• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

18 hours ago, Jason said:

I know democrat politicians would like that but I'm actually shocked you believe it.

The supreme court has established that everyone has equal protection under the law, including non-citizens.  Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and property.  The right to due process, the right from illegal search and seizure.  Citizen and non-citizen have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, the right for a jury trial, and can plead the 5th.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

The supreme court has established that everyone has equal protection under the law, including non-citizens.  Everyone has the right to life, liberty, and property.  The right to due process, the right from illegal search and seizure.  Citizen and non-citizen have freedom of speech, freedom of religion, the right for a jury trial, and can plead the 5th.

Did it say they had the right to vote?

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

Did it say they had the right to vote?

Technically the constitution doesn't give anyone the right to vote.  The courts treat voting rights as a privilege, like a driver's license.  Something that can be taken away.  All the constitution says about voting rights is we can't discriminate based on sex/race.

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Technically the constitution doesn't give anyone the right to vote.  The courts treat voting rights as a privilege, like a driver's license.  Something that can be taken away.  All the constitution says about voting rights is we can't discriminate based on sex/race.

So you think anyone who is in this country should be able to vote.  Tourists, felons, expired visas and all?

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

So you think anyone who is in this country should be able to vote.  Tourists, felons, expired visas and all?

I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here.  ;)

Although I am a proponent for another amnesty that will allow undocumented people to come out from the shadows and yes eventually vote.  If they are actually given the chance to prosper I feel the country will prosper with them.

Something to think about.  Most undocumented people do pay taxes.  If they live here, and pay taxes, and aren't convicted felons, shouldn't they get the right to vote?  Or are we suddenly for taxation without representation?  

7 hours ago, Rico said:

I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here.  ;)

Although I am a proponent for another amnesty that will allow undocumented people to come out from the shadows and yes eventually vote.  If they are actually given the chance to prosper I feel the country will prosper with them.

Something to think about.  Most undocumented people do pay taxes.  If they live here, and pay taxes, and aren't convicted felons, shouldn't they get the right to vote?  Or are we suddenly for taxation without representation?  

Nope

17 hours ago, Rico said:

voting is for citizens. let them become citizens and they'll get a whole host of benefits, including the right to vote.

55 minutes ago, Glen said:

Link?

Not saying I'm for this, but I'm too lazy to look it up and I'd like to know if there is something that mentions this in the constitution.

sure thing. here's the 26th amendment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-sixth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

How it's worded matters.  It doesn't state "citizens of the united states eighteen years of age or older have the right to vote"  Instead it states, "The right of [blah blah blah] shall not be denied or abridged."  The constitution doesn't actually give us the right to vote, only prevents the government from discriminating.

Over time the courts have determined that voting is a privilege, not a right.

11 hours ago, gotbeer said:

https://felonvoting.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=000649

It's the right of citizens of the United States.  Mentions it numerous times.

11 hours ago, Tank said:

sure thing. here's the 26th amendment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-sixth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States, who are eighteen years of age or older, to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of age.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

Glen thanks you for doing his homework for him.

14 hours ago, Tank said:

voting is for citizens. let them become citizens and they'll get a whole host of benefits, including the right to vote.

13 hours ago, Glen said:

Link?

Not saying I'm for this, but I'm too lazy to look it up and I'd like to know if there is something that mentions this in the constitution.

Glen, are you asking if voting is explicitly granted as a right to citizens or are you asking if the Constitution explicitly states that non-citizens cannot vote?

44 minutes ago, RallyMo said:

Glen, are you asking if voting is explicitly granted as a right to citizens or are you asking if the Constitution explicitly states that non-citizens cannot vote?

Yes.

Seriously, the latter.