• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

blowpen

stormngt

Again, trying to figure out what's so exciting about Cespedes.  In 2000 lifetime AB's, he's put up a .270 .317 OBP .790 OPS...decent pop but the dudes an out machine.  I think I read somewhere that he went an entire month without taking a walk.  If he repeated that performance here, peeps would be losing their minds.  Add to the fact that he'll be 30 next season and this is another contract that has disaster written all over it.

I get taking a chance on someone like Heyward...young next season (26), elite defender, solid OBP.  This is type of guy you sign for some vet presence yet won't have to worry about a steep decline in year 5 or 6.

Even someone like Gordon from KC if he opt out...he's older but, if he can be had reasonably, he's a solid hitter and defender who can play multiple positions.

Here is where the Cespedes hype comes from...

Career with:

men on base:  .290/.338/.834

RISP:  .308/.368/.885

2-outs, RISP: .294/.354/.838

tie game: .296/.346/.881

high leverage: .313/.361/.883

Dude is and always has been a clutch machine.  We are talking about the guy that left the #1 offense in baseball at the time and it instantly fell apart.  He has been good for about 4.0 WAR, 20 HR, 100 RBI, and 30 doubles per season.  This year he has already amassed 4.2 WAR, 18 HR, 65 RBI, and 31 doubles.  I mean everyone ignores Giavotella's mediocre bat because he seems to always come through when it matters.  That is what Cespedes does, but with more power and he has done it for years and with hundreds of AB's in those situations.  Not to mention Cespedes plays above average defense with a rocket arm.  

Edited by AngelsFanSince86

He does, but I think that has more to do with the fact he just hasn't done well against the Angels.  His splits at Angel stadium are actually a little bit better than his overall splits against the Angels.  So for whatever reason he hasn't done well against the Angels, but I don't think it has anything to do with the stadium.  He played well in Oakland in a pitchers park and has played within the division so it wouldn't take much getting used to.  

I'd take Heyward any day over Cespedes. You want a leadoff hitter for the next 5-6 years? There you go.

I like Cespedes, but something tells me he is going to get a much larger contract than Heyward, despite being a similar offensive player and 4 years older.

Not to mention the defensive value. Cespedes is no slouch on defense, but Heyward would immediately be the best defensive outfielder on the team and that's with two great defensive outfielders already.

heyward has had a very nice bbounceback season at the plate, after last year being pretty mediocre.  he's basically been on fire since june 1st after starting slow.  he's a second half player for sure, but that's definitely not a bad thing.

I agree with dawg, I don't think he'll get a massive contract because he doesn't have the "sexy" stats.  He probably won't hit 25+ homeruns again, but dude gets on base and he has very underrated speed.  Not to mention the defense and age.

I don't think arte will drop dough on him because he doesn't hit homers and he's not a "brand name" but I'm sure teams will be looking to lock him up.  Including the cardinals

Heyward is going to get big money.  

Going into his age 26 season he's gonna get an 9 or 10 year deal.  He's a decent corner OF bat who gets a big chunk of his value from his defense.  Someone is going to pay him for something he's yet to accomplish and may never.  I think he's gonna get more than Carl Crawford.  Somewhere in the range of $160mil minimum and it could explode past that depending on who gets involved.  He's top 15 WAR for the last 6 years and you are going to get his prime years.  He might get 200mil.   I liken him to a younger version of Choo.  

Cespedes will be entering his 30 yo season.  Solid all around player.  Borderline star.  He'll probably get 6 or 7 years.  Somewhere in the 120mil range.  

Personally, still FA gun shy after seeing what has become of most players lately.

Here are the 100mil FA contracts since 2010.  

Pujols, Cano, Fielder, Reyes, Werth, Crawford, Cliff Lee, Hamilton, Greinke, Ellisbury, Choo, Tanaka, Lester and Scherzer.  By and large, those contracts suck balls.  At best you get the value of the deal.  

Pujols, Cano, Fielder, Reyes, Werth, Crawford, Cliff Lee, Hamilton, Greinke, Ellisbury, Choo, Tanaka, Lester and Scherzer.  By and large, those contracts suck balls.  At best you get the value of the deal.  

Two of these are too early to tell. Of the others only one of these deals does not suck ass. Oh wait, the person I'm thinking of has a clause allowing him to void his contract after this season. Oops.

I think Cespedes is valuable just because he wont cost us a draft pick.  We're still trying to rebuild the farm right ?  He'll get over paid, but he's at worse a lot better option then we have now.  Over paying is the price of admission in FA in general.  We all complain about the Stoneman garbage dive, you cant have it both ways.  Over pay for a probably average guy or be patient until we finally strike gold on some value guy...who will likely be average but for less.  Its just the way it is.  The way FA is structured is that in general guys hit FA past their primes.  I hope we can sign Heyward, i'd prefer him over Cespedes by a little bit.  But if we get Cespedes, im not complaining.  Anyway, this is all blind speculation theres a great chance they wont sign anyone.

Edited by UndertheHalo

Heyward is going to get big money.  

Going into his age 26 season he's gonna get an 9 or 10 year deal.  He's a decent corner OF bat who gets a big chunk of his value from his defense.  Someone is going to pay him for something he's yet to accomplish and may never.  I think he's gonna get more than Carl Crawford.  Somewhere in the range of $160mil minimum and it could explode past that depending on who gets involved.  He's top 15 WAR for the last 6 years and you are going to get his prime years.  He might get 200mil.   I liken him to a younger version of Choo.  

Cespedes will be entering his 30 yo season.  Solid all around player.  Borderline star.  He'll probably get 6 or 7 years.  Somewhere in the 120mil range.  

Personally, still FA gun shy after seeing what has become of most players lately.

No way does Heyward get that much. I could see him getting 8, maybe 9 years on a deal but I would be absolutely shocked if he gets more than 160 million. I'm thinking something like 8/144, and even that is a bit of a stretch.