• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

2 hours ago, gotbeer said:

"It saddens us to know that the students to whom these teachers dedicate their time and talents every day would misuse technology in a way that causes teachers undeserved stress and emotional hardship," said Superintendent Daniel Goffredo in the statement.

while this wasn't the specific issue that i had to deal with, i know this exact feeling of unnecessary stress. it was a tough way to end my career. 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

"It saddens us to know that the students to whom these teachers dedicate their time and talents every day would misuse technology in a way that causes teachers undeserved stress and emotional hardship," said Superintendent Daniel Goffredo in the statement.

while this wasn't the specific issue that i had to deal with, i know this exact feeling of unnecessary stress. it was a tough way to end my career. 

As a nation, we really have failed the kids. Covid made it acceptable to place the desires of adults above that of our youth. I was kind of skeptical of our church basically ending most adult functions while promoting youth events 5 nights a week. My son is grown and I just didn’t understand how in 4 years kids have progressively gotten worse. Probably a dozen girls below the age of 14 have been saved and their stories are the same. Sex, drugs, and attempted suicide nearly destroyed them all. 
I hope Trump wins but he and republicans are surrendering the culture war for money and power. This nation is in dire need of a God fearing leader willing to stand on his business. 

There are people that hook up to chargers and walk away to do whatever they want, however long they want. At where I work they have a jack on rollers that can lift and move cars and I've seen them remove cars that are stealing reserved spots. 

12 hours ago, Tank said:

Schools really need to ban smartphones.  

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

Schools really need to ban smartphones.  

it's a tough call because we've become so technology dependent in classes. kids want to use their devices to look up absolutely everything. on their computers, they'll have more than one tab open so that if a teacher walks by, they can quickly switch back to the page that makes it look like they're working, something i saw far too many times. 

it's harder than you think to get them off technology. i think for far too many kids, there are addiction issues.

one of the things we've done for the last several years in jr. high is that we collected their phones first thing in the morning during homeroom and then returned them at the end of the school day. that helped a lot, and phones were not an issue anymore in class (except for kids who tried to be sneaky). but with the evrerr-present temptation to use them after school, our jr. high staff started discussing the idea of banning smart phones next year and only allowing a grandma-style cell phone only for this coming year. i won't get to see it through, but i think it's a necessary step.

we need a better way to deal with computers. that was by far our biggest problem, and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down. 

28 minutes ago, Tank said:

it's a tough call because we've become so technology dependent in classes. kids want to use their devices to look up absolutely everything. on their computers, they'll have more than one tab open so that if a teacher walks by, they can quickly switch back to the page that makes it look like they're working, something i saw far too many times. 

it's harder than you think to get them off technology. i think for far too many kids, there are addiction issues.

one of the things we've done for the last several years in jr. high is that we collected their phones first thing in the morning during homeroom and then returned them at the end of the school day. that helped a lot, and phones were not an issue anymore in class (except for kids who tried to be sneaky). but with the evrerr-present temptation to use them after school, our jr. high staff started discussing the idea of banning smart phones next year and only allowing a grandma-style cell phone only for this coming year. i won't get to see it through, but i think it's a necessary step.

we need a better way to deal with computers. that was by far our biggest problem, and it doesn't show any signs of slowing down. 

Does every kid get a computer in class now? 

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

Does every kid get a computer in class now? 

yes. they all bring their own laptop. 

we no longer keep dictionaries or encyclopedias in our rooms, mostly because the kids stopped using them since they had a computer available.

12 minutes ago, Tank said:

yes. they all bring their own laptop. 

we no longer keep dictionaries or encyclopedias in our rooms, mostly because the kids stopped using them since they had a computer available.

Makes me feel old. In high school, I was part of the "e-core" program, in which we were allowed to bring our laptops to our English and history classes, and the teachers incorporated technology more. But none of the other classes had or allowed computers. And that was high school.

Are schools able to restrict access to certain websites on their WiFi? 

4 minutes ago, Taylor said:

yes, and this is an active situation to keep kids away from places that can be troublesome.

remember that i've been in a parochial school so i can't really speak to what public schools are doing, but that's what we did at our school. 

3 hours ago, Taylor said:

Makes me feel old. In high school, I was part of the "e-core" program, in which we were allowed to bring our laptops to our English and history classes, and the teachers incorporated technology more. But none of the other classes had or allowed computers. And that was high school.

Most school systems have protected WiFi that is controlled by the school Admin Tech. They IP block just about everything that isn't "safe", which often constricts google searches. But kids have phones so they live outside the firewalls. 

17 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Most school systems have protected WiFi that is controlled by the school Admin Tech. They IP block just about everything that isn't "safe", which often constricts google searches. But kids have phones so they live outside the firewalls. 

Right. I think banning smartphones is the right call. Parents who need to helicopter their kids can give them a dumb phone.

16 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Right. I think banning smartphones is the right call. Parents who need to helicopter their kids can give them a dumb phone.

That's a reasonable plan for controlling the situation since the addictiveness of unchecked connectivity to the web is overwhelming adults as well as children. 

My wife and I went to a New Years Eve concert a couple years ago and they had everyone keep their phones but put them in a pouch that cut off their connectivity. After the concert you just went to one of the ushers and they unsealed the case, you were never were without your phone, it just wasn't able to send, receive and most importantly to the artist, record the show. There is a case where even adults had to be removed from the habit of bad behavior in public. 

6 foreign nationals in Southern California charged in massive ATM ‘skimming’ scam

Six foreign nationals in the country illegally, all living in Southern California, have been charged by federal authorities for their alleged roles in a sweeping, multi-state conspiracy to install “skimming” devices on automated teller machines and checkout point-of-sale units at retail stores, officials announced Tuesday.