• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Tradeable Assets

nando714

The Angels are really up against it and they're going to have a really hard time competing for the next few years.

If they want to continue to try to win now, they're going to have to sign an Ace (Price) and likely another good starter so that they can package a couple of young arms for position player help. 

They need a lot of help offensively. I don't think anyone not named Richards or Newcomb is going to bring back enough help. 

I don't think we have anyone to trade outside of a young pitcher or young outfielders that can net us a difference maker.  If you want to go get a young prospect that may be done that may or may not make it in the MLB, I think Aybar and Santiago types can net you one.  But if you are looking at future mlb starters type prospects in AAA, then I don't know if we have the droids other are looking for.  

The Angels are in a terrible strategic position because they have Mike Trout. Ironic. They pretty much have to try and win now. I think the only way it is possible is to trade legit pieces. 

I'd probably try to sign Price and Zimmerman and maybe a Lackey type. I'd ship Richards and Newcomb if I could get legit hitters. 

For all the talk of how bad the offense and bullpen were, their park adjusted numbers actually showed our starting pitching to be ranked the worst of the three.  

We were mediocre on all sides of the ball.  While I agree that Santiago and Shoe are tradeable assets, I don't see us getting much in return for guys that are viewed as back end starters.  

The Angels are really up against it and they're going to have a really hard time competing for the next few years.

If they want to continue to try to win now, they're going to have to sign an Ace (Price) and likely another good starter so that they can package a couple of young arms for position player help. 

They need a lot of help offensively. I don't think anyone not named Richards or Newcomb is going to bring back enough help. 

I think you are right on the win now.  And the last game really showed, an ace would be nice.  We were facing Hammels, who pitched a complete game.  They faced Richards who got pulled in the 6th.  In a long season, having a solid rotation is key.  In a one game playoff/playoff structure, having aces is key.  

Ace and a #4 hitter to try and win it all.  

If we stand pat, do we compare if the Rangers stand pat, or the Astros stand pat?  Astros also have plenty of money to spend.  Rangers core is coming back next year and they should get Darvish back.  

Rebuild.  With Trout on the team.  I really don't think this is an option.  Rebuilding now will put us on the same road as the Mariners with Arod, Griffey and the Big Unit.  

I don't think we have anyone to trade outside of a young pitcher or young outfielders that can net us a difference maker.  If you want to go get a young prospect that may be done that may or may not make it in the MLB, I think Aybar and Santiago types can net you one.  But if you are looking at future mlb starters type prospects in AAA, then I don't know if we have the droids other are looking for.  

Does Aybar even have that much value right now?  He's got one year left on his deal.  It may be the case that he'd have more value at next year's trading deadline than in this year's off-season.

And I'm just not convinced that Santiago has that much value, either.  He's got, what, 2 years of club control left?  Or 3?  Regardless, his 2nd half meltdown and inability to go deep into games limits his upside.

Does Aybar even have that much value right now?  He's got one year left on his deal.  It may be the case that he'd have more value at next year's trading deadline than in this year's off-season.

And I'm just not convinced that Santiago has that much value, either.  He's got, what, 2 years of club control left?  Or 3?  Regardless, his 2nd half meltdown and inability to go deep into games limits his upside.

5 Inning SPs aren't very valuable.

I'd take a hard look at Cueto.  No draft comp.  Some of the sheen came off because of his recent struggles.   If he checks out healthy, you might get him at a discount.  (which would likely still be something like 5/90)

I think Richards has the most value but it's down from last year and could easily go back up after a good season.  So you'd be selling low potentially.  He's got three years of arb left so if he starts to get too expensive and you can't work out an extension, then trade him.  But not right now.  

Santiago might get you a decent LF AAA prospect on a team where that guy is blocked.  

Aybar has value, but it's likely that he's more valuable to the halos than what he'd bring in trade considering our alternatives.  He's not very good offensively, but there aren't many SS that are right now.  Problem is that Taylor Featherston would be his replacement.  

Calhoun, but trading him would be counter productive. I'm sure some teams would see Santiago as a decent number 3 starter and would be willing to give up a decent prospect or two for him, but that's it.

They pretty much have to go over the luxury tax threshold, otherwise there will be minimal roster changes.

I'd take a hard look at Cueto.  No draft comp.  Some of the sheen came off because of his recent struggles.   If he checks out healthy, you might get him at a discount.  (which would likely still be something like 5/90)

I think Richards has the most value but it's down from last year and could easily go back up after a good season.  So you'd be selling low potentially.  He's got three years of arb left so if he starts to get too expensive and you can't work out an extension, then trade him.  But not right now.  

IMO.  Cueto scares me with his struggles in the AL.  Just looking at his numbers, his WHIP went sky high, and yet he was walking less batters than with Cinci earlier this year.  He could be a buy low candidate, but I just don't think the Angels can take that chance now with their salary situation.