• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Long and/or Expensive Contracts

Docwaukee

I find it amazing that the Red Sux was able to unload all those bad contracts on the Doggies a few years ago, and already they are stacked with more bad contracts.

thats a good point. They hit the lotto and screwed it up. Equally as crazy, though understandable given their finances, is that the dodgers havent sank under the weight of some really bad contracts.

thats a good point. They hit the lotto and screwed it up. Equally as crazy, though understandable given their finances, is that the dodgers havent sank under the weight of some really bad contracts.

the Dodgers don't even really use free agency anymore unless they find an undervalued player and then they add 20% to make sure they get said player.  Then they use their cash to acquire players via trade so they acquire draft money and picks or just to decrease the player value necessary to acquire who they want.  

I'm liking the Zobrist idea, he will be expensive but seems like the type of player that would age well. If they could get Zobrist for 2nd, Solarte from SD to be the utility guy, let Freese walk and let Cowart and Kubitza battle it out for 3rd. See if we could get the D-backs to bite on a trade of Santiago and Nate Smith for Pollock and then focus on the bullpen and getting a front line starter if Arte is willing to spend the money.

1. Pollock

2. Zobrist

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Calhoun

6. Cron

7. Aybar

8. Kubitza/Cowart

9. Perez/Bandy

Also believe Perez fills the hole at C if Scioscia will play him.  Pujols hitting behind Trout is troublesome.  He's turned to mush down the stretch this year and no reason to expect this to improve as he gets even older (whatever his age is).  He hits some home runs but is horrible with RISP.  That hole in the lineup needs to be filled with someone who will make folks pitch to Trout.   Surround that hole in the lineup with better players and the hole becomes even more conspicuous.

I'm liking the Zobrist idea, he will be expensive but seems like the type of player that would age well. If they could get Zobrist for 2nd, Solarte from SD to be the utility guy, let Freese walk and let Cowart and Kubitza battle it out for 3rd. See if we could get the D-backs to bite on a trade of Santiago and Nate Smith for Pollock and then focus on the bullpen and getting a front line starter if Arte is willing to spend the money.

1. Pollock

2. Zobrist

3. Trout

4. Pujols

5. Calhoun

6. Cron

7. Aybar

8. Kubitza/Cowart

9. Perez/Bandy

That Pollock deal ain't happening in a million years, but I agree on Zobrist. Need a lot more than him though.

The bottom line is that the Angels need offense, pure and simple. The positions most in need of upgrading are C, 2B, 3B, and LF. Of the four, I like in-house options most at C and 3B, so that leaves 2B and LF. My guess is that the Angels look for a relatively budget solution at 2B, but go all in on one of Upton, Cespedes, or Heyward for the outfield. Assuming Arte is willing to swallow luxury tax money for a year.

Looking at the league as a whole, the Angels don't look that bad. If you add in Weaver and Wilson they probably drop to the worst third, but considering they only have one more year the team looks in the middle of the back and will look better once Hamilton's contract is done. Of course by then we could have another albatross contract....

I wouldn't be surprised if Arte bites the bullet and swallows a year of salary tax and goes all in on Price or Cueto and Cespedes or Heyward.

When was the last time we didn't have a bad OF contract? Before Hamilton there was Wells, before him was GMJ, before all of them were Finley and Erstad. Impressively, as each one was coming to a close we managed to go out and find an even bigger clusterf**k.

I'm liking the Zobrist idea, he will be expensive but seems like the type of player that would age well. 

He's always been a unique player, so much so that if you comp him to his closest comps at BBR he's really nothing like any of them...  His athleticism also tends to separate him apart and may help him stave off an epic decline but he's going to be 35 next season -- there is a level of risk there.

That Pollock deal ain't happening in a million years, but I agree on Zobrist. Need a lot more than him though.

It doesn't have to be pollock I'm just saying we can use our pitching depth to get a left fielder or a second baseman. We don't have to blow a 1st round pick on a free agent outfielder, there are other ways to do it. Pollock was simply an example of the type of player we need