• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Since Matt Adams is out for 4 months

well, I know there's a lot of talk about the Pujols contract and his performance/ numbers since joining the Halos.

Well, here's my take:

1.) Cards obviously wouldn't want him back with his huge remaining contract.

2.) the Pujols signing when made, unlike some others (let me count the ways -- Gary Matthews Jr.; Vernon Wells, Josh Hamilton) was not universally panned DAY ONE. Some folks thought TEN YEARS was too much to be sure and that the downside of the deal could start as soon as year five or six........but overall -- Halos fans were elated with the signing of Pujols. I know that I was.

3.) he got off to a slow start in the AL -- but has done fairly well since and --folks  -- he has 10 HRs this season and is playing much better than last year.......he's having a good season.

4) unlike those other signings mentioned in number 2 above -- all of which were universally panned by Haloswin,com board members on DAY ONE (so no Monday morning quarterbacking from regs here -- I mean our regs disagree -- sometimes vehemently -- but they all AGREED on GMJ, Wells and Hamilton signings DAY ONE -- terrible move).........on the Pujols signing -- I'd do it again.

5.) So give future HOF'er Albert Pujols (who is having a good season so far in 2015) a break and give Arte a break -- it was a huge deal for us and still even understanding the downside at the second half of his (too long) deal........

6.) Given the same information at the time Pujols was signed and the same situation -- I do that again.

7.) Pujols then, clearly, is not why our Halos are at .500 or less at the ASG break.........

8.) Pujols signing was not a mistake (number of years, maybe, but then we don't get him)...........

i liked wells and rooted hard and thought he would be great.  I think that was one of the first crappy contracts for a team that got to offload the player and only take back so little of the contract.  I was saying only the angels would get a deal like that...horrible.

Huh? A lot of AW regs liked the Wells trade and defended it for ages. And the Hamilton signing wasn't universally panned. What website are you reading?

I think there was some hope that Wells would be at least be decent but everybody, and I mean everybody here and everywhere in baseball, thought taking on all of Wells' money was just downright stupid.....

Liked it originally, yes, defended it for ages, absolutely not.

I was the same way.  I only reason I liked the trade was because Scioscia had some kind of problem with Napoli so he wasn't going to play anyway and Rivera never seemed to fit.  I thought a move to real grass would do Wells some good.  When the writing was on the wall, I joined in on the bashing.

Almost nobody here liked the gmj deal. Wells trade was probably 50/50. Everyone who disliked the Hamilton and pujols deals were told it's not our money. I didn't like any of those deals but guys I did like ended up flopping like Dunn, teixeira, and chase headley.

I remember the majority of the opinion on the Wells deal was that it was a stupid move at the time. When it first happened, a lot of people were on the fence until they felt deal would be revealed (like prospects or cash back from TOR). They quickly fell off the fence when they heard no one else was on their way here and we were assuming the entire contract. After that, lots of folks hope he would pan out but weren't certain while there were maybe a handful of adamant defenders. It was a shit deal from the beginning but Wells' play was even worse than we could imagine. Arte should have taken a clue and stayed out of Pujols and Hamilton FAs, but it took two whoppers to really drive the message home: just write the checks and leave baseball to the baseball people

You would think that logically, picking someone up that is over 30 and has put up big numbers primarily in hitters parks would be a dumb move since the Big A will eat them up.

It does seem that this has happened multiple times and they (Management) just don't remember.

It will happen again when we trade for Ryan howard

You would think that logically, picking someone up that is over 30 and has put up big numbers primarily in hitters parks would be a dumb move since the Big A will eat them up.

It does seem that this has happened multiple times and they (Management) just don't remember.

Yep. Plus home plate wasn't alligned properly.