• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The second amendment

How many Americans die from bombings and terrorist attacks?

Worried that is innaccurate? Here's some fact-checking.

I only mentioned the Boston Marathon for the type of weapon used, not to make a connection with terrorism.  Can we keep this on topic?

What I hate about gun control policy is how people are convinced the removal of guns will stop the killing.  It won't.  All it would do is lead to the rise of IED's like that used at the Boston Marathon, or worse.  Any lunatic could kill lots and lots of people with ingredients and parts sold at Home Depot, and nobody will blink an eye when he buys the items.  

http://articles.latimes.com/2006/nov/18/local/me-asperger18

Relatives of a father and daughter who were killed when a neighbor burst into their Aliso Viejo home and opened fire have filed a lawsuit against the killer's family, the gun dealer who sold the weapon and a support-group website where the gunman had vowed to wage a "terror campaign."

I'll take my chances

Here is an article from a few years ago about a CCW holder dropping a gun at a restaurant and shooting an elderly woman.

I'm pretty anti-gun (but oddly I'm not completely anti-CCW).  One of my concerns with the "more guns" argument is that more shit like this will occur.

Curious to get the opinions of others:

1) Should this guy still be allowed to carry a concealed weapon now?

2) Should he be in jail?

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2014/07/16/11482696/

Edited by the dude abides

Here is an article from a few years ago about a CCW holder dropping a gun at a restaurant and shooting an elderly woman.

I'm pretty anti-gun (but oddly I'm not completely anti-CCW).  One of my concerns with the "more guns" argument is that more shit like this will occur.

Curious to get the opinions of others:

1) Should this guy still be allowed to carry a concealed weapon now?

2) Should he be in jail?

http://www.khou.com/story/news/2014/07/16/11482696/

I'm not a gun expert.  How did it fire from being dropped on the floor?

in order to get a gun, and especially a CCW, i think it should be absolutely mandatory for owners to be tested and licensed, just like you need to be licensed to drive a car. there should be mandatory classes for you to attend about gun safety and when it's okay to use it if you have a CCW. 

if we're not willing to do these things as a society, it's going to cost us dearly. old west kind of stuff where people shoot at morons who steal drills from home depot.

in order to get a gun, and especially a CCW, i think it should be absolutely mandatory for owners to be tested and licensed, just like you need to be licensed to drive a car. there should be mandatory classes for you to attend about gun safety and when it's okay to use it if you have a CCW. 

if we're not willing to do these things as a society, it's going to cost us dearly. old west kind of stuff where people shoot at morons who steal drills from home depot.

All of that (and much more) is already required for a CCW in California. 

you and i approached this from two different angles. while i was thinking more of how citizens don't seem to be willing to have an honest discussion, you were looking at what has or hasn't been done in congress. fair enough.

for the record, i'm embarrassed that my party is so beholden to the gun lobby, enough so that they won't honestly seek reasonable fixes to what is a growing problem. they're just entrenched with "leave my guns alone, you commie pinko bastards!". until our congress can sit down and honestly approach this issue and find ways to reasonably address the problem, it's going to be contingent on us as citizens to work from the ground up. i don't see enough of that happening, and that was a big part of my point.

It's not just the Republicans, there are plenty of spineless Democrats on the issue as well.

I only mentioned the Boston Marathon for the type of weapon used, not to make a connection with terrorism.  Can we keep this on topic?

What I hate about gun control policy is how people are convinced the removal of guns will stop the killing.  It won't.  All it would do is lead to the rise of IED's like that used at the Boston Marathon, or worse.  Any lunatic could kill lots and lots of people with ingredients and parts sold at Home Depot, and nobody will blink an eye when he buys the items.  

I'm not taking it off topic. My point was that very few people die from bombs - the type of weapon used in the Boston Marathon, which you mentioned. There are far, far more gun deaths in this country than bomb deaths, so I'm not sure why you even mentioned it.

As for the second part, that is conjecture. I agree that removing guns won't stop killing, but it seems common sense that making guns harder to come by will reduce gun violence.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/kentucky-accidential-shooting/index.html

I get more enraged with each paragraph.

Her family kept the Crickett rifle in what they considered to be a safe spot, Cumberland County Coroner Gary White told the CNN affiliate.

Family members Wednesday described the shooting as an accident.

"He just picked (the gun) up before he realized it," grandmother Linda Riddle told WLEX.

"It's just tragic," uncle David Mann told the CNN affiliate. "It's something that you can't prepare for."

Riddle said she is devastated, but comforted knowing that her granddaughter is in a better place.

"It was God's will. It was her time to go, I guess," she told WLEX. "I just know she's in heaven right now and I know she's in good hands with the Lord."

The only thing we should focus on is homicides. Accidents can happen with anything and suicide is a right (or something) so why would you inconvenience somebody trying to exercise their rights? People don't realize that one side distorts the argument on purpose by including accidents and suicides. 

I agree that we should be careful about gun sales and require some kind of training to have CCW as well as background checks. 

How many Americans die from bombings and terrorist attacks?

politifact%2Fphotos%2F12113317_920729551

Worried that is innaccurate? Here's some fact-checking.

And also:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

National rates of gun homicide and other violent gun crimes are strikingly lower now than during their peak in the mid-1990s, paralleling a general decline in violent crime, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Beneath the long-term trend, though, are big differences by decade: Violence plunged through the 1990s, but has declined less dramatically since 2000.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

And also:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/05/07/gun-homicide-rate-down-49-since-1993-peak-public-unaware/

Gun Homicide Rate Down 49% Since 1993 Peak; Public Unaware

National rates of gun homicide and other violent gun crimes are strikingly lower now than during their peak in the mid-1990s, paralleling a general decline in violent crime, according to a Pew Research Center analysis of government data. Beneath the long-term trend, though, are big differences by decade: Violence plunged through the 1990s, but has declined less dramatically since 2000.

Compared with 1993, the peak of U.S. gun homicides, the firearm homicide rate was 49% lower in 2010, and there were fewer deaths, even though the nation’s population grew. The victimization rate for other violent crimes with a firearm—assaults, robberies and sex crimes—was 75% lower in 2011 than in 1993. Violent non-fatal crime victimization overall (with or without a firearm) also is down markedly (72%) over two decades.

pretty amazing considering we're seeing another rise of the "video games turn your kids into crazy homicidal women hating monsters" narrative in the media.

Except it's coming from the far left instead of the religous right.

Edited by Poozy

The reduction of crime is one American success story. Some of it has to do with the fact that we're becoming an older nation. Another factor is tougher sentencing. The gun laws have almost no correlation.

But, then again, as I mentioned, what drives the gun control debate is MOSTLY (you personally don't have to be in this category) ideology and culture, not hard-headed facts. We can only talk about issues if we're talking about the same thing- ideology, culture, or some measurable society goal, like less deaths.

On this issue, "common sense gun laws" are not a factor in homicide rates.  Most people who want gun laws don't care about this and still advocate for stricter gun control, which leads smart people to conclude that less crime isn't the primary goal of the advocates. 

Edited by Juan Savage