• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

SCOTUS: Same Sex Marriage Legal Nationwide

I'm not trying to be rude or dismissive but this kind of discussion requires time, effort and availability.  I just don't have much of those.

What I can do, maybe later tonight, is research a couple of articles or books that might be helpful.

I don't believe gays should be put to death any more than false prophets, men and women involved in adultery or disobedient children (although once in a while with my own kids I might fantasize).

God created Israel for a special purpose and He related to them and made laws for them and them alone so they would be completely different from the nations around them.

OK, fair enough. I appreciate you sticking with this. It sounds like you are saying that Biblical law applies differently to the people of Israel and presumably Christians than it does to non-believers, no?

LOL, btw - I hear you about disobedient children.

How about just consenting adults?  Why does there have to be a number attached to it?

Serious question, by the way.  What's the legal issue with people (men or women) wanting to have multiple partners/spouses?  The government should stay out of it.

maybe they're just like my father.

he's never satisfied.

Please reply to my question about Leviticus. What do you think MT? You just said that you cannot pick and choose what is true from the Bible, so does that mean that homosexuals should be put to death?

the short answer is that things in leviticus and deuteronomy were part of the law given to moses to govern israel at that particular time. the mosaic law ended with the crucifixion of Jesus.

the short answer is that things in leviticus and deuteronomy were part of the law given to moses to govern israel at that particular time. the mosaic law ended with the crucifixion of Jesus.

OK, that helps clarify things. So maybe God was more of a jerk before Jesus came along ;)

OK, that helps clarify things. So maybe God was more of a jerk before Jesus came along ;)

Not really, He was showing Israel (and the world through Israel) that His law based on His nature cannot be followed, by anyone.  Hence setting the stage for His Son to come make a way through grace, that nobody can boast that their actions or their behavior got them to God.

Just for giggles, go to FOX News Facebook page. WOW! The cons are really sh!tting the bed over this one. You can't buy this type of entertainment.

Went to FOX News Facebook page after the ruling. OMG! They are sh!tting the bed over there. You can't buy this type of entertainment. Pass the popcorn.

are you for real?

Someone is trying really hard to participate.

Reminds Me of those moments when you think you have a really good joke and you tell it during a conversation with multiple people but no one responds. You think "did they hear me? That's funny! Maybe I should say it again." So you do, and one dude is like "we heard you the first time."

Then you pound the rest of your beer and make an excuse to leave the conversation.

If leviticus and deuteronomy are dismissed as being of the times then why haven't there been any major updates since then? I know this question will come off as dickish, but I genuinely wonder about it.

This is from the Dalai Lama, obviously not Christian but I wish this is what all religions taught.  I think we would have a lot less conflict and animosity.

The very purpose of religion is to control yourself, not to criticize others. Rather, we must criticize ourselves. How much am I doing about my anger? About my attachment, about my hatred, about my pride, my jealousy? These are the things which we must check in daily life.
Edited by nate

This is from the Dalai Lama, obviously not Christian but I wish this is what all religions taught.  I think we would have a lot less conflict and animosity.

Hmm... I think agree with the second part obviously, but the problem with religion and why it is inherently bad and fallible is because of the first part of his statement. 

OK, fair enough. I appreciate you sticking with this. It sounds like you are saying that Biblical law applies differently to the people of Israel and presumably Christians than it does to non-believers, no?

LOL, btw - I hear you about disobedient children.

I think using a source for decisions is OK IF BOTH PARTIES AGREE ON THE SOURCE. Opposing lawyers in a courtroom believe in the law. Supreme Courth justices are supposed to believe in the constitution. Do people arguing for same sex marriage really care what the Bible thinks? 

That being said, let me tell you the correct, most rational explanation, to me. 

There's a natural law that applies to humanity. You don't have to even be specifically taught these things to know they're right. It's called the Natural Law and is pretty much the 10 commandments which all fall into three categories (off the top of my head. I didn't read this officially)- don't harm people, acknowledge your origins, and be honest. 

The dietary laws are laws for a specific time and place. More specific laws are practical applications of the Natural Law. So, it says that parents can kill unruly children, but the principle is for children to appreciate their parents and understand their role. The punishment is either an exaggeration to express importance or the fact that people in a precarious existence have less room for error and discord. 

I asked this question before, you may have not noticed it.  But do conservatives not fear overpopulation?  

I don't think there's an official position, but there are two issues here: One is if there really a problem and the second is values. 

Problem:

1. People have always feared over-population and we've always come away OK. If not, then the population will decline. 

2. The problem in most places in the world is underpopulation. It's causing havoc in Europe and Japan and will soon cripple China. 

Values: 

1. THIS IS NOT AN INSULT! The secular world often finds the cause of problems as too many of the wrong people. If these people didn't exist, there wouldn't be any problems. Abortion, as Justice Ginsberg stated, has decreased crime. Contraception and abortion solve poverty. The Euthanasia movement solves problems with birth defects, depression, and medical expenses (Logan's Run. Good movie) in Europe now, but I don't see why it can't solve problems in a Godless US.

2. Religious people see things differently and are more willing to put up with inconveniences like Down's Syndrome, unwanted children, and other defectives.

So, while theoretically, overpopulation can be a problem, it's probably not and the things required to fix the problem aren't worth it.   

Yes and no. There are different degrees of literalism within the monotheistic (Abrahamic) religions. Compare Islam and Sufism, or Southern Baptist Christianity and someone like Matthew Fox. Or even look at the Pope.

But the thing is, most Christians DO ignore parts of the text - otherwise people would stoned, homosexuals killed, etc. I mean, what do you think of Leviticus? The famous phrase:

If there is a man who lies with his daughter-in-law, both of them shall surely be put to death; they have committed incest, their bloodguiltiness is upon them. If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them. If there is a man who marries a woman and her mother, it is immorality; both he and they shall be burned with fire, so that there will be no immorality in your midst.…

Do you believe in ths, that homosexuals--or a least gay men!--should be put to death? What is your take on this passage?

Maybe faith isn't about rigidly adhering to scriptures or doctrine or 3,000+ year old doctrines that were written by Middle Eastern tribal people, but connecting with the "light within" - however we conceive of that, be it Christ, Buddha, love, etc.

There's the principle and the punishment. People can agree that cheating in school is bad, but people can differ in how to deal with it. I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that these are not new questions and Jews have been thinking about this for thousands of years. 

Edited by Juan Savage

If leviticus and deuteronomy are dismissed as being of the times then why haven't there been any major updates since then? I know this question will come off as dickish, but I genuinely wonder about it.

Principle versus punishment. Natural law versus practical application of principles. 

Don't think of homosexuality as bad because it says so in the Bible. Think about why homosexuality doesn't make sense to society. You're taking somebody's effort and emotion and channeling in an unproductive way. 

"I don't care."

Well, then you don't care. Others do. I'm answering myself to speed the process along. If your answer can't be boiled down to "I don't care," then go ahead an continue.