• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

10/7/2015 NL Wildcard Game Cubs vs Pirates

Homebrewer

I wish he was in Anaheim...

You'd be complaining about the contact play, his team running into outs (they led the NL in OOB only 7 less than the Angels), and his playing David Ross over Miguel Montero because of his leadership skills and "force multiplier" ability...   Having watched TB games on a nightly basis it's hilarious how some of you fawn over a quotable Mini Mike Scioscia.

That is a good question.

Would Scioscia pull a true ace if a couple of runners reached in the 8th with his pitch count still approaching 100 and his team up 4 runs?

Should get him one and find out instead of chasing another station to station HR hitter.

Edited by Inside Pitch

I also agree that these two wild card games show how important a legitimate ace is. If I am Arte, I am opening the pocket book for Price.

Keuchel was a 7th round draft pick.

Arrieta was obtained in a trade of nothings.

You are suggesting Arte open the pocketbook for a guy in his thirties.  Something Arte's had as much success with as Republicans dealing with climate change.

that's why i made the quip about lgbt and dinosaurs, those type of beliefs are the thing that separate us, but sports where we pretend to be different and divided is actually where we're all basically the same. 

the point i'm making is the same point that the south park guys make with their "rabble rabble" recurring theme.

we root for the ca. team, somebody else roots for the illinois team, and still another roots for the new england team, etc. etc.

the idea that those guys are jerks and we're not is laughably naive and quite literally mirrors schoolyard social politics.

i'm cheering for the angels because i choose to, we all have different reasons why. the funny thing to me is that the cubs fans cheer for the cubs for identical reasons within the group dynamic, but somehow they're different from us and the difference has to be more than it simply being another team, therefore they're jerks. if i said nothing further at this point someone would reply with evidence of their "jerkiness", but it would all add up to anecdotal experience and confirmation bias.

It's a scientific fact that Red Sox fans are assholes.  Look it up.  It's been peer reviewed.

Cubs fans are not at this level presently (not even close), but there is a high statistical probability they will attain this level with following a WS victory.

Don't blame me.... blame science.

It's a scientific fact that Red Sox fans are assholes.  Look it up.  It's been peer reviewed.

Cubs fans are not at this level presently (not even close), but there is a high statistical probability they will attain this level with following a WS victory.

Don't blame me.... blame science.

I've already started to hear about the grandmothers who've waited their whole g-ddamned life for this.

Its Red Sox 2004 all over again, and its super annoying.

Pretty sure it's in the bible too.

Yep.  First chapter of Genesis:

"In the beginning, God created the heaven and earth.  And the earth was without Red Sox fans, which pleased God because they are assholes."

(It took the fall of man to infest this planet with Red Sox fans)

Edited by the dude abides

Troll Daddy Posted:

The pitching performance tonight and last night is reason why you need a legit Ace to contend in the playoffs. This would be my #1 priority in the off season.>>>>>>

You do understand that Jake was picked off the scrap heap, a floundering pitcher in the Orioles system with a 4.50+ ERA, because some scouts from the Cubs saw something in him, and it was the Cubs pitching coach, Chris Bosio, who worked him into what he is today?

Jason Hammel signed back with the Cubs after being traded to Oakland, specifically because he wanted to be back working with Bosio. Both these guys credit Bosio with saving their careers.

Pedro Strop cut his era way down this season...and the entire pitching staff praises Bosio for what they have been able to accomplish since coming under his tutelage. 

So...what does this mean??

This means that you don't need to go out and spend mega-bucks for a proven "Ace" as you put it.

What it means is that SCOUTING and COACHING are the way to go, if you want to build a good franchise. I have been calling for Butcher's dismissal for years around here. It's about time to rebuils the entire coaching staff, and get some decent f'n scouts who can actuall find some undervalued players out there to add to the young superstar we already have.

NO MORE BIG MONEY SIGNINGS UNTIL THIS PART OF THE ORG GETS FIXED!!!~     

All the offense came from two guys in the Cubs lineup last night.>>>

he vast majority of it coming from a lead off hitter, another undervalued player that Cubs scouting picked up on and Hoyer traded Straily and a utility infielder for. The guy had fielding issues in Houston, so he got under 10m in arbitration from the Cubs after the trade.

Another relatively cheap player that was scouted and obtained for little money..

He only gets what.. 3 big hits and scores how many times in a huge game?

Scouting and coaching strikes again.

Edited by Homebrewer

Troll Daddy Posted:

The pitching performance tonight and last night is reason why you need a legit Ace to contend in the playoffs. This would be my #1 priority in the off season.>>>>>>

You do understand that Jake was picked off the scrap heap, a floundering pitcher in the Orioles system with a 4.50+ ERA, because some scouts from the Cubs saw something in him, and it was the Cubs pitching coach, Chris Bosio, who worked him into what he is today?

Jason Hammel signed back with the Cubs after being traded to Oakland, specifically because he wanted to be back working with Bosio. Both these guys credit Bosio with saving their careers.

Pedro Strop cut his era way down this season...and the entire pitching staff praises Bosio for what they have been able to accomplish since coming under his tutelage.

So...what does this mean??

This means that you don't need to go out and spend mega-bucks for a proven "Ace" as you put it.

What it means is that SCOUTING and COACHING are the way to go, if you want to build a good franchise. I have been calling for Butcher's dismissal for years around here. It's about time to rebuils the entire coaching staff, and get some decent f'n scouts who can actuall find some undervalued players out there to add to the young superstar we already have.

NO MORE BIG MONEY SIGNINGS UNTIL THIS PART OF THE ORG GETS FIXED!!!~

Is it true that our coaching staff helped Heaney become a better pitcher?

Heaney is a rookie. Made him better than what, exactly?

Heaney is now an Ace? I thought you said we need to go get an Ace to compete?

Scioscia said Heaney, a former first-round pick, worked with Angels pitching coach Mike Butcher and Salt Lake pitching coach Erick Bennett to help him make an adjustment that allowed him to produce his best stuff.

“He really wasn’t finishing (his delivery) and getting out in front like he had been,” Scioscia said. “Mike looked at video of a couple years ago when he was throwing the ball well in the minors. We felt when he was throwing the ball best there was a noticeable difference from when he was stepping and where his delivery was cutting off a little bit.”

Heaney said he was “trying to get lined up toward the plate. I was throwing a little bit closed off, kind of causing my ball to flatten out and not getting a very good angle.”

Heaney said it’s been so far so good with his new mechanics, and that Butcher has been instrumental in helping him stay consistent. Angels catcher Chris Iannetta said the biggest difference he’s seen in Heaney is his fastball command.

“That was No. 1,” Iannetta said. “Second, his slider improved. His ability to throw it for strikes and the quality of the pitch was improved. It’s still developing, but he definitely made some strides.”

OCRegister.com

Hope this helps you