• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

where have you been

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Been meaning to hit that new orleans ww2 museum forever. Is the hbo series still on? I heard about it a few years back, then nothing...like it got scrapped.

Looks like it is still a go

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/the-mighty-eighth-filming-spielberg-tom-hanks-1998119

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

New orleans doesnt strike as "WW2", but i remember reading somewhere thats where we manufactured the highins boat landing craft. I think that played a part in picking the sight

That would make sense. They have a Higgins (LCVP) on display in the entrance.  They also name one of the streets Higgins Way.

The ticket area is setup to look like a train station from the 40's. After you get your ticket and Dog Tag you line up on the station platform  to get on the "train". It is an old passenger car where you sit down and activate the Dog Tag. If there is a line you can skip the car and register at a free standing kiosk. 

On 3/22/2017 at 1:18 PM, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Lots of HI travelers.... I'm going to Kauai in 3 weeks. Sun, sand, surf, golf, hike, mai tais and more mai tais. 

Haven't been back to Hawaii since I retired from the Airlines, but back in those days I was a regular visitor. Free flights (most of the time 1st class) and deeply discounted rooms (like $10) and interline lounges (airline employee's only) made it an inviting long weekend destination. Kauai was my favorite, but this was back before there were 100's of major hotels and resorts. Princeville was a spot on the map with a few condos. I was there, staying in one of those condos the day Challenger exploded. I've hiked the Napali coast

Anyways...I hope someone will check this place out and report back. It's owned by legendary musician and producer Todd Rundgren ( who I am a long time fan of, and have met several times) and his wife Michelle.

http://www.tikiiniki.com/

9 hours ago, calscuf said:

I go to Hawaii for a lawyer conference every year and I try to enjoy myself, but the place always pisses me off.  Asshole locals, tons of fat American tourists and ridiculously overpriced.  It's warm, but it's not much warmer than here and unless you're a surfer, I don't think the beaches are that great.

The nude pot party at Little Beach on Maui on Sundays is pretty cool, I'll admit that.

I've had no urge at all to return.

10 hours ago, notherhalo said:

Anyone going to the Baja 250 this upcoming weekend?

We got plenty of room, come hang with us.  Will be needing a new liver while there.

San Felipe? I left some of my liver there, if you need some you can look for it a the Miramar and Ruben's

20 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Haven't been back to Hawaii since I retired from the Airlines, but back in those days I was a regular visitor. Free flights (most of the time 1st class) and deeply discounted rooms (like $10) and interline lounges (airline employee's only) made it an inviting long weekend destination. Kauai was my favorite, but this was back before there were 100's of major hotels and resorts. Princeville was a spot on the map with a few condos. I was there, staying in one of those condos the day Challenger exploded. I've hiked the Napali coast

Anyways...I hope someone will check this place out and report back. It's owned by legendary musician and producer Todd Rundgren ( who I am a long time fan of, and have met several times) and his wife Michelle.

http://www.tikiiniki.com/

Been there a few times. Nice little chill place. Also nice because its within walking distance from the place we stay at. Tequila Tuesdays and whiskey Wednesdays are a hit. I never knew Todd owned it. 

21 hours ago, Angel Dog and Beer said:

Been there a few times. Nice little chill place. Also nice because its within walking distance from the place we stay at. Tequila Tuesdays and whiskey Wednesdays are a hit. I never knew Todd owned it. 

There is a baseball connection here also..Todd's son Rex played in the minors for over a decade. At times when I would run into Todd he would be sporting a T from whatever team Rex was playing with. Michelle runs the tiki, so if you mention Rex and his baseball career, or her wiener dogs...drop my name..you might get a drink outa the deal...

I know TR well enough to know that he would never allow a weak pour in a bar he owns. Alas I've never been able to make it there. Michelle was a dancer/singer...most famously known as one of the stage girls for the infamous TUBES tours of the 70's. She has also toured all over the world as a back up singer with Todd. The  "Nearly Human" tour is a stand out. TR is really popular in other countries, especially Japan. Michelle is an incredible, sickly witty, and awesome gal.

You might or might not know that Liv Tyler's original name was Liv Rundgren, and Todd raised her as his own, and she didn't know she was Steven Tyler's daughter until she was a teenager. Todd and Michelle are as much or more her parents as Steven is.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=rundgr001rex

14 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

I've had no urge at all to return.

San Felipe? I left some of my liver there, if you need some you can look for it a the Miramar and Ruben's

@Lawrenceis it cool to drive there?  I spend months in Merida, but I'm going with 2 white girls and an American-Mexican dude who doesn't speak Spanish through Calexico, possibly at night 

8 hours ago, notherhalo said:

@Lawrenceis it cool to drive there?  I spend months in Merida, but I'm going with 2 white girls and an American-Mexican dude who doesn't speak Spanish through Calexico, possibly at night 

You will be OK...It's mostly hiway through Calexico and Mexicali...Just pay close attention in the roundabout and don't miss the San Felipe sign or you will find yourself in Hermosillo or Tecate or some nasty part of Mexicali   ...now there is a brand new fancy highway going south through San Felipe ( San Felipe used to be the end of the pavement) so it is probably easier than it was just a few years ago. Love San Felipe.

• 3 weeks later...

Back from Maui - f*cking love that place more and more every time we go. Big thumbs up on the Andaz too, was fantastic. Four Seasons is still our favorite, but Andaz nudges Ritz Carlton out of second place.

I set us up with the private candlelit dining on the beach at the Fairmont for dinner on our last night. F*cking insanely badass. Definitely look into it for those heading to Maui anytime soon. 

On 4/14/2017 at 9:37 PM, Tank said:

Anyone done a marriage at the beach in Maui? Been thinking about renewing our vows since this will be a second honeymoon of sorts.

I did wedding on the beach in Antigua a few years ago. Was awesome.

Totally do it in Maui! Highly recommend Four Seasons, Andaz, Fairmont and the Ritz up north. Those places will take great care of you. 

4 hours ago, Lawrence said:

I've been a part of two different weddings at the Olowalu Plantation House just south of Lahaina. Fun times.

http://www.olowaluplantationhouse.com/

that's a whole lot more money than i want to spend. was hoping for something in the low hundred dollar range as there will only be four of us there. thanks for the info, nonetheless.

16 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Im closing in on 40 countries....need 3 more before i actually hit 40. Have my eye on a few to tick off the last spots, but im out of vacation time pretty much.

badass! f*ck it. just call in sick and if they give you grief just quit. travel is more important. ;)

what are your top 5 spots? i need ideas for next year. im heading to alaska in a few weeks. then around sep i am thinking of doing a trio of my faves: amsterdam, munich for oktoberfest, and dubrovnik. my wife has never been to croatia. then around holidays i want to do sweden for ice hotel and lapland finland. had you done northern lights? someone here has.

i know you said guadalupe is awesome. did you end up doing rwanda?

• 4 weeks later...

Just got back from Alaska - wife took me up there for my birthday.

Holy sh*t balls is it pretty, and cold. She set up a helicopter ride out over glacier - just f*cking insanely gorgeous. Pilot landed on the glacier and let us wander around. That's some high quality H20 when drank straight from a glacier. We did some sled dog training and got to play with 13 day old sleg dog pups. 

Stopped in Victoria, BC on the way back. Very pretty town.