• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Who do you want for GM?

There are 3 different GM's that I'd fully support for different reasons.

1. Scott Servais - He scouts even better than Scioscia and is aggressive. He'd also not let Scioscia get away with anything. Those two are mortal freakin' enemies. I'm pretty sure they'd need to be separated on a nightly basis. But this team kind of needs that opposition to grow. Plus he'd be able to keep the minor league system in tact. Servais has done an amazing job structuring this organization's farm.

2. Matt Klentak - You won't find a smarter individual ready to take over the reigns. He's the exact opposite of Scioscia and gets along slightly better than Dipoto did. He knows the Angels and would be capable of ushering in a new future. Plus he'd keep the Dipoto staff largely in tact.

3. Bud Black - if you're going to go full on Scioscia power, you might as well go with the guy who he is close friends with. Reason being, Scioscia will actually listen to Bud Black, where he wouldn't others. Bud Black would give the Angels something they haven't had before. A great manager-GM relationship where neither is a pawn/puppet.

If I had a vote, I'd go Bud Black all the way. He has front office experience and belongs in this organization.

Sevais or Klentak.  Hired with clear expectations about lines of authority with Scioscia.  Hired with authority to put their own manager/coaches in when Scioscia is replaced.  Ride out any last bursts of team greatness with Scioscia but don't hesitate to dump him if things do dumpy and flat.  If he opts out oh well...

Keep it in house and go with either Klentak or Servais. If we hire an outside guy we have to go through that whole transition of minor leagues and everything. Keep what Dipoto had planned in place, get rid of scioscia in the offseason and it will be not too bad of a transition.

Edited by AngelintheTroutfield

Keep it in house and go with either Klentak or Servais. If we hire an outside guy we have to go through that whole transition of minor leagues and everything. Keep what Dipoto had planned in place, get rid of scioscia in the offseason and it will be not too bad of a transition.

There's no guarantee that if it is Servais or Kelntak that the current regime will remain in place.  Jerry Dipoto is going to be VERY sought after.  Some team is going to hire him as GM this winter, as soon as the season ends.  Once that happens, he's going to come back offering jobs to everyone he had with him in the Angels system. 

Whether we like it or not, there's a good chance that the minute Dipoto walked out that door, he gutted the front office and minor league system with it. 

Scioscia has won the war, and he has a guaranteed contract. I don't see him going anywhere unless the Dodgers job opens up, and I don't see that happening.

What Dipoto had planned went out the door with him. It has been made eminently clear that what Scioscia says goes, regardless of how ill thought out or senseless it is. Welcome to the 1960s, boys. Might as well bring back Jeff Mathis, Bobby Abreu, Vernon Wells and Raul Ibanez. Might as well bring back Mickey Hatcher too while we're at it, since Scioscia is obviously still obsessed with him. We need to fill the staff with coaches who are personal friends but who don't actually teach anything useful.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

Jerry Dipoto is going to be VERY sought after.  Some team is going to hire him as GM this winter, as soon as the season ends.  Once that happens, he's going to come back offering jobs to everyone he had with him in the Angels system. 

Whether we like it or not, there's a good chance that the minute Dipoto walked out that door, he gutted the front office and minor league system with it. 

Is that even possible for him to do without Arte giving him the okay?   He had a contract that went through next season, he resigned.   Isn't he restricted from taking the same position with another team?   I've asked this before when someone else made a similar comment but, if he can just go sign on with someone else to be their GM, then what would keep guys from constantly quitting when a better opportunity arises?  

Because of the possibility a GM can do exactly what you are talking about (and damage his previous team), I'm willing to bet he's in limbo for the next 18 months.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Is that even possible for him to do without Arte giving him the okay?   He had a contract that went through next season, he resigned.   Isn't he restricted from taking the same position with another team?   I've asked this before when someone else made a similar comment but, if he can just go sign on with someone else to be their GM, then what would keep guys from constantly quitting when a better opportunity arises?  

Because of the possibly a GM can do exactly what you are talking about (and damage his previous team), I'm willing to bet he's in limbo for the next 18 months.

There was an article that came out, I think from the OCR stating that Dipoto and Moreno already agreed on a specific settlement package, buying out next year's option at a fraction of the price.  This would indicate that he is no longer under contract from the Angels and may sign with any team he chooses.  

I think we'll see him in charge of the Phillies next season.