• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Why not Cespedes?

19HALO71

LF has got to be the #1 priority. They have zero depth here, and all of their major league OF are FA or have options, unless you count a Daniel Robertson / Colin Cowgill Platoon as a decent alternative.

That being said, I'd really like to spend the money on an infielder or an Ace than on a regular lefty. They need to trade for a cost-controlled guy like David Peralta. There are other options of course, but getting a guy who isn't yet an arbitration case is a huge positive for the budget. It would allow them to add BP help, an Ace and a 2B and even re-sign Freese if they feel it necessary.

One of the two open infield positions is likely to be filled by a veteran, and the other is likely one of the youngsters. Adding a cost-controlled guy via trade for left field is a huge get, instead of spending $20M per season for an .800 OPS left fielder. 

LF has got to be the #1 priority. They have zero depth here, and all of their major league OF are FA or have options, unless you count a Daniel Robertson / Colin Cowgill Platoon as a decent alternative.

That being said, I'd really like to spend the money on an infielder or an Ace than on a regular lefty. They need to trade for a cost-controlled guy like David Peralta. There are other options of course, but getting a guy who isn't yet an arbitration case is a huge positive for the budget. It would allow them to add BP help, an Ace and a 2B and even re-sign Freese if they feel it necessary.

One of the two open infield positions is likely to be filled by a veteran, and the other is likely one of the youngsters. Adding a cost-controlled guy via trade for left field is a huge get, instead of spending $20M per season for an .800 OPS left fielder. 

Problem is, cost controlled guys are like gold right now.  And to get an impact cost controlled guy would probably mean to gut the farm.  And our farm, no matter how much some people talk it up, isn't that good to begin with.  

I don't see LF as being that big a deal. Sure it would be great to get Cespedes or Heyward but that calls for a major investment in a area that can be solved spending a lot less cash. David Murphy isn't my first choice but for 1Yr/7M it's a option you may have to consider. Murphy had some nice numbers post all-star break. He can also be a possible lead-off candidate. There will also be a slew of outfielders who can be traded for ... maybe that diamond in the ruff.

Edited by Troll Daddy

The more I watch Cespedes play, the more I want him on the Angels. Everytime I hear or read his name that throw from the left field foul poll replays in my mind. The guy just plays the game at a high energy level and that can only benefit our Angels.

I would like to see:

3.Trout

4.Cespedes

5.Pujols

6.Calhoun

Go Halos!!!

I don't see LF as being that big a deal. Sure it would be great to get Cespedes or Heyward but that calls for a major investment in a area that can be solved spending a lot less cash. David Murphy isn't my first choice but for 1Yr/7M it's a option you may have to consider. Murphy had some nice numbers post all-star break. He can also be a possible lead-off candidate. There will also be a slew of outfielders who can be traded for ... maybe that diamond in the ruff.

Murphy batted .244/.260/.364 in the 2nd half compared to .319/.369/.476 in the 1st half. He was pretty awful outside of a few clutch hits with the Angels.

Murphy is fine as a 4th OF/DH but at 7 mil, it's a tough call to use him in that type of role, especially since Pujols/Cron will occupy a lot of time at DH. I don't think there's any chance the Angels want him starting in 2016 and based on the DH logjam, methinks that the team declines the option and uses the money towards a new LF. 

I like Murphy, unfortunately unless you trade for a very good third baseman, shore up catcher and second base then you can't have him as a starter on this team. Also he isn't the best 4th outfield candidate no matter what his cost is because he can't play center field.

Yeah, I think we let Murphy go abd look forward to another year of Cowgill as the 4th OF.

No argument, Heyward is a solid player and I would be more inclined to invest in him as our leadoff hitter over Cespedes as a power bat.

Not only that, the Angels do not need Heyward to hit HRs, just to be the lead-off, hit, get on base and steal bases. The HRs can be left to Trout, Pujols and Calhoun.....

Not only that, the Angels do not need Heyward to hit HRs, just to be the lead-off, hit, get on base and steal bases. The HRs can be left to Trout, Pujols and Calhoun.....

yeah, i mostly agree with that. The only problem is not aure pujols has a ton left in the tank.

40 bombs last year, yeah. But about half came in an insane one month. Thats something to keep in mind..

yeah, i mostly agree with that. The only problem is not aure pujols has a ton left in the tank.

40 bombs last year, yeah. But about half came in an insane one month. Thats something to keep in mind..

Pujols has legit power left in the tank. I'm guessing he's good for 2 more years of 30+ bombs, followed by a year or two of 20+, then we pray for his retirement.

I'm more concerned about his inability to hit with men on base and his inability to actually get on base himself. He'll hit homers and pile up RBI's, but everything else is going down significantly.

I think the power is definitely still there, will be for some time. Its his ability to make contact that worries me. If he continues to hit .240 with 30 home runs...meh, in this era its "decent". But the further his average slips, the less balls hes going yard on.

Im good with him hitting .250 with 30 home runs. Obviously pathetic for the money, but its still a power threat in the lineup. But if he keeps trending downward on his contact, the power will follow, and he doesnt walk enough anymore to make up for it.

Like everyone else im hoping he reinvents hself, gives us 20 plus home runs but bats .270

Pujols has legit power left in the tank. I'm guessing he's good for 2 more years of 30+ bombs, followed by a year or two of 20+, then we pray for his retirement.

I'm more concerned about his inability to hit with men on base and his inability to actually get on base himself. He'll hit homers and pile up RBI's, but everything else is going down significantly.

He's trading everything for the dingers. 

I would be down for this, but we have slow footed Pujols who goes into complete tank mode during the season. During his 0-50 slump, do we want Cespedes who can get hot but also pitched around like Trout if he is hitting before Pujols. I'm more inclined in getting contact hitters, guys who get on base, and can run. to set the table for Trout. This team absolutely ****ing sucks offensively in larrge spurts of the season. They need to do a better job in manufacturing runs, when Pujols starts sucking.

No point in pitching around a guy with the bases empty. 40 homers and 90 RBI.

True, I was responding to the post above mine that claimed he was pitched around, basically to prove how bad Albert was in his eyes. So QM you are in favor of signing top of the order guys instead of a guy like Cespedes, guys to get on base for Trout as opposed to guys that hit behind him to drive him in? I think I am leaning towards that as well.

Agree with everything tdawg said, except that 95 rbis with 40 HRs is not piling up the rbis.

Take away one month (June), and his general stats were even worse than in the injury plagued 2013 season. 

His May was solid too (.834 OPS).

But the other 2/3 of 2015 saw a monthly OPS ranging from very low .600s to very low .700s.

And he was allegedly healthy until the last month or so of the season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

True, I was responding to the post above mine that claimed he was pitched around, basically to prove how bad Albert was in his eyes. So QM you are in favor of signing top of the order guys instead of a guy like Cespedes, guys to get on base for Trout as opposed to guys that hit behind him to drive him in? I think I am leaning towards that as well.

Yeah I absolutely think we need OBP guys instead of another power guy behind Trout.  Ive also kind of changed my mind about going after a pitcher this offseason, after watching the Mets dominate their way through the postseason I think if we are going to have any shot we need a legitimate ace.  

Id offer a big 5 year deal to Greinke.  Then use whatever resources that are left to go after OBP guys.  If were going to bat Trout 3rd, we better have 2 guys in front of him that can get on base.  It doesnt even matter if they are one dimensional players who can only post a solid OBP and nothing else, we cant afford to have Trout drive in less than 100 runs.