• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

How dare they be proud for being Americans?! Don't they know that this country is the source of much of the evil in this world and whose history is mostly a story of conquest, mass murder, and domination? Come on, look at Columbus. He came over here and killed everyone in sight. America was much better when the buffalo roamed freely and peaceful indigenous peoples lived in harmony with nature and each other. That's the America we need to reclaim, by whatever means necessary.

/sarcasm

Edited by fan_since79

• Replies 23.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

22 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

How dare they be proud for being Americans?! Don't they know that this country is the source of much of the evil in this world and whose history is mostly a story of conquest, mass murder, and domination? Come on, look at Columbus. He came over here and killed everyone in sight. America was much better when the buffalo roamed freely and peaceful indigenous peoples lived in harmony with nature and each other. That's the America we need to reclaim, by whatever means necessary.

/sarcasm

You should probably educate yourself about who Christopher Columbus was.  Even in his own time the man was regarded as a vile piece of shit.  Corrupt, dishonest and cruel.  His only virtue was that he was a decent navigator.  

Really, he’s not the guy you should be trying to hold up as a victim of of some smear campaign. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

4 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

You should probably educate yourself about who Christopher Columbus was.  Even in his own time the man was regarded as a vile piece of shit.  Corrupt, dishonest and cruel.  His only virtue was that he was a decent navigator.  

Really, he’s not the guy you should be trying to hold up as a victim of of some smear campaign. 

I see you have been reading the put forward history books.

Yes, this country has screwed a lot,of things up.  Yes, our government is corrupt, with or without Trump.  Yes, we have shed a lot of blood.  We have also,done good things. Helped millions with foreign aid.  Let's not pretend that there are these benevolent countries out there.

governmentnis a reflection of people and people are selfish, greedy sob's.  

5 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I see you have been reading the put forward history books.

Yes, this country has screwed a lot,of things up.  Yes, our government is corrupt, with or without Trump.  Yes, we have shed a lot of blood.  We have also,done good things. Helped millions with foreign aid.  Let's not pretend that there are these benevolent countries out there.

governmentnis a reflection of people and people are selfish, greedy sob's.  

I’m talking about Christopher Columbus.  What I described is an accurate description of the man. He’s not someone that should be celebrated.  He’s not a necessary American icon. 

And yes.  I read lots of history books. 

Honestly, this post is baffling to me.  I’ve been critical of  US foreign policy.  So have you.  I don’t think I’ve ever implied that the US does no good.  And I really don’t understand how you jumped to that from this post on Columbus.  The man was a piece of shit.  That’s not liberal revisionism. It’s fact.  Documented fact. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

Oh for fucks sake quit with assigning present days morals and values to lives still entrenched in the Renaissance ages. It wasn't as though anyone held any higher moral ground back then.

The fact is he represented the times where exploitation was rampant withing Europe and abroad. His politics and policies of establishing a trade route was to circumvent trade laws and was empowered to make claims of sny new lands both for the king and his own personal wealth.

He was a lousy administrator and not even a great captain but he had the balls to try what no other did at that time. In the process he did bring a pestilence, unintended, to new world but disease was completely a mystery to all, there was no understanding of germs. His enslavement of the natives was in no way out of character to how Western Civilization treated any occupied territory for centuries before and after.

Celebration of the first establishment of an eastern trade route is appropriate. Establishment of settlements in an unknown land that would take hundredsof years just to map out with the most primative of tools was a giant leap for extending the knowledge of the time.

You've got to just shut out the bullshit around Columbus to grasp what an amazing feat he accomplished, even if at the time he had no clue what he had actually found. His work moved the world forward. And even so he died stripped of title and wealth so there is your stupid revenge for the present day rewritting of history using today's societal mores. 

50 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Oh for fucks sake quit with assigning present days morals and values to lives still entrenched in the Renaissance ages. It wasn't as though anyone held any higher moral ground back then.

The fact is he represented the times where exploitation was rampant withing Europe and abroad. His politics and policies of establishing a trade route was to circumvent trade laws and was empowered to make claims of sny new lands both for the king and his own personal wealth.

He was a lousy administrator and not even a great captain but he had the balls to try what no other did at that time. In the process he did bring a pestilence, unintended, to new world but disease was completely a mystery to all, there was no understanding of germs. His enslavement of the natives was in no way out of character to how Western Civilization treated any occupied territory for centuries before and after.

Celebration of the first establishment of an eastern trade route is appropriate. Establishment of settlements in an unknown land that would take hundredsof years just to map out with the most primative of tools was a giant leap for extending the knowledge of the time.

You've got to just shut out the bullshit around Columbus to grasp what an amazing feat he accomplished, even if at the time he had no clue what he had actually found. His work moved the world forward. And even so he died stripped of title and wealth so there is your stupid revenge for the present day rewritting of history using today's societal mores. 

I’m not assigning present day morals to him.  The guy was the genuine article.  He was regarded terribly in his own time.  His treatment of the natives was shocking even to his contemporaries. He was a despicable human being by any measure.  Lots of shit bags have been part of significant historical events.  They don’t all get white washed like Columbus.  His proper historical significance should be taught.   But that doesn’t mean that he should be celebrated.  

6 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

And he got completely lost.  Dude was trying to get to India.

10 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’m talking about Christopher Columbus.  What I described is an accurate description of the man. He’s not someone that should be celebrated.  He’s not a necessary American icon. 

And yes.  I read lots of history books. 

Honestly, this post is baffling to me.  I’ve been critical of  US foreign policy.  So have you.  I don’t think I’ve ever implied that the US does no good.  And I really don’t understand how you jumped to that from this post on Columbus.  The man was a piece of shit.  That’s not liberal revisionism. It’s fact.  Documented fact. 

My point being there is a lot of blame being put on the U.S. and that somehow we should be responsible for these people because of our actions.  The problem with this is that our actions are not in a vacuum.  Lots of different factors come into play not the least of which is the meddling of other countries and it's own mismanagement.  We get all the blame but never any credit.  

15 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

McDonald's gunman shot dead by customer in Alabama.

The masked gunman entered and starting shooting. A father who was there with his sons shot him dead. 

https://www.theepochtimes.com/mcdonalds-gunman-killed-by-armed-dad-during-alabama-shootout_2702347.html?fbclid=IwAR326mSxsfjzESrap7zAKwbQYvpcHe-xy872BWSQsILlPGE5Rv5HiCbf7Gg

Ok, have to point out a lol in the story.

The masked man entered the restaurant when an employee opened a locked door so that the father and his sons could leave. Operating hours were over but the family had been inside eating.

He said he was preparing burgers when he heard three shots ring out. 

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

My point being there is a lot of blame being put on the U.S. and that somehow we should be responsible for these people because of our actions.  The problem with this is that our actions are not in a vacuum.  Lots of different factors come into play not the least of which is the meddling of other countries and it's own mismanagement.  We get all the blame but never any credit.  

Are we talking about the caravan ? I’ve said that I don’t think the caravan should be allowed to prove itself a successful method of immigration.  I don’t think that the US is responsible for taking in anyone who decides to show up.  I do think that immigration should be possible.  I do think that mostly, immigrants from all backgrounds represent a net positive for the US.  But that doesn’t mean open borders.  All immigration should be legal and transparent.  In my prior post about how US policy has contributed the destabilization of Latin America.  Particularly Central America, I was just pointing out.  I think accurately.  That our policies have cascading effects.  Supposedly we have an immigration problem. Well, I think it’s fair to look at those policies when discussing the topic. 

I’ve never said that the US doesn’t contribute anything positive.  Of course we have, lots of good.   This isn’t a black and white question.  Some policies have positive and negative effects in equal part.  And it’s not always a question of policy.  I would argue that often America’s greatest contributions to humanity haven’t had any relation to any policy at all. 

Edited by UndertheHalo