• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

17 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I really. truly think that politics being injected into everything doesn't really account for most of the "ratings" decline. I think it's representative of the fact that the way people consume entertainment and how they choose to spend their time has changed dramatically over the last two decades. 

You can see it in MLB ratings (look at the swings relative to markets involved in the WS, even small market ones compared to the past), NFL ratings, NCAA football ratings, NASCAR! ratings, the number of movie tickets sold, TV ratings in general (the biggest show today wouldn't touch those that were big in the 90's/early 2000's). Sure, some things will spike back up due to intense interest in certain scenarios/events, but the larger trend straight across the board is downward. I guess the NBA is possibly an outlier, but those guys aren't political at all, right? (Ohhhh, heeeey, wait a minute)

Hollywood as ALWAYS been political, so it's not like that's a new development. There are more awesome television shows than ever before, there's just crap ton of them and there are a billion different ways for people to watch them, both paid/accounted for and not.

Sure, there are some goofballs who can't get over themselves just like some of the Hollywood people can't and thus refuse to watch stuff generated by Hollywood, but more than anything it's representative of a giant shift in terms of how we consume things.

You don't blame the fall of the actual printed newspaper on political content, do you? After all, I've heard all my life about the liberal news media. People still consume news, it's just coming from different places.

This is largely all about fragmentation.

This is about right. The biggest contributor (as far as I can tell at least), is that people are just always busy these days. People in general have no more free time anymore.

Or rather, what free time we have we spend with our faces buried in our phones. http://www.businessinsider.com/why-it-feels-like-you-have-no-free-time-anymore-2017-11#what-free-time-people-do-have-they-spend-it-on-their-devices-5

51 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I really. truly think that politics being injected into everything doesn't really account for most of the "ratings" decline. I think it's representative of the fact that the way people consume entertainment and how they choose to spend their time has changed dramatically over the last two decades. 

You can see it in MLB ratings (look at the swings relative to markets involved in the WS, even small market ones compared to the past), NFL ratings, NCAA football ratings, NASCAR! ratings, the number of movie tickets sold, TV ratings in general (the biggest show today wouldn't touch those that were big in the 90's/early 2000's). Sure, some things will spike back up due to intense interest in certain scenarios/events, but the larger trend straight across the board is downward. I guess the NBA is possibly an outlier, but those guys aren't political at all, right? (Ohhhh, heeeey, wait a minute)

Hollywood as ALWAYS been political, so it's not like that's a new development. There are more awesome television shows than ever before, there's just crap ton of them and there are a billion different ways for people to watch them, both paid/accounted for and not.

Sure, there are some goofballs who can't get over themselves just like some of the Hollywood people can't and thus refuse to watch stuff generated by Hollywood, but more than anything it's representative of a giant shift in terms of how we consume things.

You don't blame the fall of the actual printed newspaper on political content, do you? After all, I've heard all my life about the liberal news media. People still consume news, it's just coming from different places.

I can agree with your assessment but it still sucks to never be able to escape the world of politics. 

1 hour ago, RallyMo said:

This is the talking point I keep hearing from Hollywood.  I don't think it is the entire picture.  Hollywood has never been this political and the country has never been this divided.  They piss off a good percentage of their customer base and then make excuses as to why those customers aren't buying their product anymore 

Read a story about it this weekend...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/hollywood-has-always-been-political-and-it-hasnt-always-been-liberal/2018/03/02/5e8456c2-1d8e-11e8-9de1-147dd2df3829_story.html?utm_term=.d91b077e5429

But it was Richard Nixon who cemented the Republican-Hollywood connection. A native of Southern California, Nixon cultivated Hollywood supporters over the years, but after losing to the media-savvy John F. Kennedy in 1960, he took entertainment more seriously. He studied then-California Gov. Ronald Reagan’s political success, observing how the former actor “reached the hearts” of voters. He revamped his media strategy for 1968 by following in Reagan’s footsteps (going so far as to appear on “Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In”), and then as president ingrained those lessons into his presidency and the national Republican Party. Nixon worked hard to bring athletes, actors and musicians on board for his reelection campaign in 1972. And then his team urged them to “work for the party all year round.” He cultivated a relationship with the country singer Merle Haggard, whose hits “Okie From Muskogee” and “The Fightin’ Side of Me” became conservative anthems, taking it to antiwar protesters and others who were agitating for change. Television actress Pam Powell headed Nixon’s youth outreach. Sinatra and Charlton Heston made waves as Democrats turned Republicans. Surrogates were equipped with campaign “briefing books” and exploited all media opportunities — on talk shows, in interviews and through campaign events — to promote Nixon....

.....The prominence of celebrities in Nixon’s orbit explains why conservatives could dismiss Reagan as just an actor in 1968 but embrace him as a leader a decade later. 

29 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

This is the talking point I keep hearing from Hollywood.  I don't think it is the entire picture.  Hollywood has never been this political and the country has never been this divided.  They piss off a good percentage of their customer base and then make excuses as to why those customers aren't buying their product anymore 

I don't think it's all the picture, but it's most of the picture.

I don't watch ANYTHING live on television except sports, and even then I'm streaming via an app that doesn't get figured into TV ratings.

This world is a different one that the one that existed even 10 years ago.

4 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

They do it because they have a supiority complex.  They believe what they have to say is so important.  

they also do it because there are a billion people watching the oscars and it's a huge opportunity to get your message out to the public.

2 hours ago, LHalo said:

Down 19% YoY is nothing less than a "fuck you" to the Oscars. There's no way around it. 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Okay, lost out on the acronym of the day contest but WTF is YoY?

I assume he means year over year.

It's pretty bad, but not nearly as dramatic as the obviously giant "Go To Hell You Pack of MF SOBs" that NASCAR has received:

https://www.bing-amp.com/c/s/www.washingtonpost.com%2famphtml%2fnews%2fearly-lead%2fwp%2f2018%2f02%2f19%2fdaytona-500-overnight-tv-ratings-likely-the-worst-in-races-history%2f

There's no way around it.

21 hours ago, RallyMo said:

I don't think it's all the picture, but it's most of the picture.

I don't watch ANYTHING live on television except sports, and even then I'm streaming via an app that doesn't get figured into TV ratings.

This world is a different one that the one that existed even 10 years ago.

Your streaming is figured into ratings. Whether live or on demand everything is quantified and it's a hell of a lot easier to account for eyeballs on apps and streaming video to track what you've chosen. Every click is recorded in a database as well as every settop box sending data back on channel changes when viewers are bored or commercial hopping.

How do you think Netflix comes up with such stupid recommendations when you actually watch one episode of something someone in the hangout forum posts is a great show?

BTW the new Rob Schnieder show on Netflix is great, you should watch it.

2 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

I assume he means year over year.

It's pretty bad, but not nearly as dramatic as the obviously giant "Go To Hell You Pack of MF SOBs" that NASCAR has received:

https://www.bing-amp.com/c/s/www.washingtonpost.com%2famphtml%2fnews%2fearly-lead%2fwp%2f2018%2f02%2f19%2fdaytona-500-overnight-tv-ratings-likely-the-worst-in-races-history%2f

There's no way around it.

Richard Petty needs to die again. 

Edited by Blarg

13 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Your streaming is figured into ratings. Whether live or on demand everything is quantified and it's a hell of a lot easier to account for eyeballs on apps and streaming video to track what you've chosen. Every click is recorded in a database as well as every settop box sending data back on channel changes when viewers are bored or commercial hopping.

How do you think Netflix comes up with such stupid recommendations when you actually watch one episode of something someone in the hangout forum posts is a great show?

BTW the new Rob Schnieder show on Netflix is great, you should watch it.

I'm specifically talking about overnight ratings and live viewers. Of course other routes are quantified. It'd be insane to think otherwise and that wasn't up for debate as best I could tell.