• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Greatest Baseball Games Ever

fan_since79

A little baseball history for a Saturday afternoon.

July 10, 1932, Cleveland

A's 18, Indians 17

18 innings

Eddie Rommel pitched 17 innings in relief for Philadelphia and won. He set ML records for batters faced by a relief pitcher (87), most hits allowed in a game (29), and most runs allowed by a winning pitcher (14).

The 33 hits by the Indians are the most by a team in one game since 1900.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CLE/CLE193207100.shtml

ny-times-head.jpg?w=450&h=366

Edited by fan_since79

A few games come to mind for me. For impact, Game 7 of the Twins - Braves World Series of 1991. 0-0 into extras, Jack Morris going the distance and getting the win when Minnesota punched across a run in the bottom of the 10th. Lots of back and forth for a scoreless game. Truly epic.

Another Game 7 in 1960 between the Pirates and Yankees. Pittsburgh had won three tight games, New York won three blowouts and trailed 9-7 in the ninth, then 9-8 with one out and runners on 1st and 3rd. Then an amazing play happened. A quick grounder to the first baseman who steps on the base for the force and tries to complete the double play but Mantle somehow avoids the out, curls around and dives back into first safely. Meanwhile, the tying run scores. I'm sure the sighs from the Forbes Field crowd came from the belief that the big bad Yankees get all the breaks and were going to win again. Until Light hitting Bill Mazeroski led off the bottom of the ninth and jacked a 430 foot home run over the left field wall.

As for regular season offense, I remember the 23-22 Phillies win in 10 innings over the Cubs in '79.

Edited by LAA Road Tripper

As an Angel fan, and the game itself was great but I remember one of the greatest turning-point moments. 2002 Game 4 ALDS, Yankees leading early 1-0, runner at first with one out and Robin Ventura hit a booming shot destined for the right center field seats. But it never got there. Instead the ball hit off the top of the fence right before the wall drops down a few feet. A foot or two higher or a foot or two to the left and it's 3-0 NY.

Erstad quickly threw the ball back in, holding the runners at 2nd and 3rd and the Angels got out of the inning unscathed. Right then I thought all the old demons might be suffocating.

Whoa, Johnny Burnett went 9 for 11.

If I'm reading Baseball Almanac correctly, nobody else has had 8 hits in a game.  A couple had 7.  All extra inning games.  

Rennie Stennet had 7 hits in a nine-inning game on Sept 16, 1975. That's the all-time record for a regulation game. The Pirates beat the Cubs, 22-0.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHN/CHN197509160.shtml

Hate to say it but the Donnie Moore game was amazing, especially since we had done the same to them the night before. Red Sox led all game long, coughed up four runs to us late in the game, then we know the rest.

I didn't see it, but the Rangers/Cardinals World Series game was supposed to be an all-timer.

Best I ever saw (being biased) was Game 6 against the Giants.

There were a lot of dramatic moments in the 18-17 A's victory. In the 9th inning, with Cleveland up by a run, Indians' first baseman Ed Morgan fumbled a routine grounder that would have ended the game, and the A's were able to go ahead and score two runs to take the lead. In the bottom of the 9th inning, Cleveland tied the score, and with two outs and the winning run on base, A's center fielder Mule Haas made a spectacular diving catch to prevent a walk-off win and send the game to extra innings. Haas also made another great catch at the wall in the 16th inning to keep the game tied up.

http://sabr.org/gamesproj/game/july-10-1932-athletics-outlast-indians-18-inning-slugfest

Hate to say it but the Donnie Moore game was amazing, especially since we had done the same to them the night before. Red Sox led all game long, coughed up four runs to us late in the game, then we know the rest.

I didn't see it, but the Rangers/Cardinals World Series game was supposed to be an all-timer.

Have to give credit to Calvin Scheraldi in 1986. He coughed up Clemens' 9th inning lead, buried his head in a towel after Grich's winning hit, and then dominated the Halos in the 11th inning the next day to wrap up the game 5 win.

2002 allows that comment.

Hate to say it but the Donnie Moore game ass amazing, especially since we had done the same to them the night before. Red Sox led all game long, coughed up four runs to us late in the game, then we know the rest.

That game was one of the most entertaining postseason games in recent memory. I watched the whole thing. Unfortunately, so did Arte :(

STILL can't believe we didn't get the winning run home from 3rd with only one out in the bottom of the ninth. All the successful bunts we had that season, but I guess DeCinces didn't have too many of them.

Wait, I just confused 82 with 86. Still, Mauch was manager.

Edited by Lou E Ville