• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Spin Forum Dumping Bin

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Taylor

• St1ck

• Amazing Larry

think we need to be ensuring there is a paper record if each vote

Widespread voter fraud via voter impersonation isn’t very credible. You’d have to have hundreds, if not thousands of people running from location to location to have an impact except in the closest of races. Not sure anyone has ever reported actual widespread voter impersonation fraud in modern times, the clown in office notwithstanding  

i think a bigger risk is electronic manipulation, hence the need for a paper trail. Vote electronically, review printed copy, submit vote. 

13 minutes ago, red321 said:

think we need to be ensuring there is a paper record if each vote

Widespread voter fraud via voter impersonation isn’t very credible. You’d have to have hundreds, if not thousands of people running from location to location to have an impact except in the closest of races. Not sure anyone has ever reported actual widespread voter impersonation fraud in modern times, the clown in office notwithstanding  

i think a bigger risk is electronic manipulation, hence the need for a paper trail. Vote electronically, review printed copy, submit vote. 

I think 2016 changed the landscape for this. I think we have to be far more cautious regarding the integrity of elections going forward. Not panic and make bad choices but move steadily towards this goal. I can't imagine we want a scenario where there is a clear association between the voter and their voting choices. Long term I imagine perhaps a hash being created at the booth that can be decrypted with a unique identifier known by or associated to the voter that cannot be reverse engineered. So if there is question about the integrity of the results, individuals can verify that their choices were correctly recorded and not altered.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

I’m confused on what a restrictive voter ID law is. Is it difficult to get an ID in most states?

Step 1: Create voter ID laws.
Step 2: Make it extremely inconvenient and difficult for residents in African-American counties to obtain IDs by closing down DMV offices in those counties. 
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit (for Republicans)

It would be like California passing strict voter ID laws (LOL) and then closing all of the DMV offices in the High Desert and Inland Empire, so that you had to drive to OC or LA to go to the DMV.

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Step 2: Make it extremely inconvenient and difficult for residents in African-American counties to obtain IDs by closing down DMV offices in those counties. 

It would be like California passing strict voter ID laws (LOL) and then closing all of the DMV offices in the High Desert and Inland Empire, so that you had to drive to OC or LA to go to the DMV.

In all seriousness, which states are doing this (closing a lot of offices)?

7 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Hey they gotta fund the Fresno to Bakersfield bullet train somehow.

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't know, but it has been documented in Alabama. 

The article I posted above stated that they tried to close a bunch of offices but that decision was reversed a month later. Getting a basic ID doesn't seem complicated to me. I don't have an issue being required to show an ID to vote. 

1 hour ago, Thomas said:

I think 2016 changed the landscape for this. I think we have to be far more cautious regarding the integrity of elections going forward. Not panic and make bad choices but move steadily towards this goal. I can't imagine we want a scenario where there is a clear association between the voter and their voting choices. Long term I imagine perhaps a hash being created at the booth that can be decrypted with a unique identifier known by or associated to the voter that cannot be reverse engineered. So if there is question about the integrity of the results, individuals can verify that their choices were correctly recorded and not altered.

I wasn’t referring to putting the voter name on the submitted ballot, more so just ensuring there were paper ballots, validated by voter, for recount purposes. Could also be used for spot checks for ballot integrity. 

Hashtag is interesting idea as well. It is scary how outdated our voting processes are, we should be spending money to bring it up to modern day technology levels. 

3 hours ago, calscuf said:

If we can't do away with the EC, then minorities and homosexuals should move out to rural areas to even out the voting field.  Then everyone will be happy.

we don't really like this idea.

signed,

wyoming and the dakotas

On 12/12/2017 at 11:27 AM, nate said:

In Republican controlled states (Republican governors and congress) they gerrymander and come up with restrictive voter ID laws that significantly favor their voters.

Or are you new to this whole process?

Democrats do the same thing. There is no difference between the two when it comes to fixing everything they can to win an election - whether it's for the presidency or local school board.

The fact that you truly believe the dems are above it all shows everyone just who is new to this  whole process. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Democrats do the same thing. There is no difference between the two when it comes to fixing everything they can to win an election - whether it's for the presidency or local school board.

The fact that you truly believe the dems are above it all shows everyone just who is new to this  whole process. 

Democrats do the same thing by making sure everyone who is eligible to vote can vote?  How awful!  Notice there are no lawsuits against Democrats right now regarding gerrymandering or voter suppression.

The process of getting an ID isn't always as simple as you might think. A few years ago when I returned from overseas my license had expired for more than one year. The state of Massachusetts wouldn't accept just my perfectly valid US passport. I had to produce a birth certificate with seal, a SS card, and proof of address. There are going to be people, for any number of circumstances, who can't provide all of this

7 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

The process of getting an ID isn't always as simple as you might think. A few years ago when I returned from overseas my license had expired for more than one year. The state of Massachusetts wouldn't accept just my perfectly valid US passport. I had to produce a birth certificate with seal, a SS card, and proof of address. There are going to be people, for any number of circumstances, who can't provide all of this

You must be a Democrat.

13 hours ago, nate said:

You missed it where after they passed the voter ID law they closed the ID card offices in all counties with a >75% black population which makes it almost impossible for low income people without a car to get an ID card.

The law was passed in 2011 and went into affect in 2014. DMV closures didn't take place until September of 2015. 

https://www.snopes.com/2015/10/01/alabama-drivers-license/

Alabama requires every voter to have a valid photo ID to cast a ballot. While a driver’s license is the most common form of ID in the state, Bentley said anyone without a driver’s license can go to any county register’s office and have a photo ID made and the closing of the DMV offices will not change that fact.

Bentley also pointed out that every probate judge in the state has the authority to renew driver’s licenses and the closing of the DMV offices will not change that fact.

Bentley said not only is the state not engaged in any effort to curtail voting, it is doing all it can to make sure anyone who wants to vote will be able to register to vote.

“We will go to people’s houses to have their picture made if they don’t have a photo ID in the state of Alabama,” said Bentley. “We’re not ever going to do anything to keep people in the state of Alabama from voting. And for them to jump to a conclusion like that, that is politics at its worst.”

11 hours ago, Taylor said:

1 Create a lie about voter ID laws

2 Perpetuate that lie until your candidate is elected

3 screw over the populace that believed your lie would put the right person in office

8 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The law was passed in 2011 and went into affect in 2014. DMV closures didn't take place until September of 2015. 

https://www.snopes.com/2015/10/01/alabama-drivers-license/

Alabama requires every voter to have a valid photo ID to cast a ballot. While a driver’s license is the most common form of ID in the state, Bentley said anyone without a driver’s license can go to any county register’s office and have a photo ID made and the closing of the DMV offices will not change that fact.

Bentley also pointed out that every probate judge in the state has the authority to renew driver’s licenses and the closing of the DMV offices will not change that fact.

Bentley said not only is the state not engaged in any effort to curtail voting, it is doing all it can to make sure anyone who wants to vote will be able to register to vote.

“We will go to people’s houses to have their picture made if they don’t have a photo ID in the state of Alabama,” said Bentley. “We’re not ever going to do anything to keep people in the state of Alabama from voting. And for them to jump to a conclusion like that, that is politics at its worst.”

No mention of what will be required to get the original ID done?