• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Can't we just bail on the Middle-East?

So can't we all agree that Western values, cultures, and societies are superior to those of people in the middle east? Everything we do is better. Our governments are better. Our religions are more tolerant. Our human rights records are far superior. We treat our women and children better. We have less poverty. We are more scientifically evolved. Our medicine and health are superior. Even our weather is better.

I agree, but I'm using what I consider to be a universal standard. Obviously, most Muslims don't feel that way, but they have a different standard. So do many college professors. 

By the way, the Western  standard isn't primarily based on time. There has never been a time in the post-Christian West when women were treated as Muslim women are treated today, for example. 

Oh, wait. I'm stereotyping! 

Is that really worth the cost that it has brought to our young men and women in the military? I don't think it is, not even close. We bring back thousands of soldiers back with PTSD, not to mention the bodily injuries and death. What we ask of them shouldn't be asked almost ever.

I'm tired of watching our vets come back, struggle to live normal again, or end up on the streets or in simple poverty. I'm tired of watching them struggle to survive after giving so much.

It isn't worth it and I will be at issue with anyone running for president who doesn't treat our people in uniform as though they are more precious than commodities.

The military and government dont give a shit about vets.

Its the NFL, once they're done using you, next man up and good luck

So can't we all agree that Western values, cultures, and societies are superior to those of people in the middle east? Everything we do is better. Our governments are better. Our religions are more tolerant. Our human rights records are far superior. We treat our women and children better. We have less poverty. We are more scientifically evolved. Our medicine and health are superior. Even our weather is better.

Yes, I agree. This is where the academic cultural relativists get it wrong, imo.

Yeah. Stereotypes are awful. Many people stereotype Aztecs as bloosthirsty when I'm sure a lot of them were very sensitive and caring. 

Pointing out historical facts is wrong? 

By the way, does anybody else find it funny that many people see our new openness to sexual diversity is really a regression to the ancient norm. 

But you're not really pointing out historical facts, or rather you're not recognizing who these "facts" were recorded by.

I mean, that you're quoting Cortez as a reliable source is laughable. Are you aware of what Cortez did? What the conquistadores and other Christian settlers did to the native peoples of the Americas? Are you aware of the mass genocide that took place?

That said, you do bring up a good point that Christianity has advanced us in many ways. But now it is, by and large, holding us back - at least the fundamentalists are. It isn't unlike a middle school mentality being necessary to educate one out of lower school. But now we need to move beyond middle school.

Yes, I agree. This is where the academic cultural relativists get it wrong, imo.

But you're not really pointing out historical facts, or rather you're not recognizing who these "facts" were recorded by.

I mean, that you're quoting Cortez as a reliable source is laughable. Are you aware of what Cortez did? What the conquistadores and other Christian settlers did to the native peoples of the Americas? Are you aware of the mass genocide that took place?

That said, you do bring up a good point that Christianity has advanced us in many ways. But now it is, by and large, holding us back - at least the fundamentalists are. It isn't unlike a middle school mentality being necessary to educate one out of lower school. But now we need to move beyond middle school.

The Aztecs didn't have cannibalism, massive human sacrifice, slavery, etc.? What source is this? The may have been the worst civilization on Earth in the pre-modern world. 

1800 years after Christ, it was still Christians building the US and other areas that were advancing the world. But, now you declare that their hard work isn't needed anymore because what?

The Aztecs didn't have cannibalism, massive human sacrifice, slavery, etc.? What source is this? The may have been the worst civilization on Earth in the pre-modern world. 

1800 years after Christ, it was still Christians building the US and other areas that were advancing the world. But, now you declare that their hard work isn't needed anymore because what?

Again I didn't say any of that. Why do you insist on putting words in my mouth that I didn't actually say? I'm saying that Cortez is not a reliable narrator. I'm also acknowledging that Christianity has done good things (as well as bad), but am saying that it also holds us back in many ways.

If Russia gains control of middle east oil distribution the economy of the US crumbles worse than when we wrecked the USSR's in the 80's. So if you are concerned about the Vets returning to poverty think of them as a small sample of the rest of the population.

The US economy is going to crumble anyway. The less Americans dying in a desert far away, the better.

Again I didn't say any of that. Why do you insist on putting words in my mouth that I didn't actually say? I'm saying that Cortez is not a reliable narrator. I'm also acknowledging that Christianity has done good things (as well as bad), but am saying that it also holds us back in many ways.

Bias is always an issue. Aztecs didn't really have writing, but we know from Aztec picture drawings that they were dicks. 

Do you vote Democrat?

Last time I voted was in 2004 and it was for Bush but I was 19 and naive. I have my conservative views and my liberals ones. I know this must be shocking for you that some of us don't live in a black and white world.

How did I come to this view point of the world? I grew up. Perhaps you should do the same.

I'm not trying to be the Islam defender but here I go again, in regards to the chai boy business. It's not really an Islamic thing. It's more of a local afghan thing. Despicable stuff. As far as I know, the taliban did not tolerate such practices. In fact that's part of the reason some of the locals prefer the tailban to these "allies" of ours.