• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

I went on the .gov sites for both Texas and Alabama and according to the sites it should be pretty easy to get what is required to vote and Alabama even offers to issue the ID's for free. So it's actually easier to vote there than it is to get a new license in Mass if you are expired more than a year although I wonder how easy it actually is if you have brown eyes and a name ending with A or Z

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

14 hours ago, Blarg said:

If you can't get in ID in less than two years maybe you shouldn't be voting. 

when she turned 18, my daughter got a CA ID because she doesn't have a CDL yet. took all of about 3 weeks for it to arrive.

i think being able to prove who i am at election time is pretty important.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

why is it difficult for a non-white person to get a state ID? i don't see why it would be.

It has nothing to do with non-white person, or white person specifically.

We seem to think of things in terms of...well, it wouldn't be a problem for me while most of us live in urban/surburban areas where there is a DMV every 10-20 miles...birth certificate process if fairly straightforward and multiple county records offices. Hell, I was able to get mine online ten years ago (and way too easily mind you).

For people who live in rural areas that isn't necessarily the case. They might have to travel 50-100 miles to get a county record, and if you have a full-time 9-5 job M-F, that means you would have to take a day office. Even if you have to go to the DMV in the next town over, not everyone can afford to take half a day off to go wait in line. Or, maybe you were born in a small hospital that didn't keep good records 60-70 years ago. Or you live in Wisconsin, but were born in Fairhope, Alabama 60 years ago. Getting your birth certificate may come with a completely different set of challenges.

And here's the thing...these type of challenges statistically tend to impact poorer & minority voters more than middle class voters.

26 minutes ago, red321 said:

We seem to think of things in terms of...well, it wouldn't be a problem for me while most of us live in urban/surburban areas where there is a DMV every 10-20 miles...birth certificate process if fairly straightforward and multiple county records offices. Hell, I was able to get mine online ten years ago (and way too easily mind you).

For people who live in rural areas that isn't necessarily the case. They might have to travel 50-100 miles to get a county record, and if you have a full-time 9-5 job M-F, that means you would have to take a day office. Even if you have to go to the DMV in the next town over, not everyone can afford to take half a day off to go wait in line. Or, maybe you were born in a small hospital that didn't keep good records 60-70 years ago. Or you live in Wisconsin, but were born in Fairhope, Alabama 60 years ago. Getting your birth certificate may come with a completely different set of challenges.

And here's the thing...these type of challenges statistically tend to impact poorer & minority voters more than middle class voters.

I have a saying for this.  People make time for the things that matter to them.

Regardless, you can do most of this stuff by mail.  I think for those without a fixed address there could be some kind of waiver or what not.  I just don't think it will be that hard.  

28 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

I have a saying for this.  People make time for the things that matter to them.

Regardless, you can do most of this stuff by mail.  I think for those without a fixed address there could be some kind of waiver or what not.  I just don't think it will be that hard.  

People shouldn't have to choose between voting and putting food on their table, and for some people that is the reality.

And I'm not sure you are correct in saying that most of this can be done by mail

1 minute ago, red321 said:

People shouldn't have to choose between voting and putting food on their table, and for some people that is the reality.

And I'm not sure you are correct in saying that most of this can be done by mail

A lot of it can.  Also, I think that your concern is valid but we can fix that.  The biggest problem with a national voter ID law is that each state has its own regulations regarding voting.

I tend to believe it should stay a state issue.  I also think any voter ID law should be attached to another law that streamlines the ability to get an ID.

2 hours ago, red321 said:

i'm sure these conditions exist for far more people than i realize. but like MT said, i believe people find ways to accomplish things that are important for them. 

we had to go through this process to get a copy of my wife's BC a few years ago so she could get her passport. it took some effort, especially since it was in another state, but we did our work online, as much as could be done, then went to the hall of records and were done within half an hour. 

maybe people should talk more about the issue of time and less about the issue of race in this matter. it keeps getting portrayed as an issue of "THE MAN is trying to hold me down" instead of "i can't afford to take time off from work to go take care of this."

but then again, i'm not really sure how someone gets to their adult years without some kind of state ID in the first place. doesn't everyone get their drivers license in their teen years? or is that my white privilege POV?

2 hours ago, red321 said:

So a guy born in Fairhope, AL with a 93% white population moves to Wisconsin with a population of Nate and no In N Outs is going to have problems with getting an ID? 

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i'm sure these conditions exist for far more people than i realize. but like MT said, i believe people find ways to accomplish things that are important for them. 

we had to go through this process to get a copy of my wife's BC a few years ago so she could get her passport. it took some effort, especially since it was in another state, but we did our work online, as much as could be done, then went to the hall of records and were done within half an hour. 

maybe people should talk more about the issue of time and less about the issue of race in this matter. it keeps getting portrayed as an issue of "THE MAN is trying to hold me down" instead of "i can't afford to take time off from work to go take care of this."

but then again, i'm not really sure how someone gets to their adult years without some kind of state ID in the first place. doesn't everyone get their drivers license in their teen years? or is that my white privilege POV?

So, imagine that process you had to go through to get a passport, other people have to go through to exercise their right to vote?

And the reason why the issue is portrayed as the man is trying to hold me down...is because it is being instituted (by Republicans) specifically to target low income and minority voters (who tend to vote Democrat), people who this issue tends to impact more. Look at the states that have gone and implemented these laws recently, you will find a lot of similarities (and in some cases they copied and pasted a good portion of the law from ALEC, a conservative state legislature consulting group...Scott Pruitt is a good friend of theirs).

Not everyone gets a driver's license, what about older people who decide not to drive later in life so they don't get it renewed? What if you lost your ID? In some states they allow you to use a gun permit, or hunting license...but you can't use a College ID. So, a student who has moved to another state to go to college has to identify how to get a state issued ID to register to vote in that state if they choose to do so. (see North Carolina, I think that is something they pushed out).

11 hours ago, red321 said:

So, imagine that process you had to go through to get a passport, other people have to go through to exercise their right to vote?

A new assist came out to the house to deliver a drive a few days back and we we're talking about his plans for working in the industry. He wants to work in production so I asked if he had a passport. He replied no, so I told him he was of no use to our company in production because they travel abroad. Today he shows up and I ask if he applied for a passport and he said yes, he went online, downloaded all the paperwork and just needs to drop it off and sign docs. Easy, he said. He's from Boston the last three years and previously grew up in Colorado. 

Red, you are banging a broken drum here, getting an ID is not difficult. It is not a race problem, there are plenty of poor ass white people that get IDs daily. It's just a step to take in order to participate equally in the Democratic process, insuring no one can cheat the system. If you can't take that couple hours out of your year, just once, to get an ID then you are not responsible enough to vote. 

21 minutes ago, Glen said:

Hey Blarg, remember when you said republicans wouldn't work with Trump?  I put your statement about getting an ID in the same vein. You're talking out of your ass again. 

Don't you have to have an ID to get work?  Each employee I hire has to have ID or Passport.

24 minutes ago, Glen said:

Do you have to work to be able to vote?

Well if you aren't working you sure and hell have enough time to spend in getting an id.  And one of the biggest complaints I've heard is that folks can't take time off of work to do the work needed to get that id.