• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Dean Chance passed away

chance-ap-1.jpg

Dean Chance holds the 1964 Cy Young Award he won for the Los Angeles Angels in a 2004 photo taken on his family farm in New Pittsburg, Ohio.

Edit: In those years, they only gave out 1 CY... to the best pitcher in all of baseball.

Edited by Homebrewer

He and some of the other Angel players (Fregosi being one) came around to our church (and went to other schools and churches around OC)

Drumming up interest (and new season ticket holders) for the new baseball team that was moving into a brand new stadium in the orange groves and bean fields in Anaheim, near the new amusement park called Disneyland.

Yeah...I'm old.

Edited by Homebrewer

He and some of the other Angel players came around to our church (and went to other schools and churches around OC)

Drumming up interest for the new baseball team that was moving into a brand new stadium in the orange graves and bean fields in Anaheim, near the new amusement park called Disneyland.

Yeah...I'm old.

Which church? My Dad went to Calvary Chapel in the early '70s.

In 1964, Chance won 20 games and 11 of them were shutouts.

He won five 1-0 games that year, which I believe ties the AL single-season record, set by several pitchers.

He also allowed only one earned run in 50 innings against the eventual world champion Yankees that year. A solo homer by Mickey Mantle. 

Edited by fan_since79

In 1964, Chance won 20 games and 11 of them were shutouts.

He won five 1-0 games that year, which I believe ties the AL single-season record, set by several pitchers.

He also allowed only one earned run in 50 innings against the eventual world champion Yankees that year. A solo homer by Mickey Mantle.

Yep his stats for that year were just crazy. It was an epic season that almost no one knows about.

Chance was the greatest high school pitcher to come out of the state of Ohio. His high school record is incredible, 52 wins and 1 loss.

Seventeen no-hitters, including eight in one year. He was also a great basketball player, and led his team to a state championship.

Just a fantastic athlete. His major league career was cut short at the age of 30 by nagging injuries.

Edited by fan_since79