• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

22-23 since Jerry quit.

Ohtaniland

So it wasn't Scioscia's. I guess JD thought he would do a Brad Pitt move like the movie "MONEYBALL"

Here's something else I'll add to this conversation, without going into a bunch of details.

I spoke to a person close to the team when I was down in California a week ago and when I asked about Dipoto and how that all went down, the answer I got was basically this.

Dipoto uncharacteristically stormed into the Angels clubhouse, yelled and blasted the players and coaching staff, mostly the players. I can't get into the details, but because Dipoto was not backed by his actions & words and because he pissed the players off and he felt bad about the way he acted, he decided it was in his best interest to resign. Dipoto was frustrated by a lot of things, but one of them was mostly the lack of production on the field.

One thing I will say about Dipoto is the man really wanted to win and he looked at the players in the clubhouse as his responsibility, not Scioscia's, not Arte's. He had a passion for this org and the team's success. He let it get to him one day. There's other things too, like the Josh thing, but mostly due to the fact that he didn't have the players respect or ear.

We need to sign Jerry to a one day contract to yell at the players again. It worked last time.

Facts sure get twisted, don't they?  I need a link to where it was reported that Jerry's tenure ended after he raised his voice to the players.  What was reported was that the meeting with the players was uneventful.

Exerpt from the Article by Greg Beachman, The Associated Press, as published in the Orange County Register, 7/1/15:

“I didn’t even know there was any tension at all,” Santiago said. “I didn’t know the past, what happened years ago. We had our meeting the other day, but it wasn’t anything intense. Definitely didn’t see this coming from that meeting. Unexpected, for sure, there’s no doubt about it. ... I didn’t see anything in that meeting leading to this.”

Edited by tomsred

It sucks that Jerry got fired. This organization is in shambles now

Here you go, don't let any facts clutter up your brain though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/02/sports/angels-gm-jerry-dipoto-quits-after-rift-with-mike-scioscia-widens.html?_r=0

Or perhaps you don't believe the New York Times is a credible newspaper.

Edited by tomsred

Facts sure get twisted, don't they?  I need a link to where it was reported that Jerry's tenure ended after he raised his voice to the players.  What was reported was that the meeting with the players was uneventful.

Exerpt from the Article by Greg Beachman, The Associated Press, as published in the Orange County Register, 7/1/15:

“I didn’t even know there was any tension at all,” Santiago said. “I didn’t know the past, what happened years ago. We had our meeting the other day, but it wasn’t anything intense. Definitely didn’t see this coming from that meeting. Unexpected, for sure, there’s no doubt about it. ... I didn’t see anything in that meeting leading to this.”

Yeah, I know. Players always tell the truth to the media.

The only "fact" we have is, that the Angels offense took off right after Dipoto's resignation, but it was short lived.

Nobody here knows what really happened. We just have assumptions, and while we don't don't like to admit it, they're mostly based on our premise of, if you like Scioscia(Dipoto) or not, and etc.

You're a MS guy, and I'm more of a Dipoto guy. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Not everything chuck has said has turned out to be true. Unless he was talking to dipoto directly which I highly doubt this is just someone else's perspective and Dipoto himself may very well have a far different perspective. Stating this as fact is presumptuous.

yeah, very true. But chuck does have sources..a few on here do. And suprisingly enough the sources are sometimes better than the papers.

Not saying chucks version is true, but there really isnt much more out there (that weve heard) about what all went down. Maybe the whole story isnt included in chucks post, but it doesnt seem too far fetched

Yeah, I know. Players always tell the truth to the media.

The only "fact" we have is, that the Angels offense took off right after Dipoto's resignation, but it was short lived.

Nobody here knows what really happened. We just have assumptions, and while we don't don't like to admit it, they're mostly based on our premise of, if you like Scioscia(Dipoto) or not, and etc.

You're a MS guy, and I'm more of a Dipoto guy. And there's nothing wrong with that.

No there's nothing wrong with that.  Really there's a lot I liked about Dipoto, and I don't like everything about MS.  I am somewhat shaded in MS's favor, but I think his run is about done here.  It should be an interesting off season, just about anything can happen.

More than anything I would like it to all go routine, the dust get settled, and get on with a plan, any plan.  I'd just like to see the Angels win one more World Series before it no longer matters to me.  We are all passionate here with our opinions, likes and dislikes, but really it's a fun topic to discuss.  And mostly I like joking about it, and finding things to laugh about.  There are too few of those opportunities in life. 

If DiPo just would have gone all Brad Pitt....and I mean like this...He'd still have a job, and the Halos wouldn't be in the skid they're in.

That's what losing sounds like...

Do you really believe it happened just like this, or do you think this is Hollywood drama?  There is a lot in the movie that is mis-leading or has questionable facts, and I've read the book which also has differences from what is in the movie.  I like the book far better than the movie, but it has more space to elaborate on details.  They are both good entertainment though.  A lot of GM's scoffed at the movie and book at the time of their release, because it makes it sound like Billy Bean was the only one breaking ground when it came to sabermetrics, and that just wasn't true.

Edited by tomsred

Do you really believe it happened just like this, or do you think this is Hollywood drama?  There is a lot in the movie that is mis-leading or has questionable facts, and I've read the book which also has differences from what is in the movie.  I like the book far better than the movie, but it has more space to elaborate on details.  They are both good entertainment though.  A lot of GM's scoffed at the movie and book at the time of their release, because it makes it sound like Billy Bean was the only one breaking ground when it came to sabermetrics, and that just wasn't true.

I've also heard that Billy Beane is far more of an asshole in real life than portrayed in Moneyball, and that field manager Mike Howe got unfairly thrown under the bus by both.

Your right. I d I by view the NY Times as a credible newspaper. Especially when the reporter is giving his views.

Here you go, don't let any facts clutter up your brain though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/02/sports/angels-gm-jerry-dipoto-quits-after-rift-with-mike-scioscia-widens.html?_r=0

Or perhaps you don't believe the New York Times is a credible newspaper.

Not everything chuck has said has turned out to be true. Unless he was talking to dipoto directly which I highly doubt this is just someone else's perspective and Dipoto himself may very well have a far different perspective. Stating this as fact is presumptuous.

Chuck has Dipoto's email and had many conversations with him along with several other members of the Angels brass both before and after Dipoto's resignation.

How do you think we got Dipoto to speak at the Spring Training fanfest, get the Scouting Director to live chat before the draft or get Tim Mead to speak at both Spring and mid season Fanfest? Angelswin website become the first to get press credentials that granted them access to the team the same as any other sports media outlet. We have press credentials for all of the minor league venues as well. These are all personal relatioships he has built through trust and friendships.

Chuck is not fabricating anything.

Trade rumors are typically not from the Angels org that I've reported, they're usually from other sources in the media, minor leaguers or their parents, friends of mine who know people in the org, etc.. Yes, I have reported some that haven't happened and some that have over the years. When a deal is being talked about it doesn't always go through, but there are certain things that happen when a player is involved in a trade that I've heard over the years as potentially being a start of a trade or in the process of an exchange of players, or possible signing. 

Found this from todays MLBTR chat:

Comment From Angels fan
Why is mike scioscia still managing the Angels? He doesn't put out the best lineup. I don't care if a lefty is on the mound, Murphy shouldn't be sitting.
2:48

Steve Adams: 
Murphy's a career .257/.305/.350 hitter against lefties -- not sure why Scioscia should feel compelled to start him vs. LHP. That said, I agree that Scioscia is a questionable manager at this point, but Moreno loves him. I'd have backed Dipoto in that feud though.

Found this from todays MLBTR chat:

Comment From Angels fan
Why is mike scioscia still managing the Angels? He doesn't put out the best lineup. I don't care if a lefty is on the mound, Murphy shouldn't be sitting.
2:48

Steve Adams: 
Murphy's a career .257/.305/.350 hitter against lefties -- not sure why Scioscia should feel compelled to start him vs. LHP. That said, I agree that Scioscia is a questionable manager at this point, but Moreno loves him. I'd have backed Dipoto in that feud though.

I guess you disagree with those who say Scioscia is an idiot for platooning Cron with Murphy since Cron  has been hot since being called up?

So is he an idiot for sitting Cron?  or Murphy?

I guess as many have suggested Murphy in Left..