• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Let's have realistic expectations

Your final paragraph didn't make it seem as if you expect anything from them.

Because I said we shouldn't expect them to light it up?

I also don't think many of us expect any of those guys to come in and kick ass, so I would say our expectations are tempered.

We're expecting an improvement on what we ran out to play LF this year

Which is pretty much exactly what I said, so we agree.

Platoons work, not sure what else your bench is for.

Platoons don't always work, and they are a worse option than just having someone who doesn't suck against half the league's pitchers. Or guys who have more position flexibility. I get that the Angels are better, but to reiterate AJ's point that's mostly a reflection of how bad Joyce is, which is a problem that could have been solved a myriad of ways.

I pretty much think AJ's assessment here is spot on....that said, I'm happy with what we did. We are better then we're were a few days ago and we still have our pitching depth. That said, I would like to see us pursue A more regular LF in the offseason. I like Cespedes personally. 2b and 3b are also positions that need to be addressed.

My point was that aj made it seem as if the "bad" players will remain bad . So what should we do? Get a guy having a good year!

But wait. He'll just regress.

Can't win either way.

You seem hell-bent on disagreeing with me. Work that out, buddy.

Again, to make it more simple:

1. The Angels traded for three older players, giving up very little

2. All three are on the down-side of their careers, so expectations should be tempered

3. All three players are better than Matt Joyce

4. The trades improve this team

You seem to be taking issue with point 2 and ignoring that I said 1, 3, and 4.

Speaking of expectations...

Can there be a worse defensive first baseman than CJ Cron?

We've already seen his rock glove...but how about that genius cut off and Tee Ball-like throw? His brain forgot about the runner after Conger...and that shot put was embarrassing.

Please...please...no more Cron at 1B....

David Ortiz?

Platoons don't always work, and they are a worse option than just having someone who doesn't suck against half the league's pitchers. Or guys who have more position flexibility. I get that the Angels are better, but to reiterate AJ's point that's mostly a reflection of how bad Joyce is, which is a problem that could have been solved a myriad of ways.

If those guys put up the numbers they have in a platoon situation then it won't just be better than Joyce it would be much better than league average.

These were good trades simply because we gave up virtually nothing, we're not spending loads of money on these guys for long term deals, and they can realistically produce better than the glorified MiLB guys we had on our bench previously to replace Joyce.

Can't wait to see us sign Cespedes this off-season after a WS win.

All I know is yesterday Victorino laid down the best bunt I've seen by an Angels player in like 10 years.  Having a player who can do the little things like that is huge.  Power is unreliable and won't help you manufacture runs against great pitching.  They don't need to hit .300/.370/.850 to help.  Just not having a blackhole in the lineup is a significant improvement and should make the lineup solid enough for the playoffs.  Angels are 11th in MLB in runs scored despite being around 18-20 most of the year until late June.  They have been tops in runs scored in July and that is a largely in part to players finally hitting how they should and so although some regression is likely, they should remain a top 10 offense from here on out.  The new additions will help insure that.  What is really important is getting another bullpen arm. Being able to shorten games is huge in October.  I think adding a solid arm in a addition to what they already got will be more effective then a power bat or leadoff guy would have been.  Especially considering there was no guarantee those players would come through for us or sign in the offseason.  This way they get what they need on the cheap and then still have the chance to grab whatever FA they want in the offseason.  And also will have a more enticing team to FA's because they won't have traded away all their young arms.

You seem hell-bent on disagreeing with me. Work that out, buddy.

Again, to make it more simple:

1. The Angels traded for three older players, giving up very little

2. All three are on the down-side of their careers, so expectations should be tempered

3. All three players are better than Matt Joyce

4. The trades improve this team

You seem to be taking issue with point 2 and ignoring that I said 1, 3, and 4.

and you are completely missing my point

time to move on