

Willy Adames or Matt Duffy can play SS. The former is starting in AAA in 2017 which is pretty aggressive which means the Rays may call him up mid-season depending on where they are at in the standings and/or based on need. This simply means that there may not be room for Longoria in the Rays future because they have a combination of Duffy, Adames, and Miller who can play the middle infield or 3B positions. On top of that Lucius Fox is probably in their longer term plans and could be on the radar in 2-3 years too.

It is possible the Angels could include Escobar and/or Cowart in a deal but beyond that if we are looking to trade for Evan the deadline or even next offseason would be more realistic if that is what Eppler and team are looking for. Personally I think the Angels would try to acquire another younger budding star like Jake Lamb in trade or make a play for Mike Moustakas in the offseason where they don't have to expend prospect/player capital. Longoria does have a lot of experience in MLB, has a reasonably good contract (about $10MM AAV), is plus defensively, and is a Dirt Bag (so this area is home) so those are all pluses. The potential minus is that we'd be picking him up for his age 31-36 seasons which isn't ideal but isn't a disaster either particularly when you consider his contract (and Longoria at $10M vs. Moustakas at $20M is a big difference).

In the end this is simply a possibility. Compared to other possibilities it isn't a bad idea overall. Like everything else it comes down to acquisition and opportunity price.

Finally I like Marte and hope he becomes a revelation but his ideal value may still be as a reserve corner INF or even corner OF. The Angels need to build a deep team and having Jefry in that role makes me feel really comfortable while we run out other competent fielders.

On 10/13/2015 at 6:20 PM, Blarg said:

I don't see Tampa Bay, a team with limited payroll, making a move that forces them to pay for Longoria to play somewhere else but that is another subject.

The real subject is looking at a players career and being honest about what to expect from them when you factor in games played, where they were played and if that affects future performance. 

As is people are freaking out about Pujols (118 OPS+) contract with 6 more years and a player in decline and he played on natural surface. Longoria has played 8 years on concrete with 8 more to go and his numbers are propped up by the majority of hitter friendly parks in the AL East, one of which is his home park where his slugging and home run totals are falling.

Now, put him in Anaheim and the AL West run suppressing ballparks like Oakland and Seattle and many of his hits fall for outs and that average and marginal OBP is going to take a hit. So you are more than likely not getting even the player that Tampa Bay could trade if the Angels made it worth it for them to let go of their one marquee player. 

I seriously doubt he will ever see an .800 OPS season, certainly not with the Angels. His current self is just a slightly above league average player (111 OPS+), shockingly close to David Freese (109 OPS+) while entering his 30's. 

I just see the risk is higher than reward. Longoria's ceiling is now much lower than when he was in his mid 20's. His floor could just fall out from under him or he bumps along with that low .700 OPS for another 5 years. 

Reasonable trade window closed.

2016:  

.273 /.318/ .521/ .840

127 OPS+

• 1 month later...

Evan Longoria 3b
6 years/$100M (2017-22), plus 2023 club option

• 6 years/100M (2017-22), plus 2023 club options
    • signed extension with Tampa Bay 11/26/12
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 17:$13M, 18:$13.5M, 19:$14.5M, 20:$15M, 21:$18.5M,22:$19.5M, 23:$13M club option ($5M buyout)
    • 2023 option may increase $5M to $18M based on 2022 awards (rank in MVP vote, Gold Glove at third base, Silver Slugger or All-Star)
    • $11M in salary deferred without interest ($1.5M each in 2017-18 and $2M each in 2019-22), reducing present-day value for 2013-22 to $131,044,173 according to MLBPA calculation
    • as part of the deal, Tampa Bay exercised 2014-16 club options in previous contract
    • Tampa Bay also converted $6M salary for 2013 to $2M in salary & $4M signing bonus (for total of $5M in bonus money to be paid in 3 installments in 2013)